Rimjam Pads

Simpson

Hey you. Today i was trying to re-build my bike and in doing so found that 1 of the teeth of the 4 "prongs" that hold the pad on has snapped off. This really puzzled me as i havent heard of it happening to many other before. It turns out it has happened to a mates of mine too but only after running rimjam pads!

This has pissed me off loads as i have only run the pads for about 2 rides, and i have heard that there is a fault with them and this is causing this to happen.... 16quid pissed up the wall on a new cyclinder and 18quid of a new pair of pads because im not risking it again? rimjam messing up there backings?

thinking of replacing pad material into normal pads as im really not happy....

I think the same thing happend to jack balman , he was telling about it on saturday, his have snapped and done some damage to one of the slaves so he had to replace it :( did you get yours from Joe maher ? because I did and I hope that don't happen to me!

oui its jack im talking about... maybe just some twisted coincidence then?

Just saying that they've done some hard ridng, i havnt just been pissing about on a kerb! ^_^

Chill man!

I WILL have you know a LOT of hard work has gone into my kerb riding and lots of time trying to avoid doing school work :P na its ok sorry for being a bit snappy just i havent had a "true" set up for ages and just got my rear wheel sorted and now this... just makes you feel aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

and also a bit pissed that if they know they have a problem why there still selling them

I can understand why this has happend, my pads only just pop into the cylinder whole, and dont shake, or move at all on the cylinder, also the cnc'ed backings are seriously tight around the 4 wall things. I guess this would make the shock go into these and brake them off.

I've also heard they have stopped these backings and are making new ones out of a different metal. Don't quote me on it though B)

I'll keep a look out on mine, but so far they have been outstanding.

Ben

serious? well to be honest it WANK... all ive got to say

Edit: wallys been reading the thread for 20 mins or so.. why havent you posted? all i need to know is, is there a problem with these pad backings as i know its not just me experiencing these problems and the cyclinders arnt over 4 month old and its well annoying....

Edited by Simpson

this isnt a new problem by anymeans... about 5-6 years ago maybe more now plazmatic had magura pads with blue aluminium backings (the first ones ever) and red brake material (some of u may remember). Well these were quickly discontinued (although i have a unused set sitting in my lil box of gooodies) because there is slight movement in all magura pads between the square outline of the pad backing and the four prongs that hold them in place. The force at which the weel rotates then suddenly has to stop is enought that the stronger material in aluminium was causing the prongs to just snap off- due to that small amount of moovement in the pad - did i explain that alright? Its a real pain in the arse and im sorry to hear its stil happening... hope u get it sorted and imo stick to plastic backings. It may not have happend to many people... but imo if it happens once thats bad enough - it means it does and can happen.

not sure how that helps you... but atleast ul know its nothing spectacularly new.

good luck

Edited by streetjibs

Rb booster on there.... no vibration i can imagine...

No mate thanks a bunch! of least someones giving me a decent answer as to why this might be happening.... tempted to put the plasic in some different backings although thats a pain in the ass'ole

Mine hasnt snapped or anything yet... well, i dont think they have :ermm:

Personally, we need more rear trials specific brakes... the maguras are XC brakes, the Echo ones cost too much...

But to be fair, if you were runnng the pads on a echo brake, the same problem wouldnt accure...

This problem only came apparent to me the week before last. As soon as we found out we stopped selling them, we have not sold any since and neither has Tarty.

We found that the alloy backings we deforming after heavy use, and basically the more they were used, the more the prongs would deform letting the pads move from side to side and therefore resting on the piston and eventually snapping it.

The problem is being resolved, we are currently changing to a different metal compound and thickening up the backing in places to generally add strength.

I would like to appologise for any inconvenience and i will update you all on any progress.

Chris.

The old rimjam pads, i used to help test, when u first started chris, doubt you remeber me though, well they snapped and wobbled like a bitch, ive still got a set of the old blue ones that in stead of snapping just stretched to the point where they wobbled so bad.

good luck resolving the problem, mite be 50x easyer to actually buy aload of Magura backings and Fit the material urself. And could be more cost effective.