Free Money From Bank

fyfey

Reclaim bank charges...

Recently I missed a Direct Debit for my phone bill and my bank charged me £45 because of it. They didn't pay it for me, and I didn't get overdrawn because of it. What is the charge for? A bit excessive!

This annoyed me a lot as I'm saving to build a bike. I've also been charged for various other things in the past. I did a search on Google and found Ten steps to reclaim bank fees. It appears these charges are unlawful and can be reclaimed, it's easier than you may think.

I downloaded a template from their website which I edited to the correct details. I asked the bank to repay £117 within 28 days or I will take legal action, something like that anyway.

I got a phone call from them the other day and they "Wanted to settle it now". They offered me £90 of it back, which I gladly accepted! (I didn't want to take it to court anyway!) They sent me a form to sign, which I've now sent back and will receive the £90 within 14 days!

So if you've been charged by your bank, maybe give it a go and get some money back that you weren't expecting. It's worth a try and doesn't cost you a thing! (Well... a stamp) (Y)

Cheers,

Fyfey :turned:

Edited by fyfey

by missed a payment, he means at the time of the direct debit, there was not enough money in his account for it to clear.

the charge is because the bank has to look at your account and decide whether to pay the debit and let you go over drawn without prior agreement. or to simply refuse the debit.

either way, they will charge you for the pleasure, although thanks to a recently passed legislation of some sorts, this is no unlawful, and can be claimed back!

my mate got back over £500 last week!

downside is that many banks will close your account afterwards, stating that relations between customer and bank are no longer suitable.

yeh i had this once, my dad used to work in a bank so he wrote them a sweet letter and they rang me up saying i can have it back.

i can't remember whether or not i got it though, it was a while ago now.

i think the jist was threaten them with action that will involve paperwork.

Banks cant charge you for going overdrawn if thats what your on about, as its illegal (Y)

but they will give you 'bank charges' like adminstration charges and such, which basically amount to charging for being overdrawn as that's the only time it'll happen.

I'm a bit confused... The whole thing with Direct Debits is that it happens automatically so you can't forget/miss a payment... Also you say they charged you £45 for missing the payment so you asked for £117 from them?

Meh,

Dave

As said above, I didn't have enough money to clear the Direct Debit. I asked for the £117 as they had charged me before as well.

I've also heard that they sometimes want you to close the account. They didn't say anything about it in the form or on the phone. I'm with Halifax.

Normally the bank charges are for sending a letter out and maybe just a punishment for doing it, but I use online banking and I view my letters on their website! It wouldn't be so bad if they just charged £10 for it! Then I wouldn't be as bothered.

downside is that many banks will close your account afterwards, stating that relations between customer and bank are no longer suitable.

They was, but the people that regulate how banks work have gone mad and have started fining banks that do it, and the peoples accounts that got closed have had to be re-opened along with a little balance increase for the huge inconvience of being forced to change banks without any notice at all.

Banks cant charge you for going overdrawn if thats what your on about, as its illegal (Y)

No its not, the amount they was charging was, not the charge itself. Think they worked out they should be charging around 3.57 quid or something for all bounced/over-overdraft payments, and that covers the paper and the administration to deal with it.

I know people that have got back thousands, as your allowed to claim for the past 6 years.

What i mean is, if you go over drawn and they charge you say £30, like they did to me for going over a quid, then you can get it back because they arent actually allowed to charge you for it in the 1st place, was in the paper.

What i mean is, if you go over drawn and they charge you say £30, like they did to me for going over a quid, then you can get it back because they arent actually allowed to charge you for it in the 1st place, was in the paper.

but thats not free money is it, its money you had before and they took away, and you are now getting it back? how is that free?

but thats not free money is it, its money you had before and they took away, and you are now getting it back? how is that free?

OK, not Free. But money you might have thought lost that you're never getting back.

Just trying to let people know it's not too hard, no need to pick my posts to pieces!

Edited by fyfey

no listen, they charge you for over drawing a base rate (say £40) so even if you have £1 too little to pay your direct debits they charge you that £40.

Thats what you get back.

i understand that, but its still not free money...you are just getting back money that you shouldn't have been charged in the first place, its not free if you have given it to them, then they give it back, although alot of 'free' things arent actually free i guess, you always pay somehow

OK, not Free. But money you might have thought lost that you're never getting back.

Just trying to let people know it's not too hard, no need to pick my posts to pieces!

i wasn't aiming it directly at you, quite alot of people refer to it as free money, when it isn't! good you gave people the heads up on it though

Its a damn nice and unexpected suprise though.

i quite like to think about it as a small unknown savings account