New Products From Tensile

BikeDotStuffAtOnzaDotCom

Surely its ctrl + Insert / Shift + Insert for copy and paste, and Shift + Del / Shift + Insert for cut n paste ? Much better....

That's new to me... I've always just used the ol' Ctrl X or C/Ctrl V...

But I am on a crappy Mac and it doesn't have a right mouse button :angry:

Gah Macs make me angry!! Stupid, stupid things.

• 3 months later...

Hello All

Just thought id give this topic a bit of a bump and tell you about the new prototype tensile 96 engagment freewheel ive been testing for the last few months.

I received this freewheel early in september, and its great.Its got amazing pick up, ive tried every other freewheel on the market and this rivals,and beats all of them, the best freewheel ive used!

From the beginning of september till the end of november it had only skipped 3 times, which is amazing for a prototype, and that was probably down to having just rode a muddy comp. After comps the freewheel gets "serviced", it gets cleaned out to get rid of all the mud, sand and rubbish, and then a little bit of chain lube is put on and that is it. ( It gets de greased from the start)

Ofcourse there have been a few problems, i have had to replace a few pawls, due to them having slight groves on the tip and chips, but this will all be sorted for the next freewheel, which i think will be the production version.

And it is loud!!!! Anyone who has seen me in the last few months will know how much noise it makes :)

I recomend looking into getting the production version when it comes out (Y)

Scott

Hey Scott, is the freewheel based on a sealed bearing or loose? I can't remember if I've asked you before... But yeah, it sounds really industrial and Scott seems to be getting on really well with it.

Hey Dave

Its not sealed, Its a "caged" bearing ( think thats what they called it)

Scott

Cool, better than loose balls like the old ACS's that's for sure! Any idea when the production one will be around?

When we decide what's better, Performance or reliability. We could bring it out and say it was a "comp" freewheel, Its just that the 60 click one has such a good rep we do not want to taint it by trying to be all high engagement. I must admit, it is instant pick up and it sounds like a machine gun but what would people like to see? A fit and forget freewheel or something that performs like no other?

It would be more expensive as all the internals are more difficult to make.

Personal opinion would be that if someone bought one that they would have to look after it like Scott and Bango have, But they would love it.

Make one with EP's between 40 and 80 and make it so that it never skips. If that means cleaning it out every month, then thats cool as long as you design it so its easy to open and get inside to clean it.

For me, the main thing is knowing its not going to skip and kill me on a gap to front, and as long as it has over 40EP's then is all good.

When we decide what's better, Performance or reliability. We could bring it out and say it was a "comp" freewheel, Its just that the 60 click one has such a good rep we do not want to taint it by trying to be all high engagement. I must admit, it is instant pick up and it sounds like a machine gun but what would people like to see? A fit and forget freewheel or something that performs like no other?

It would be more expensive as all the internals are more difficult to make.

Personal opinion would be that if someone bought one that they would have to look after it like Scott and Bango have, But they would love it.

Surely on something that's one of the most vital parts in not causing you to flip out and land on your face that's a stupid question.

• 4 months later...
Look ace, the BB tool removal idea is an absolute winner, all freewheels should have it as standard!

Indeed! Echo tried it but Onza made them stop, saying something like 'it was their idea first'. In reality, even though Onza/Tensile is the first brand to have thought up using the Shimano BB spline for freewheels, it is after all a Shimano design, a Japanese design that has been used for many many *many* years. In this way, I still think it's a bit savage of Onza/Tensile to tell other people to not use it. I doubt any profit or revenue is being lost if other brands decide to take it up. People primarily buy the freewheel for its reliability and engagement points. Tool removal fittings are fairly low on people's list of priorities when coming to buy a freewheel!

looks awesome in the white...! But I can't understand why you've done that from a performance point of view...just bog standard case hardened steel never appeared to wear appreciably? It looks like a thermal coating on a turbine blade!

Adam