Riding With Glasses

RobinJI

I've needed glasses for a couple of years now, but I've only worn them in school/college lessons and watching films.

However the time to start learning to drive has come so I'm gunna have to where them when I'm behind the wheel. I tried wearing them lots recently so friends would get used to it, but I've quickly found that while I'm riding I miss judge distance's because of not being used to the slight distortion they cause.

This got me thinking that for me to be safe on the roads I'm gunna have to get really used to wearing them so I can judge distance's safely while driving. So I started wearing them 24/7, and I'm a lot more used to it now, but when I ride they keep falling off my head, I'm afraid I'll start to have the opposite problem, as in when I take them off I won't be able to judge distance's properly! Now I'm stuck, because I can't ride with them, as they fall off, and I won't be able to ride without them, because I won't be able to hit targets.

I know the obvious one is contacts, but my eyesight's really not that bad, just bad enough to need them to drive, so It would seem a waist of money.

Do any of you guys have the same problem? What can I do about it besides shelling out for contacts?

i had a similar situation, and started wearin glasses 24/7(dont do it, u end up depending on them way to much). but now just gone to not wearing them at all again. if i wer u, id try to wear them just for driving or the like. take them off for riding.

other options include gettin some sunglass style frames made up(with or without the tint). as they grip your head way better. if your a none helmeter, start wearing a beanie to ride in, will hold them in place a lot more

I ride with glasses, and sorry Ali but i've never managed that and have never even thought about it, seems very unlikely.

Mine used to fall off a bit but if you bend the arms at the back so they curve round your ear more they stay firmly where their meant to.

I still find them aweful for riding in though because i have to tilt my head down to see where my rear wheel is at where as other people can quickly glance that way. I'm going with the contacts soon :D

I don't really understand why people won't wear glasses. I'm only mildly shortsighted (-1.5 ish) but it would really annoy me if I was out and about and not wearing them. I would just miss out on lots of stuff because I couldn't see it.

But to answer the question, it all depends on the glasses. I have one pair (my favourite) that will fall off my head so easily if I get a bit sweaty. If I go riding and realise I've got them on it annoys me so much as I really can't do anything. But I have other pairs (with longer, more curved arms) which don't do this and it's not a problem. Still, if I'm doing any sport I prefer to have contacts in, just so much better.

Why not get some daily disposables and then only use them on days you want to ride?

Seems your going to have to spend some cash on sports gigs or contacts. I'd go with the contacts as you just fit'em and forget. Mine only cost about £15 per month with washing solution etc. Post em to my house aswell (Y)

Also they NEVER fall out or nothing..oh` but they are limited to 10 hrs per day or something.

Edited by Concussion

Hmm - Ive worn glasses pretty much all my life - and they are badboy thick ones that weigh alot (Im practically blind (cue bad joke))... but ive never really had a problem riding - occasionally in the summer they slip abit but nothing drastic... I think its probably because im so used to having them on and moving around so they stay on (my current ones are really loose and i find tem really comfy to ride in)

so I think my answer would be just wear them more and ride in them more... Although if they are coming off all the time you can get some elastic bands for round the back of your head from the arms - Tim Pratt stylee

just carry on as you have been doing and then wear them to drive dont worry about missing targets when riding , driving is completly differnt i bet it doesnt effect you . you can drive if you only have one eye and then you dont have any depth persepsion so glasses is really a minor thing especially if youve gone through life barely wearing them

your glasses should never fall off your head unless they arent fitted properly, i should know i've worn glasses since i was 10 months old, so 22 years now and my dad is an optician. i ride with glasses/sunglasses that have straight sides (not wrap around), they dont even move. ive got 3 pairs of glasses, and have no problems because they have been fitted correctly.

take yours back to your opticians and get him/her to fit them properly, they should have done it when you picked them up and so should do the adjustement free of chrage.

as for judging distances only one of my eyes actually works, my left eye doesnt stay still long enough to focus, i cant judge distance or see in 3D (even with those red/green glasses). how i can even ride trials is beyond me, just stick ur bike in the gap/next to the up to get an idea of the size then go from there, usually takes me a few attempts to get it right but i just keep firing myself at it. use your bike as a size guide if you cant do with riding in ur glasses.

(p.s. if you're worried about driving i'm about as close to illegal as you can be, just memorise the number plates around the test centre for your test, worked for me ;) )

i know exactly what you mean mate, i've had so many different glasses so i'll know.

i've had rubbered arm (very ugly looking ones) and they are the only ones that manages not to fall off when riding.

'sunglasses' type oakley wiretaps but they fall off as well, even with that wrapped round design.

and now i have some full plastic framed levi's ones and i really get used to them and don't like changing them as it makes me feel dizzy, and they are uber slippery when i sweat.

solution!= get them sports elastic bands that go round your head, i only use it when im out riding and they may not look nice, but when your lid is on its not really noticable, and you never have to touch the glasses when riding!

trust me!

steve ^_^

i've worn glasses since i was 10 months old

How the hell do you carry out a sight test on a 10 month old baby?!! I've never suited glasses, or at least never liked the way I look in them so got contacts when I was about 14. My case is slightly extreme though as I'm fairly sure I have the worst eyes on trials forum...

Dave

Speaking as someone who can't get owt further than 12" away in focus, and having worn glasses since I was about 5, I think I have a bit of experience here :P

Like someone above said, bend the arse end of the arms around a bit. If you can pull your glasses forwards on your head and they slide without tugging at your ears a bit, summat ain't right.

I used to have the same problem til I did that. Since then I've been more worried about keeping me cap on my head during front->back wheel moves. It's rare that I lose my glasses. I think I've lost em twice during fast spinning moves over the whole time I've been riding. Which ain't much, to be fair.

You don't (or shouldn't, unless you have an abnormal head shape ;) ) need all that wraparound/rubber bollocks. Just bend the arms, make sure they're gripping your head, and you're laughing. Most opticians tend to fit your glasses so that they're about halfway down your nose - sod that, you want 'em further up so they don't flap about. Your vision will distort a gnat's bollock, but you'll quickly get used to it.

'Course I have long hair, so that may help a bit.

Actually, scratch that, I didn't 5 years ago and they never fell off then :)

Try -9.00 in both eyes :$

I'm only -1.75, and i can't see shit. You sure that's right? :huh:

Anyway, glasses sit a distence away from your eye, alterd perception, they fall off your head, and get mucky.

Contact lenes stop all those problems. And you will have perfect eyeslight thoughout the day. They're really worth it. (Y)

How the hell do you carry out a sight test on a 10 month old baby?!! I've never suited glasses, or at least never liked the way I look in them so got contacts when I was about 14. My case is slightly extreme though as I'm fairly sure I have the worst eyes on trials forum...

Dave

pretty obvious when one eye just never points where it should i've had an operation on left eye to try make it work, -9 is pretty bad but at least they both work! and the bad news is everyone gets more shortsighted (i.e. -diopters) as they grow older.

Anyway, glasses sit a distence away from your eye, alterd perception

not entirely true, the lenses are made so that they focus the vision in the fovea (main point of retina) when you are long/short sighted the lens of your eye focuses light either behind/in front of the retina and thats why you cant see, lenses of the glasses solve this, so yes your perception is altered but only to correct it,so what you see is what it actually is.

judging distance can be improved by some new lenses, ive got them in my sunglasses (they reduce glare, like dark lenses, but also enhance the contrast, like light enhancing yellow lenses you see cricketers wearing as the light fades), amazing but do cost around £300 lenses only

Use zip ties on each side of your glasses and tie it round the back of your head, you would barely notice it with your hair if you just tuck it under, and even more reason to do it, they come in lots of funky colours!!!

IPB Image

;)

Edited by MC-Bolo!

Use zip ties on each side of your glasses and tie it round the back of your head, you would barely notice it with your hair if you just tuck it under, and even more reason to do it, they come in lots of funky colours!!!

IPB Image

;)

IPB Image

The more discreet option.

Edited by 49ccminicrossah