My Proto Carbon Booster...

Adrian

Looks quite well made, was it custom layed up, or just made from a sheet, looks like the former to me. I'd like to see a bit more clearance, and if its custom layed up then making it in either a slight L, T or I shape would add to the stiffness withought increasing weight (you can take some material to allow for clearance then). No-one is yet to beat the stiffness for weight of the shimano carbon booster.

Looks quite well made, was it custom layed up, or just made from a sheet, looks like the former to me. I'd like to see a bit more clearance, and if its custom layed up then making it in either a slight L, T or I shape would add to the stiffness withought increasing weight (you can take some material to allow for clearance then). No-one is yet to beat the stiffness for weight of the shimano carbon booster.

what do you mean by an l, t or i shape??? could you explain please then ill try the new shape and see how that works... cheers :)

what do you mean by an l, t or i shape??? could you explain please then ill try the new shape and see how that works... cheers :)

I'm talking about the cross section of the booster. A simple flat design will twist when enough force is applied to it, even if the force is in the same plane as the sheet. Therefore having some material bracing the out of plane movement will help improve the overall stiffness of the design. If you don't know what i mean have a look at the shimano xtr carbon boosters, they have a slight I cross section.

And if you really want to make it the best weight/stiffness ratio then make the inside ridge slightly higher than the outside ridge as carbon is better under compression than tension. This ones looking sexy though.

Is that the same type of matt all the way though or have you got some different layers throughout it? could maybe try placing the layers at 45deg angles, so that the grain is slightly more fitting to the overall shape, or using some loose fiber matt in the middle layer or two curved round in the shape of the booster. (correct me if I'm being a tit, I'm alot more used to fiberglass than carbon, but i think it still applys)

• 3 weeks later...

well as you may know then, fibre glass is alot stiffer and more ridged then carbon.. but if you flex fibre glass too much its more prone to crack, so what ive done is 2 layers of carbon on top then 3 layers of fibre glass then something else then another 2 layers of carbon, so its stiff but also if i accidentaly like sit or fall on it so it bends towards the frame (if you get what i mean) it wont crack, but in my next booster im going to insert a 1mm sheet of alu for extra stiffness then only use half the layers of carbon sooo it should be just as stiff, if not stiffer and about the same weight still.... well see