Graphics Card Help...

Willy

Anyone recommend the order to build it in? Would it be easier to wack everything on the board then put it in the case

Nooooo!!!!!! No fun in that, and you learn nothing :) A whole lot of the fun is learning where things go and what things do. A lot of things are fool proofed now, but it still fun to do :)

Put in the cd/dvd drives first, then mount the cpu on the mobo THEN put mobo in, PLACE ALL COMPONENTS before cabling !!!!

I made the mistake of putting in dvd drive last, man that was a pain.

Just a quick point I noticed you were planning on overclocking. Well the DS3 is a better overclocker than the S3 as many people will tell you. Its worth the extra if your planning on overclocking and gaming. Assuming your gaming due to the gfx card.

Edited by Team War Rider

Will it really hold me back that much though? considering theres people running same sort of spec hittin 3+ghz overclocking but im only looking for around 2.4. Not wanting to go vietnam on it really just a bit of extra speed. From face value only difference between the two seems to be a different network controller..

Edited by Spacemunkee

Wont make that much difference, and I hate to tell you that.... Overclocking an Allendale core from 1.86 to 2.4 ghz, THEORETICALLY gives you the performance of a Conroe 2.4ghz except for one kinda major thing.

You only have 2mb of cache where as the 6600 models up have the 4mb cache. This makes a difference when fast transfers are needed. Thats the difference between allendale and conroe. However generally as you are running a higher FSB due to the locked multiplier this shouldnt matter too much.

The 2.4ghz 6600 has a multiplier of 9 with 266 fsb as standard.

The 1.83ghz 6300 has a multiplier of 7 with a 266fsb as standard.

To get to the same 2.4 ghz you need to overclock the fsb to 340-345 depending what your mobo will do. With the higher FSB your processor will perform better.

I am not sure on the technicalities behind it but for some reason for example a 200 mhz fsb with a 10x multiplier will be worse than a 400 mhz fsb with a 5x multiplier. Someone might know.

just out of curiousity (sp) how do you tell which is higher end card? i mean with nvidia do the numbers mean the higher they are the better they are? and whast the gt shizzle all about? how do ati compare their cards? is it again the higher number the better card? does the memory (128mb / 256mb / 512mb) on the card make alot of difference? :S

Best bet, as i tried out for some stuff is to look at a basic card in your price range.. then get on google and type in the card name followed by reviews. Then find a review and 90% of the time it will say this card is good but you should really go for card X. You then take a look at the reviews for that card and eventually you find out that for the money there isnt that much difference between the two, then just go by cost.

With my limited knowledge i know some of the 512 geforce gt's actually arent as good as some of the 256 ati cards (wwell one of them from what ive seen). But it depends on what you are going to be running. Take a look earlier in this thread and poopipe said about cad etc needing all the available memory it can get so you would need a 512mb over a 256mb.

Also when looking at nvidia shit.. the cards are actually made by different people. So you can have the same for example geforce 7950 gt but prices will range by like £40 due to different people making the cards and different fans on them etc.

Example of type of review shit you find: http://www.3davenue.com/hwpics/NV7950GT/be...arks/quake4.gif

From that the gt is better so numbers going up on the card name seem to = better.

Edited by Spacemunkee