Kmc 710 Chain

Yetiman

I have a new KMC Kool 710 chain and the joining link seems exceptional big in its width..... ie: the pins seem much longer than the other links in the chain therefore it has a couple of MM gap on the side between the side plate and the retaining clip. This obviously allows the chain line to run on an angle. Is this normal for this model of chain or have I been given an odd size joining link? Having a few issues with the chain trying to skip and wondering if this may be it. (have read other threads on chain slippage already)

Cheers

Tried to shorten the chain without the link but I am about half a link off.... went to several LBS today with no luck. So will have to stick with using the link until i can get some half or extra links.

Figured out why it seemed to be skipping though; as it rolls through the tensioner it ocassionally catches the metal bracket of the chain tensioner, which 'bucks' the tensioner and starts the ball rolling for the chain to slip.... removed the bracket from the tensioner and all seems ok until the new links arrive.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you not have any links left from when you shortened the chain to fit it?

Makes sense as to why its skipping too. :turned:

Nop, it came as is on the bike.

Have read several other posts on differnet forums on using the joining link and most reports rate the strength of the KMC kool joiner link. Might be worth continuing to try now I have sorted the problem at the tensioner. Although the joiner link looks like it would suit a wider chain like a 3'32 or something.... Still think I will get some extra links.