To Much Money, So Camera Getting Sexed Up.

Willy

Hay all,

First off I use a Canon 350D,

Second, im after a fisheye for it, around £100 to £300, Ive heard good things about peleng, but cant find anywhere to buy them? And if anyone has any recomendations please do tell and give links! (please no ebay)

Third, im after a slave flash aswell, i really have no idea about these so please suggestions, i dont know what ill need or anything so please do help, and advice on price, the cheaper the better! (ebay allowed)

Cheers all, any help appricaed.

Willy

For the Fisheye, it depends how pro you wanna go really. The Peleng is good because it's cheap and it's so crazy. Makes everything super-wide and weird which is either a good or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. It's not very automatic though, the aperture/focus is controlled on the lens itself. But Fatmike has taken lots of decent pics with his, so it's up to you. F/stop and OBM will recommend the Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fish. It's a classier piece of kit but more expensive (£230 ish of the top of my head) and not as wide. It is faster though, and altogether probably a more sensible lens to have. I would definitely consider the Sigma 10-30 though. It's not a fisheye, but it is very wide, and it's supposed to be very good optically. They are just shy of £300 though, and have weird distortion on things close up so they're not always great for stuff like trials :(

As for the flash, I presume you mean some kind of off-camera system? With Canon it's not so easy as with Nikon, you will need (I think) a flash and an IR transmitter/reciever. You can get that off ebay for around £20 if you can put up with the cheapness. For the flash itself, you can't go wrong with a Sigma EF Super, about £128 from here: http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/

Just like to point out you really don't need anything extra to run wireless on Canons - I'm not sure why people think that.

Just put the sigma flash (which is the one I'd reccomend) on slave mode, and you then just use your pop-up flash to trigger it. Obviously there are better ways of doing it, cables, little transmitters, pocket wizards, but optical triggering works.

(Edit: yeah, it's the EF 500 DG Super flash you'll be wanting)

Yeah, fisheye wise, you've got a few options depending how wide you want.

The 8mm peleng's a great lens if you don't mind doing some cropping to your images to remove the vignetting, and it's very wide and nice. You can get a 16mm zenitar for cheap, which again is nice, sharp - manual focus only. You could spend a lot more on a sigma/canon 15mm fisheye, but same with the zenitar, they're really not that wide on a crop camera.

The other option is to go for a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom lens. I've just got mine, and it seems really good - just not had much chance to use it yet. It's pretty pricey over here, but get one from ebay, or shipped over from america and you're sorted. I think mine worked out at about £270. :)

(Edit: Re the 10-20 - yeah a great lens, and very usefull for when you really need a wide rectilinear, but I found it really not that great for trials, the distortion was just too much! Fisheyes give a much more natual effect.)

Mike.

sigma ef 500 dg super

i think its in that order lol, but i love mine and u can get em for less than 150!!!!

and fat mike is right u can set the flash off with your onbord flash, but i persoanlly find it difficult to get pics i want

Edited by Davetrials

The other option is to go for a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom lens. I've just got mine, and it seems really good - just not had much chance to use it yet. It's pretty pricey over here, but get one from ebay, or shipped over from america and you're sorted. I think mine worked out at about £270. :)

(Edit: Re the 10-20 - yeah a great lens, and very usefull for when you really need a wide rectilinear, but I found it really not that great for trials, the distortion was just too much! Fisheyes give a much more natual effect.)

Mike.

Let me know how the Tokina performs Mike. I was gonna get the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye but then found the 10-17mm so dunno what I'm gonna do now.

Edited by MonsterJ

and fat mike is right u can set the flash off with your onbord flash, but i persoanlly find it difficult to get pics i want

In what way?

But yeah, definitely recommend the Sigma flash. Saw one at £115 BIN price, ridiculous...

I'm all about the Sigma 15mm too, just nice 'n' sharp and gives pretty good results. Just a pity about the crop body I've got :P

Cheers all,

Going to get the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye lens for £270 off ebay. Cheers fot that mike, really like the look of it (Y)

And for the flash im getting the Sigma EF Super.

Cheers all, Tf knowladge *** (Y)

Willy

In what way?

But yeah, definitely recommend the Sigma flash. Saw one at £115 BIN price, ridiculous...

I'm all about the Sigma 15mm too, just nice 'n' sharp and gives pretty good results. Just a pity about the crop body I've got :P

i usually find it doesnt give me very good results, the pictures are usually drowned out:( have u got any good pics from using that method mark?

or do u have one of those magic thingies that trigers the sigma without the onboard flash

Does the Sigma have pre-flash compensation or something? Otherwise how could it trigger off the on-board flash?

Just got an optical trigger, Chris. Same as on many studio lights. (Y)

Edit: Sorry, just re-read what you'd written Chris. Obviously the sigma doesn't set off the on-board flash, it's the other way round...

Argh, silly powercut, lost what I was typing...

Anyways.

Optical triggers are fairly reliable when it's dark, can work over long distances. They do work in the daylight too, just obviously not to the same distance.

The cheap triggers don't work very reliably past 5m or so, whereas my pocket wizards will do over 100X that (1600ft).

distancezd7.jpg

(Part of the panorama I did recently)

Argh, silly powercut, lost what I was typing...

Anyways.

Optical triggers are fairly reliable when it's dark, can work over long distances. They do work in the daylight too, just obviously not to the same distance.

The cheap triggers don't work very reliably past 5m or so, whereas my pocket wizards will do over 100X that (1600ft).

distancezd7.jpg

(Part of the panorama I did recently)

Shame we cant all afford pocket wizards. Especially me, with 3 flash's that would be the best part of a grand on PW's, NICE!!

how much was it chris?

im still in town minds about the peleng, but i dunno if i can justify splashing out for a proper fish eye.

whats not proper about it? its manual focus and app. but thats not too bad. it was around 180 :( . A bit annopying was just before xmas i saw them on ebay around 130. it seems they have gone up steeply in price as this was the cheapest i could find.

whats not proper about it? its manual focus and app. but thats not too bad. it was around 180 :( . A bit annopying was just before xmas i saw them on ebay around 130. it seems they have gone up steeply in price as this was the cheapest i could find.

£180! :blink:

I paid £110 for mine! :lol:

However, you'll enjoy it.

In what way?

wen i said i stuggle using the flash i lied i actually tired it and it worked a treat

lol im suuch a looser.