Sorting Freewheels

Domo131

Hello, yesterday i was jumping off random things and all of a sudden my free-wheel started jamming up, grinding and just generally being stiff. It seems to jam on all the time now. I assume this is fairly terminal and i need to replace it.

Please can somebody tell me how i am supposed to get off, clean, replace and service rear free-wheels. I don't even know what type it is. Its the standard one that comes with a Base TA20. If you know which other free-wheels would fit then i would be grateful if you could tell me.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated as i really want to get back on my bike.

Thanks, Dom.

i recommend to change it, i had the same problem with my try-all freewheel.

the best way to get it off is going to a bikeshop, taking it off without any previous knowledge can damage your crank or hub.

for new freewheel you should get tensile or ENO trials freewheel if your freewheel is with 18 teeth

dont buy the same one again if you don't want the same thing to happen again.

When you get your new one try taing the old one apart and see what's inside it, freewhees are simple things, but they are hassle to work at if they have loose bearings....

If it is a cheap freewheel you probably wouldn't be able to get replacement part for it, so i would recommended buying a new one. Also get an expensive one (eno, tensile, try-all) not an acs claw because believe me in the long run it WILL work out cheaper!

One more thing make sure you have a bl*ody long poll pole handy when you try to get it off because they are a pain to get off, i used my old frame to get mine off :lol:

One more thing make sure you have a bl*ody long poll pole handy when you try to get it off because they are a pain to get off, i used my old frame to get mine off :lol:

haha >_< i used a 6m pipe, it was quite easy then :shifty: but also broke 2 tools

Hello, yesterday i was jumping off random things and all of a sudden my free-wheel started jamming up, grinding and just generally being stiff. It seems to jam on all the time now. I assume this is fairly terminal and i need to replace it.

Please can somebody tell me how i am supposed to get off, clean, replace and service rear free-wheels. I don't even know what type it is. Its the standard one that comes with a Base TA20. If you know which other free-wheels would fit then i would be grateful if you could tell me.

Any advice on this would be most appreciated as i really want to get back on my bike.

Thanks, Dom.

ite mate i think you should get a try all freewheel. most people recomend the ENO freewheel but the only reason is beacause you can by loads of spares for it but it is about 80 90 pound , the try all is only £50 some of my friends have got try all freewheel and they sed thats the best they have had and have not had no problems with it yet ???????????? :(