The Sidehop Thread

python_man

Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for a bit of personal progression, but... this isn't BMX, it's trials. There is no style in trials, and so there are no points for trying to style up a move.

Look what's happening here - a whole shedload of obsession over body position. And that's it! How silly is that?! There are some good riders winning competitions, busting some mad street lines and really progressing the sport, but then there's this thread. It's a disgrace, a total waste of time.

Vince (or whoever) didn't pioneer 'tucking' (oh how that word makes me cringe now) as some kind of art form, it was a means to an end, because it was the only way he was going to bust out those 50+ inch sidehops. These days it's often a whole loada n00bs 'tucking' up a 2ft stack of palettes trying to emulate a 'look'. It's just wasting your trump card, if nothing else.

And I refuse to subscribe to the 'be constructive or do one' school - although I don't ride much these days, I still enjoy the sport, and this kind of thing is one of the reasons trials became less appealing for me, and I'm sure, others.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all up for a bit of personal progression, but... this isn't BMX, it's trials. There is no style in trials, and so there are no points for trying to style up a move.

Look what's happening here - a whole shedload of obsession over body position. And that's it! How silly is that?! There are some good riders winning competitions, busting some mad street lines and really progressing the sport, but then there's this thread. It's a disgrace, a total waste of time.

Vince (or whoever) didn't pioneer 'tucking' (oh how that word makes me cringe now) as some kind of art form, it was a means to an end, because it was the only way he was going to bust out those 50+ inch sidehops. These days it's often a whole loada n00bs 'tucking' up a 2ft stack of palettes trying to emulate a 'look'. It's just wasting your trump card, if nothing else.

And I refuse to subscribe to the 'be constructive or do one' school - although I don't ride much these days, I still enjoy the sport, and this kind of thing is one of the reasons trials became less appealing for me, and I'm sure, others.

Ha ha, pretty much sums it up. Although i'd have to disagree slightly with there being no style in trials at all. I reckon theres the potential to have as much personal style in moves as bmxing, its just the moves themselves are less varied and pretty similar to each other. Still doesn't stop completely new styles popping out like leech's manifesto or TRA's general bounciness.

Ok, yes, I hear you there. I always thought Hans Rey was quite stylish. Fair point. But style up something and make it look good, not contorted and (dare I abuse the word further) spasticated. Tucking doesn't look stylish - it's just some kind of geeky trials in-fashion. I don't want to end every move like I'm squatting off the side of the bike for a quick crap. Do you?

this kind of thing is one of the reasons trials became less appealing for me, and I'm sure, others.

totally agree. im into "comp style" as me and my mates call it, where basically if ride as if im in a comp, trying to control everything etc. anyway, i understand the whole sidehop and people tucking for no reason thing, eg noobs on 2 foot wall tucking till there boxers rip. basically whats the point, it looks cool if your on a wall above bar height lets say. so yeah it makes the sport less apealing when people do this, attempting to copy people by "tucking" ridiculously, why not just be therselves and have fun, rather than getting through a pack of boxers each week

You were put off trials by kids tucking in sidehops? hmm

I didn't know tucking was such serious business