07 Monty 221 Question...

monkeyseemonkeydo

Hey guys, I had a search and there are similar posts but couldn't find anything that answered exactly what I want to know... Basically I rode mod for about 5 years before going 26 for the last 2 and am now wanting to go back to small wheels. I really like the look of the new dual disc Monty's and would like a bit of advice from people with experience of the bikes. I'm kinda torn between the 221 Pr disc and the 221 Ti. There's a big price difference between the two and I'd like to know if the Ti's worth the extra, particularly considering I'll be riding this for both practicing and comps, (soft) street and natural. Is the Ti a full on comp bike which is likely to die quite quickly if used for streety stuff?...

Cheers peeps

Dave

edit: for those who don't know the difference, the Pr uses marta sl discs rather than the hope items, it has chromo forks rather than alloy, has an inferior freewheel (which I'd change anyway if I got a Pr), less white bits and less titanium!

(awaits abuse from Rich Pearson...)

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

sorry for the offtopic, but i have a question aswell, its a bit of a personal matter but i wanted your opnions on it

which would you rather buy:

- brand new 221 pr 2007 for 675 pounds

- used monty 221 ti 06, with rear hope mono trial disc brake, but having a chance that it might not fully work and have some broken parts for 742 pounds

really cant choose..the ti is better but it might have some broken parts..and i have to pay 33 pounds for the traveling too since the owner lives germany

Edited by Meteor~

Pr id say - my mates got last years 1 it must be if theyve just released a new 1

and its top job montys arnt the strongest frames and i wouldnt take a 2nd hand TI

which i had no background on.... i mean if i knew the ride how he rode maintanance

and all of that then yea i might go for it..... but a new bike is a new bike and you'll

have fresh true disks... i mean sometimes the bike will just break........

and also if he lives abroad youll shit you pants that he hasnt sent it or whatever and

posting is always :S even on small items let alone 742 squaidders of your money

go for the Pr. i would say......

(back on topic)

id say a Pr. probably they have been INCREDIBLY popualar last years and hobnobs

is the man and he sells them so id say you should... i mean if you have the money

your going to take care of it and get your moneys worth out of the bike get the Pr.

but it is a sh!t load of money for the extras you get

essay!!!

Pr id say - my mates got last years 1 it must be if theyve just released a new 1

and its top job montys arnt the strongest frames and i wouldnt take a 2nd hand TI

which i had no background on.... i mean if i knew the ride how he rode maintanance

and all of that then yea i might go for it..... but a new bike is a new bike and you'll

have fresh true disks... i mean sometimes the bike will just break........

and also if he lives abroad youll shit you pants that he hasnt sent it or whatever and

posting is always :S even on small items let alone 742 squaidders of your money

go for the Pr. i would say......

thank you, im pretty sure i will go for the pr now, got warranty aswell

thanks alot for your reply

sorry for going offtopic, might have helped you too though (Y)

Hi Dave, its scott from the hampshire trials

Since ive had my 07 ti ive rode two world championship rounds, a british championship and ive just got back from a uci world cup round in spain, and the bike is fine, it has given me no problems what so ever.

The ti's are really strong and reliable

Ive been riding trials for 10 years now, and ive had montys for 6 of them, and i have never snapped/cracked or broke a frame in anyway.

Also, it is the steerer tube thats different, not the forks (Y)

If your going to the next hampshire trial, you can have a go on my bike, and you can see what you think of it.

See you later

Scott :)

Hmm... I'm currently leaning towards the 221 Pr with an Eno, purely down to the price. Does anyone have any experience with the magura marta sl brakes? A quick search on observedtrials.net shows that americans absolutely hate them and have take to replacing the levers with shimano units...

On another note, how do modern Monty's compare to Python's etc as far as geometry's concerned?

Cheers,

Dave

Hmm... I'm currently leaning towards the 221 Pr with an Eno, purely down to the price. Does anyone have any experience with the magura marta sl brakes? A quick search on observedtrials.net shows that americans absolutely hate them and have take to replacing the levers with shimano units...

Hope mono trials are far better, they work better and each part on them is replacable, unlike the marta's, where if you break one thing, you must buy a complete brake.

Scott