Cutting Hoses On Mags

dustyw

Is it easy to shorten the hoses on magura hs 33s 2007. ive just bought a bike off a friend and it had no brakes and ordered some hs33s which should arrive in a few days. Apparently they come with full length hoses on both brakes which means i got to cut the front one. Any tips on how to do it easily without need for professional tool or stuff like that. thanks

Is it easy to shorten the hoses on magura hs 33s 2007. ive just bought a bike off a friend and it had no brakes and ordered some hs33s which should arrive in a few days. Apparently they come with full length hoses on both brakes which means i got to cut the front one. Any tips on how to do it easily without need for professional tool or stuff like that. thanks

I used my dads machete, clean cut as fook lol or use a cleaver. You think im joking dont you <_< no it really works. im sure a sharp stanley knife will do the job fine.

JK

right well thanks but i could have guessed that u can cut it with anything but i wanted to know if u need to rebleed and whether the fluid will come out.... ill jst use a scalpel knife to cut the hose but will the fluid come out cos i cant be arsed to bleed them cos i dnt know how yet. ive read some places that u jst remove the olive cut it and stick it back together...just wondered if this is true... thanks.

right well thanks but i could have guessed that u can cut it with anything but i wanted to know if u need to rebleed and whether the fluid will come out.... ill jst use a scalpel knife to cut the hose but will the fluid come out cos i cant be arsed to bleed them cos i dnt know how yet. ive read some places that u jst remove the olive cut it and stick it back together...just wondered if this is true... thanks.

well yes fluid will come out, but its not a problem as you can re bleed it with water witch i think feels better. here is the link for re bleeding the brake link but to be honest if you don't know how to do it or don't have the tools then i would just leave it be and just loop the front hose and cable tie it. Matt

Edited by matt-ko bike

basically,you will pretty much be guaranteed to need to re-bleed (that rhymes!!).and you will need a new olive to,if i remember rightly,when the bolt is done up it pinches the olive up onto the hose,meaning you cant get it off.but its been a few years since i cut a hose down.

chances are though,it'll turn up pre cut.where'd you order them from?

Carl

hi i dont think you can cut down the hoses on muguras i think you will have to buy new hoses for them mate write back.

from mitch.

hi i dont think you can cut down the hoses on muguras i think you will have to buy new hoses for them mate write back.

from mitch.

you can cut hoses (use a stanley knife) and if done properly u shouldn't need to re-bleed, just back of the tpa an put the lever at a horizontal position on the bars before removing the tubing from the lever and keep the hosing below the heiaght of the lever an it should work fine, if however it feels spongy after that then you'll probably need a re-bleed.

• 1 month later...

cut the hose with summat sharp as said, but providing you dont pull the lever once cut, you shouldnt lose any fuild, there for you wont need to re bleed them...duno why every 1 sayin they will need rebleeding!. ive done several maguras and never had to re bleed them :S , just take it steady. easy as anything!

this is what you need mate http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=315

Edited by thornabytrials.co.uk