What Budget Rear Disk?

planet x alan

hey all.

should have a mod sorted soon, and id like to run double disk. not sure what i wanna put on it though, as i dont have much to spend. i was thinking maybe hayes hmx2's the cable ones in 160mm. just wondering if there is any problems running a cable disk on the rear? if so what? or if you know of any brakes that work better for a similar sorta price?

thanks.

i've had a shimano deore hydraulic on my street hardtail, haven't bled it or changed the pads for over two years!! and it still locks well enough! shimano rotors are pretty durable too. had a fair few less-than-gentle collisions with things and its still pretty much straight!

Well I have hayes 6" brakes on my dh bike and they stop me easily when going at speed so they are easily good enough. You might want to get the shorter lever though becasue theyre made to be used with a few fingers.

Not nesicarily true. My Shimano LX's are amazing from speed. But theres no way I'd think about using them for trials properly. They just dont lock. Amazing from Fast-1mph Shite from 1-0mph. It's just the way they are.

Not nesicarily true. My Shimano LX's are amazing from speed. But theres no way I'd think about using them for trials properly. They just dont lock. Amazing from Fast-1mph Shite from 1-0mph. It's just the way they are.

that 203mm LX was nice on my echo.

Cool. Wasn't doubting there good breaks, just saying the two dont nesicarily come hand in hand.

Yeah, it was alright liam, but it wouldnt really have held gaps to front, or any rear wheel stuff. Meh.

Anyway, as your on a budget. Shimano M525s seem really good for the money. I'm sure a pretty good guy from somewhere in the far east was using them on a 26" Ko or something with 180 rotors and said they seemed good. And a mates got a 160mm one on the front of his Levelboss mod that works dam well Think there 50ish on CRC.

You could buy my rear mono trials for 65 pounds :- . PM me if your interested. Its in the for sale/wanted somewhere if you want pics.

This seems like the best idea if you have a front brake sorted already. After all it is a rear mono trials, which would be better than most brakes unless you manage to find a cheap BB7.

Cheers, Joe