2007 Monty 221pr

mikey23

Hi guys, i'm looking to buy the new 221pr soon and just wanted to know some things about it.

1. What's the freewheel on it like? Is it any good, or would it be worth upgrading it straight out of the box?

2. Are Marta's a decent brake, as in can it be trusted to hold on a big gap? Would it be better to look at hope disc brakes?

3. Finally, a pretty stupid question, but is the rear sprocket a 12t?

Thanks (Y)

Hi guys, i'm looking to buy the new 221pr soon and just wanted to know some things about it.

1. What's the freewheel on it like? Is it any good, or would it be worth upgrading it straight out of the box?

2. Are Marta's a decent brake, as in can it be trusted to hold on a big gap? Would it be better to look at hope disc brakes?

Thanks (Y)

1. Freewheel is SHIT! 16 engagement points.... There is also square tapper BB that sux...

2. Martha brakes seems nice though.... The hope brakes is better... but the martha will hold up pretty well ;)

3. yeah, the rear sprocket is 12t ;)

I got my 221Pr a few weeks back and before even riding it upgraded the freewheel to an ENO and the brakes to Hopes.

The Marta's are plenty strong enough power wise but the lever design won't cut it for trials. I used to run Marta's when they first came out back in 2001 or so and the lever blade cracked at the pivot. Unfortunately they're still using the same design today! The blades are able to flex and eventually crack due to fatigue under trials use. There used to be a modification on a spanish site to remove the flex (a little c shaped bit of ally basically) but I've also read on OTN that a shimano lever is a good substitute...

Hope that kinda answers the questions...

Just stole this from the Newbie forum...

IPB Image

That's exactly what mine did way back when. Admittedly he smacked the lever on a bollard causing it to fail but you can see that the 'arm' things in the right hand side of the picture are bent together from the flexing. My bet is it was cracked before he hit the bollard...

I want to stress that the brake is very powerful and silly light and a quick modification should stop this from happening but just keep an eye on the levers. (Y)

dave

Monty 221 prs come with a shimano freewheel which doesn't have a lot of engagement so i would get either upgrade to a tensile freewheel or the new monty freewheel. Magura martas are good brakes and can be trusted to hold on big gaps but the levers tend to snap easily. I have somehow managed to snap 3 levers. Its entirely upto you if you want to upgrade to hope disk brakes but there won't be any point if you look after your magura martas.

They're made by Shimano. Upgrade to an ENO.

They're ok, but the Hope is way more powerful. Get the Hope brakes.

As on all mods - yes.