Graphics Card Help...

Willy

I upgraded from 6600GT TDH AGP 128MB to

7900GOT 512MB

cost me £200 though but well worth it.

I recomend either a 7800 series card or 7950 card...

maybe OcUK Galaxy GeForce 7900 GS OC SILENT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

for £130?

core clock = 540

mem clock = 1500

20 pipelines....

That looks like a good setup to me (Y)

What hard drives you got?

You can get SATA2 10,000RPM hard disks from Western Didigal which would speed up file loading/saving/moving.

Built for speed! WD Raptor is a unique class of hard drives that matches SCSI reliability and performance while providing simplified connectivity - all at a lower cost than Parallel SCSI drives. WD Raptor maintains the high standards, while lowering the cost of enterprise data storage.

Compatibility Summary (PDF)

Key FeaturesKiller Speed - World's fastest SATA drive: 10,000 RPM, 4.5 ms seek, 8 MB cache.

Enterprise-class Throughput - With WD's Ultra/150 Command Queuing technology that optimizes the sequence of data transfers to the hard drive from the host, resulting in higher performance in enterprise applications.

Rugged - Enterprise-class mechanical platform with high-end bearings and actuator.

Unsurpassed Reliability - 5-year limited warranty and 1.2 million hours MTBF

Ideal For

Servers and NAS/SAN systems.

The drive of choice for high-performance workstation and gaming systems.

i usually just think bigger is better.

sensible attitude.

like anzo said earlier, quality is important. a decent psu will take being driven at peak output for longer than a crap one, I'd opt for a fancy one with lower power than an unbranded one with a little bit more power - if you get me .

Im pretty confident 520W is enough to power the machine if you don't have loads of disks etc. plugged into it and the PSU is a good quality one.

compatibility I think is ok but I'm not certain - I haven't paid any attention to the new RAM numbering cos my machine uses the 400mhz dual channel DDR stuff and as such I don't give a shit about anything else - it sounds right though (check with someone else first).

sensible attitude.

like anzo said earlier, quality is important. a decent psu will take being driven at peak output for longer than a crap one, I'd opt for a fancy one with lower power than an unbranded one with a little bit more power - if you get me .

Im pretty confident 520W is enough to power the machine if you don't have loads of disks etc. plugged into it and the PSU is a good quality one.

compatibility I think is ok but I'm not certain - I haven't paid any attention to the new RAM numbering cos my machine uses the 400mhz dual channel DDR stuff and as such I don't give a shit about anything else - it sounds right though (check with someone else first).

So kris where are you? :-

I reckon i can always just put my spare harddrive in to a caddy that i have which has its own seperate power.. just plugs in to the usb and normal home socket if the power seems dodgy

That looks like a good setup to me (Y)

What hard drives you got?

You can get SATA2 10,000RPM hard disks from Western Didigal which would speed up file loading/saving/moving.

Found out the one im using as an external for my laptop at mo (in a caddy etc) is:

<h1 class="h1">Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320 GB</h1> Internal hard drive - 3.5" x 1/3H - 7200 rpm - 133 MBps - ATA-133

mean owt to anyone? The one at home is a 160gb but no idea what make etc till i go back. Its pretty ancient though

can someone quickly explain the timings shit.. is it just a specific thing or for example.. is one of these better than the other:

CL 5-5-5-12 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)

CL 4-4-4-15 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-6400 Dual Channel Platinum Revision 2 XTC Series DDR2

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....2-OC&tool=3

OCZ 2048MB DDR2 PC2-6400 - £190Click Here

Its a toss up between these two it seems.. first one is on specail offer for this week only.. and since ill be ordering on sunday.... seems worth it. But at the same time.. £190 isnt too bad.. budget is going to end up at £700 lol i can see it happening already

Ermmm, basically its the time is takes for it to 'transfer' a request from the CPU into an action. So for example clicking 'Start', your RAM will decide how quickly it does it.

The timings show that, so basically, lower the numbers, the better it is. I think thats all you need to know really, lol.

I might consider, going for a little less ram, and bumping the processor to the Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz. My dad has one, and it's just so fast, even on tasks that use only one of the processors, it's still faster than my 3.4GHz PE Extreme Edition.

But then, I guess you could say you don't need the 2.4GHz processor.

ither way, looks future proof and will do you well for a while to come.

I might consider, going for a little less ram, and bumping the processor to the Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz. My dad has one, and it's just so fast, even on tasks that use only one of the processors, it's still faster than my 3.4GHz PE Extreme Edition.

But then, I guess you could say you don't need the 2.4GHz processor.

ither way, looks future proof and will do you well for a while to come.

IF and a big if.. (just like the one at start) i do need more speed can always OC, supposidly the 1.86 has a lot to offer for the price you pay for it. From some site i was just reading "We tested it in the Asus P5B Deluxe, and raised the FSB to 370MHz. This set the E6300 purring away at 2.59GHz, and we only had to raise the CPU voltage slightly to 1.3V for the system to complete our tests."

For the price then anzo the cheaper mem seems to read a buit quicker? or do you think they even out due to the last numbers? ( thats as far as i can go.. working with averages lol)

Edited by Spacemunkee

Looking good, I take you have a SATA hard drive sorted? And CD Drive?

A sata... ummmmm no idea.. i have one of these: Western Digital Caviar SE WD3200JB 320 GB</h1> Internal hard drive - 3.5" x 1/3H - 7200 rpm - 133 MBps - ATA-133

and some random one at home dunno what it is yet though its from my dads old ass pc.

Yea cd drive is covered though.

So ill need a sata cable for the western digital one i have ? (which is currently in a caddy, using it for external storage via usb on my laptop). Reckon theres a chance itll come with the board or deffo need to buy one for it to work?

Nooo, noo, nooo. Lol, I messed up on that one, sorry. The Drive you have now, the Western Digital uses the Long thin plug right (IDE cable)?

It wont matter eitherway if its a SATA or IDE, the comparisons aren't through the roof, just SATA seems to be taking over as a norm (thin cables, airflow and all that bullshit).

Nooo, noo, nooo. Lol, I messed up on that one, sorry. The Drive you have now, the Western Digital uses the Long thin plug right (IDE cable)?

It wont matter eitherway if its a SATA or IDE, the comparisons aren't through the roof, just SATA seems to be taking over as a norm (thin cables, airflow and all that bullshit).

Yea just did a bit of googling and checked the case of the hard drive i have etc and its the IDE cable. Not bothered with all this sata shit, not until i need a new hard drive anyway. Thanks anyway (Y) cant wait to get this beast running

Hey mate, spec looks good now (Y)

Just run that system through a power calculator and found that even with the cpu overclocked to 2.8GHz and using a lot of juice it will only be pulling about 360 Watts. Its a good idea to get a psu that exceeds that by a fair bit though as it gives you scope for future upgrades. Also the one you've chosen is modular so you don't have to attach the cables you don't need making the inside of the case a hell of a lot neater :)