Rimjam Pads

Simpson

Thankyou for your honesty i really do respect that :)

These seriously are the best pads i have used

Yea no doubt running them on my f**ked rim with a shit bleed they were super! just a shame about the backings i guess! how much of a different do the "cnc" backings give then? cant imagine the pads flexing too much and the pads did weigh a hell of a lot

Mine hasnt snapped or anything yet... well, i dont think they have :ermm:

Well thats part of the reason im a bit :S because surley i would have noticed if it had happened before i put my rimjams :S but saying that i had actually finished bleeding them (with them off the bike) before i noticed :S

YE ! it has just done the same with mine i was well peeeeeeeeeved off luckly my dad found me a new pison at his workshop :P

gayyyyyy

Yea i mean its not the end of the world just effort sourcing a new cyclinder and wondering what to do with the pads i have with full compound on them which are sitting out in the garage... repleace the backings with som standard ones?

Edited by Simpson

the Echo ones cost too much...

If you get a Magura, then buy Echo CNC clamps, Echo brake pads and upgrade the hosing and new lever blade, it gets expensive.

Tart sells the Echo one for £135 (single) and a pair of Maguras for £125... But considering they're new and higher quality its fairly understandable :)

This problem only came apparent to me the week before last. As soon as we found out we stopped selling them, we have not sold any since and neither has Tarty.

We found that the alloy backings we deforming after heavy use, and basically the more they were used, the more the prongs would deform letting the pads move from side to side and therefore resting on the piston and eventually snapping it.

The problem is being resolved, we are currently changing to a different metal compound and thickening up the backing in places to generally add strength.

I would like to appologise for any inconvenience and i will update you all on any progress.

Chris.

would testing not of been better? if they had been tested (im sure they were and im being a retatrd :P) but would this not of been made aparant?

would testing not of been better? if they had been tested (im sure they were and im being a retatrd :P) but would this not of been made aparant?

Meh well i only rode on them 2ce and im not a "big boy" rider either so i cant really understand it! maybe how i use my brakes rather than how big the riding is? like joe's sponsered by rimjam and hasnt had a problem but he doesnt really use his brakes an awfull lot......

My rimjams didn't snap the magura's. My joypads snapped a cylinder clip though.

I think now brake pads are getting to a standard where they work excessively well the mounting system used isn't good enough for them. If deng were to sell the calipers seperately he'd make a fortune. I'd be willing to pay around £40-60 for a pair. Its not really chris's fault. I know for a fact he's been using his for ages now and he's not had any problems, he's not exactly a poor rider either... he's better than i am, and his are fine.

Your using high grade pads on a low grade cast magura part, its like fitting a 203mm avid bb7 with an avid ultimate lever and sintered pads onto a pair of light guys then complaining when the fork legs snapped off. Its bound to happen as one is significantly better than the other.

I know, it sucks, your bike was running fine. But its hardly chris's fault, and he's stopped selling them now too because of the problems. Its not a cool thing to happen, but its not the end of the world. I'm sure you'd prefer being at this extreme end of the spectrum having immense pads than being stuck with magura blacks :lol:.

Yea ive been looking into those denguras actually.... ill keep my eye out for a set on the cheep :) and i know what you mean about the material difference but how much difference do the CNC'ed backings work?

Yea ive been looking into those denguras actually.... ill keep my eye out for a set on the cheep :) and i know what you mean about the material difference but how much difference do the CNC'ed backings work?

Well the force of you braking suddenly is absorbed primarily by the backings, as they push against those prongs. With plastic backings the plastic can bend and get squashed and you won't notice a problem. But as soon as you introduce a backing thats stronger than the slave's prong is then its the prong that does the bending and the flexing... with it being metal, bending and flexing results in eventual snapping. So combine these stronger backings with extremely powerful brake compounds and the forces on the prongs become a lot greater, meaning it'll snap quicker.

metal backing rip your prongs off

*claps*

I can't see why Chris refuses to use the standard backings that everyone else is using. They work, they're cheap. I don't really see the point in metal backings anyway.

they make the brake sound better, look better and a little bit stiffer.

i'm still running the same set of backings i made 2 years ago. not snapped a cylinder yet, changed maggie a few months ago. probably a mix of luck, good materials and good size of the backings.

*claps*

I can't see why Chris refuses to use the standard backings that everyone else is using. They work, they're cheap. I don't really see the point in metal backings anyway.

Why would i want to sell something the same as hundreds of other people are making? I have many standard backings stitting here, i also have the moulds to make the pads but they look just like any other pad on the market.

Rimjam has always, and will always make brake pads different from the rest of the competition, and very reasonable prices, its what we do. With the V3's we have got the compound perfect, we just need to tweak the backings (Which we are now doing) to sort out the problems that have appeared. The V4's will be hopefully be on test next week with our riders, and once i am happy with them, they will be back on sale.

Chris.

Yea ok im sorry man i didnt mean for this to critisise your company at all, and maybe i have over reacted just another one of those things in the list of things that have been wrong with my brakes! ill look forward to running those V4 pads then :)

urm........

your a willy

Yes, it was 7 or 8 years ago we did aluminum backed pads. There were a range of issues.

1. If the hole with the rubber grommet was made to fit quite snug to the nipple (little plastic thing sticking out from slave that backing clicks onto), this caused undo stress on the nipple and some broke.

2. If the hole was slack enough fitting to avoid that issue than the problem was that when you put the brakes on while moving the play was enough that it would move.....then slam the backing... thus making more stress on the guide/prongs.

3. If guide/prongs were not smooth there could be issues with the movement of pad.

4. Finally, there is the issue of the TPA. If pads are tested on new well adjusted brakes it does not show itself....but as your pads wear down and you twist the TPA knob....the further the nipple pushes out so pad can hit rim........thus the leverage to break it is greatly increased.

For those reasons we decided not to continue the aluminum backed pads. Having said all of that, the breakages were not wide spread....in fact, reletively small....but if you were at competition and one of these things happened that was little consolation. It looks like alot of new pad companies have been wading into the aluminum backed waters, and solved alot of the issues we had. I am glad to see continuous research on this front.

Last note on this. Aluminum backed pads do NOTHING for braking power...period. However, it does provide a stiffer feel at the lever......and if that is what works best for you it is an improvement. To date we have yet to find anything but the material itself to improve braking (as it relates to the pad).

This was waaay longer note than

Edited by Tim/Trialsin USA

iv snaped to of the niples that push the pad out and now i have snaped the backing :S i have had problems with pads not griping befor but not the pad compltly dieing id be happy to help test the v4s even if im not a amazing rider seem i have put the pads to the test still can't fult the power of the pads really really gripy love the compound maybe just need to work on backing's hope everything gets sorted ill defantly be sticking with rim jam after these pads love the bite (Y)

Cheers Jack :)

Why would i want to sell something the same as hundreds of other people are making? I have many standard backings stitting here, i also have the moulds to make the pads but they look just like any other pad on the market.

Because yours don't work.

I don't know when you started and what your first product was, but my first set of after market pads were yours, rimjam blues in the white backings. Yes, they did look different from everybody elses but they broke very quickly. The clips came off the backings.

Then, you tweaked the design, and the slightly off-white backings came out, they were the same too. Clips broke off them after a few days of riding.

Now you bring the metal ones out, and they're having similar problems.

I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything, i mean i respect you a great deal for putting the effort into trying to make good afforable pads, the more people making pads and any other trials parts the better, but it just seems wrong that standard backings are available to you for probably very cheap prices, and they work. Why not take advantage of that? And spend more time looking into a better compounds etc rather than the backings.

If the compound is as good as you say it is, you'll sell them no problems, even if they look like everyone elses.

Edited by JT!

called me biased and sticking up for a mate...

but ive never had ANY problems with ANY rimjam pads...starting from the 1ST ever set of pads ive used..

I seriosly think its the way some of people set your brakes up..

I've seen loads of old rimjams with the clips broken. Mine (looking at 2 pairs now), and two other riders. In fact, on one of them, the pads would just fall out if it wasn't for the rim keeping them in.

There was a handful of topics about rimjam pads clips braking, and also topics about how they wore down over a few days, this was becuase the clips were braking, and the corner of the pads would dig into the rim.

You never hear these things comming from people with zoo pads etc.

Edited by JT!

I've seen loads of old rimjams with the clips broken. Mine (looking at 2 pairs now), and two other riders. In fact, on one of them, the pads would just fall out if it wasn't for the rim keeping them in.

There was a handful of topics about rimjam pads clips braking, and also topics about how they wore down over a few days, this was becuase the clips were braking, and the corner of the pads would dig into the rim.

You never hear these things comming from people with zoo pads etc.

because there to busy bumming deng..

you can critisize(sp)all u like...could also learn not to be a bad jock :)

Me personally have never ran Rim jam pads but what i saw/heard of Sam Wheeler's in Birmingham they were beasty. Then again Jonny Mc's set just completely f**ked up. Clips snapped and the pads snapped in half.

A few of my mates ran the old rim jams (the reds, greens and blue's). All of theres f**ked up also. Clips either snapped, wore down stupidly quick, wobbled in the cylinders.

Apart from Sam Wheelers i have seen/heard nothing but bad things about Rim jam pads i am afraid to say.

Danny.

Jonny Mc's:

gallery_8782_1423_36362.jpg

gallery_8782_1423_115710.jpg

gallery_8782_1423_18920.jpg

Edited by Danny Kearns

you can critisize(sp)all u like...could also learn not to be a bad jock :)

I don't know what a 'bad jock' is. :turned:

I really don't want to come off like i'm criticizing. Hell, i made a pad out of cheese and that was hard enough as it was. But i just think the decision to not use the standard backings was a poor one.