The Answer To Life, The Universe And Everything

*PHIL*

Hi all.

Finally got my bike back after 2 weeks in some stinking shop.

I'm trying to fit a Rohloff tensioner and as you can see from this photo its not gonna work!

rohloff.jpg

The guy in the shop moved the sprocket inwards for better chain alignment when there was no tensioner on there at all.

Any ideas on what I can do?

I would just move the sprocket back to where it was but then, the guy moved it for a reason, it wouldn't be a good chain line.

Cheers

PHIL

Edited by himynameisphil

put the spacers the other way round, and u will prob also have to file some metal off the mech hanger to get the jocky perfectly aligned.

only way u can get perfect chainline is if u get the spacers custom made.

Put the spacers where?? you mean put the tensioner on the inside of the frame? oh i get it, the spacers on the sprocket.. yeah thats what i thought

Longer BB i say and move the cog back forward aswell.

not an option like, already spent far too much on this bike. plus it would be in the shop for a month

Edited by himynameisphil

move the cog out by using s/s speed spacers dmr do them they have 3 one thick 2 thin or get a old casset and split it and use the spacers from it, also get a longer bottom bracket i had to get a 127mm for the caisso which done the job

Put the spacers where?? you mean put the tensioner on the inside of the frame? oh i get it, the spacers on the sprocket.. yeah thats what i thought

not an option like, already spent far too much on this bike. plus it would be in the shop for a month

the two massive great spacers that are either side of your rear cog,,,one is narrower than the other.

swap them so the cog is further towards the dropout simple realy :mellow:

u may need some spacers inbetween your tensioner and mech hanger outer face

Edited by Chris Abbey

Swap the spacers over first and see what the chain line is like if its totally off then, just get a set of spacers that is comprised of smaller ones and not a big and a small one then. With the smaller spacers you will be able to move the spacers around more and get a more accurate good chain line.

the two massive great spacers that are either side of your rear cog,,,one is narrower than the other.

swap them so the cog is further towards the dropout simple realy :mellow:

yeah.. i actually suggested that in my first post and as i said it would give me bad chain alignment.

ill try and swap them over tomorrow and see what happens..

cheers for the help all

You could try bolting the Rohloff to the inside of the hanger rather than the outside. Looking at it, it may shift the chainline a bit further inwards, but it'll be better 2 or 3 mil in rather than 10 or 12 out.

Chainwhip and Cassette tool. (Y)

Can use 2 blocks of wood and a vice rather than a chainwhip on a singlespeed though. Just anything thats gunna hold the sprocket from turning backwards but not damage the sprocket.

You could try bolting the Rohloff to the inside of the hanger rather than the outside. Looking at it, it may shift the chainline a bit further inwards, but it'll be better 2 or 3 mil in rather than 10 or 12 out.

and the rolhoff 'arm' isnt threaded. so what will it tighten too?

then you will need a new nut and bolt?

Chainwhip and Cassette tool. (Y)

Can use 2 blocks of wood and a vice rather than a chainwhip on a singlespeed though. Just anything thats gunna hold the sprocket from turning backwards but not damage the sprocket.

hey more tools i dont have!! cheers for the info ill have a crack at this later

Hey just thought I'd post here sayin I swapped over the spacers and now the rohloff is fitted and in a pretty good line with the sprocket.

Overall chain line isn't too bad either, still quiet and that. But it doesn't skip anymore!! I can finally ride my bike.

--------------

The rear wheel is proper dished though (I think).

Is there anyway to put a washer/spacer between the hub and dropout on the non drivetrain side and get a shorter spacer on the other with the sprocket?

If this is unheard of then my wheel must be dished as it is too far over to the left. Brakes keep rubbing just on the left side.

Once again thanks for all the advice.

PHIL

and the rolhoff 'arm' isnt threaded. so what will it tighten too?

then you will need a new nut and bolt?

Put the bolt through from the hub side, through the rohloff arm and into the hanger ;)

Put the bolt through from the hub side, through the rohloff arm and into the hanger ;)

oh yeah btw i tried this and it just wasn't happening. the rohloff wouldn't fit on inside because of the sprocket spacer.

plus there was nothing to keep it from spinning all the way round... if you get what i mean

oh yeah btw i tried this and it just wasn't happening. the rohloff wouldn't fit on inside because of the sprocket spacer.

plus there was nothing to keep it from spinning all the way round... if you get what i mean

:D I wont say i told you so edd :P

On a seperate note, i need to ask your expert opinion on my brake mount... i'll try and remember to text you in the morning about it.