Braided Cross Overs..what Do You Use And Where From?

hugh_b

Hey guys, my cross over on my rear brake has begun towear out and i dont want it splitting when i'm riding so i'm going to buy a braided cross over/hose kit. I know tarty's can make them up but you need to run a water bleed because of the narrow fittings, However i dont want to do this as i want to keep the warranty on my brakes so i'll be running the normal mineral oil. Ive had a look around and noticed magura do a complete kit from chainreaction cycles. this could be handy as i would then have spares but has anyone used this or anything else?? Are the cross overs long enough and do they have problems with leaking etc?? cheers-Hugh

Hey guys, my cross over on my rear brake has begun towear out and i dont want it splitting when i'm riding so i'm going to buy a braided cross over/hose kit. I know tarty's can make them up but you need to run a water bleed because of the narrow fittings, However i dont want to do this as i want to keep the warranty on my brakes so i'll be running the normal mineral oil. Ive had a look around and noticed magura do a complete kit from chainreaction cycles. this could be handy as i would then have spares but has anyone used this or anything else?? Are the cross overs long enough and do they have problems with leaking etc?? cheers-Hugh

Tell them you washed the cylinder out with water before sending ;). They won't know the difference.

but the feeling of having water in a braided hose kit is like oil in a standard hose kit.

well thats fine then but i dont want to run water as the seals are dramatically reduced in life. All sorted now, ordered a unex one from supercycles-a bargain 2!

unex ones arent supposed to be that good

whoops just searched and it does seem that way. i have about a metre of magura braided hose though but no fittings, could i use the fittings off the unex hose to build a crossover with genuine magura hose? cheers-Hugh

I had a unex crossever on the rear and it was great , not spongey or anything.I got it from supercycles but i dont think they sell them

alone anymore , does anyone know where i could get one from?

thanks

deonn

Deonn i have just ordered 2 from them for £5 each!! they have all the bits and just make them up for you. just give them a ring and they should sort you one out bud. :)

I've been running the Magura kit for about a month now, bought it because the plastic hoses kept kinking at the lever when I dropped the bike. They have worked fantastically from the word go & there was no problem with the crossover being too narrow. (I'm running them on an Echo Control, set all the way out.)

I have about a metre of magura braided hose though but no fittings, could i use the fittings off the unex hose to build a crossover with genuine magura hose?

That would depend on whether the Unex fittings are crimped into place or assembled by screwing two halves together. Also if the hose diameter is different the fittings probably won't transfer too well. Well worth taking a look at it though.

You probably could use standard barbed fittings on the braided hose but I imagine the stainless cover would start to unravel quite quickly & you'd almost certainly start catching your ankles on the spikey bits.

I'd also not be too sure about whether the plastic inner of the braided lines would be tough enough to work with barbed fittings under pressure??

Hope X-overs (Y) am going to put one on mine this week.

i knocked mine sunday and it started leaking at section 8 :P luckily it didnt leak loads.

as others have said the Unex ones you have to be pretty leaniant with, you cant go OTT with tightening etc, i have had one on that lasted ages, but when i was fitting mine was careful. (Y):)

Waynio......................

well thats fine then but i dont want to run water as the seals are dramatically reduced in life. All sorted now, ordered a unex one from supercycles-a bargain 2!

Prove it :P

People have had water in for 4-6 years before without problems. I've been running it in mine for nearly 2 and the only thing i've had wrong with it is the maggie pad clip pin on the cylinder snapped off.

They just aren't lubed all the time like with oil, Which a quick drop of 3-in-1 and a wipe with a tissue will cure for a good month or so. Water feels a lot better, has a faster response time and is a lot easier to replace mid-ride.

Prove it :P

People have had water in for 4-6 years before without problems. I've been running it in mine for nearly 2 and the only thing i've had wrong with it is the maggie pad clip pin on the cylinder snapped off.

They just aren't lubed all the time like with oil, Which a quick drop of 3-in-1 and a wipe with a tissue will cure for a good month or so. Water feels a lot better, has a faster response time and is a lot easier to replace mid-ride.

well thats what i was told by tartys :P:lol: I just thought it was best to go on what they thought. cheers-hugh

well thats what i was told by tartys :P:lol: I just thought it was best to go on what they thought. cheers-hugh

They'll tell you that so they aren't responsible. If they said waters fine then you have a load of problems they'd be liable... Which isn't fair on them as its common knowledge that their generally fine with water. They shouldn't be held responsible for your brake having broken because "tartybikes said it was okay".

Water works, it feels all wrong to me though, I notice the lack of oilyness. Paraffin definately works, been using that a few months now (Y)

Just don't bail and produce sparks and a split hose at the same time.... flamethrower maggie :lol: