Motorbike Or Car?

Smoby_Walker

Riding in the rain would be pants on a road bike but get a supermoto & rain riding is quality. Sooo much fun. As for the danger factor of bikes, It can be dangerous but... Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing. Quoted from the headstone of one of my favourite motorbike riders ever, David Jefferies.

Your point would have been more valid if you'd quoted someone who hadn't died a bloody death in a motorcycle accident. But hey ho, motorbikes look fun. I would get one but I know I would kill myself. I am enough of a dick on my road bike :turned:

It can be done i believe, lights, suitible tyres, horn, and it all taxed and insured up and i think you've got it.

Minimotos and mopeds have basically the same engine in my view, it could be bodged i'm sure - anything can be bodged.

you can't take a mini moto on the road unless its been vetted (right word?) for the road. this is usually done at manufacture so it pretty much can't be done afterwords. what the government class as a minimoto could be anything from a 125 full size scrambler to a dax mini bike so when they say you can take a mini moto on the road if its got lights, road legal tyres, horn, tax, insurance and an mot (if its more than 3 years old) they mean you can take a dax monkey bike or similar on the road not a chinese dirt bike.

also moped engines are really quite different from a mini moto, but i'm pretty sure someone will have put a big bore kit on there mini moto. and i know that people put them on there midi motos. so forget about the road thing look for a 110 cc pit bike engine and bodge it in then your moto will do 60+

Edited by Gavyn L

you can't take a mini moto on the road unless its been vetted (right word?) for the road. this is usually done at manufacture so it pretty much can't be done afterwords.

It's usually done at the manufacturers in the form of 'type approval' but certainly can be done afterwards (or at least the routes are there). It's the way that kit cars and custom bikes are made road legal- via either the SVA test for cars or MSVA for bikes. They check everything on their checklist which takes in virtually all parts of the bike.

As said before, it could be done (assuming road legal tires could be sourced from monkeybikes or whatever) but would involve silly amounts of time and just wouldn't be worth it!!

It's usually done at the manufacturers in the form of 'type approval' but certainly can be done afterwards (or at least the routes are there). It's the way that kit cars and custom bikes are made road legal- via either the SVA test for cars or MSVA for bikes. They check everything on their checklist which takes in virtually all parts of the bike.

As said before, it could be done (assuming road legal tires could be sourced from monkeybikes or whatever) but would involve silly amounts of time and just wouldn't be worth it!!

You can get the road legal tyres easy. As they are usually 10" wheels on them (monkey bikes) you can use scooter tyres like sava wet ones.

I do know a couple of people that have had their thumpstars made road legal, but most live in more fenland areas, so they don't need to be worried about getting crushed by a lorry. One of them i knew apparently clocked his slightly modified thump at 80mph down a really long and straight, back road.

you can't take a mini moto on the road unless its been vetted (right word?) for the road. this is usually done at manufacture so it pretty much can't be done afterwords. what the government class as a minimoto could be anything from a 125 full size scrambler to a dax mini bike so when they say you can take a mini moto on the road if its got lights, road legal tyres, horn, tax, insurance and an mot (if its more than 3 years old) they mean you can take a dax monkey bike or similar on the road not a chinese dirt bike.

also moped engines are really quite different from a mini moto, but i'm pretty sure someone will have put a big bore kit on there mini moto. and i know that people put them on there midi motos. so forget about the road thing look for a 110 cc pit bike engine and bodge it in then your moto will do 60+

Yeah, it COULD be done, but it's a question of if you have the time and money to do it, would be fun to do and would be fun to use.

There are minimoto big bore kits, that take it up upto 10 cc... from 39 to 49... They're for sale all the time on eBay, and they're pretty cheap.

I doubt i'll do it unless i'm earning more than 17 odd grand a year.

Edited by Fat Pants

Your point would have been more valid if you'd quoted someone who hadn't died a bloody death in a motorcycle accident. But hey ho, motorbikes look fun. I would get one but I know I would kill myself. I am enough of a dick on my road bike :turned:

His point is very valid. Jefferies held fastest laps of the Island for several classes, had race wins stacking up all over the place and looked happy hammering bikes around. He risked everything, achieved a lot, and became somebody :)

ahwell it's just what the guy at a local dealer told me. Still i don't think you'd be able to source the parts to make it road legal. maybe if it was a pit bike or something larger it could be done. what if you hit a tractor or a lorry, you'd have no chance. and you'd always be getting pulled over by the police. :ermm:

Yeah, it COULD be done, but it's a question of if you have the time and money to do it, would be fun to do and would be fun to use.

There are minimoto big bore kits, that take it up upto 10 cc... from 39 to 49... They're for sale all the time on eBay, and they're pretty cheap.

I doubt i'll do it unless i'm earning more than 17 odd grand a year.

if you were earning that much a year surly you'd buy an rs50 or other 50 road bike which when derestricted would be fairly fun for flying about the town on just not really that fun for blasting along country lanes.

Wish i had a Thumpstar :( they're beast. Mines a minimoto one, just a cheap chinese one, got a slightly better engine and a bigger pinion to give it some extra speed. Thinking of getting a 70 cc bore kit (the ones you get for slowpeds) because they've both basically got the same engine, size at least.

Terra-Moto ***, much better than pishy thumps