Internet People At Uni

Synergy

nothing else really does like xfire or steam and somne of the other games i play is this because they have blocked it or i have to set it up a certain way as its through a lan? any ideas ora nyone have any problems like this ebfore they have managed to sort at all?

Yeah, they have to block loadsa stuff by law. Turning off your university firewall (note: UNIVERSITY firewall, not your own computer one!) will often do the trick. But different uni's will have different policies regarding that stuff - mostly though you'll get bent over and raped for doing that.

Just find your local computer nerd group where you're staying or in your course and they'll sort you out, no end. (Y)

Go to the uni IT help desk and tell them that you'd like to be able to play online games etc, so would appreciate if they unblocked the ports to allow that.

Very suprised that Steam wont work, mostly its just p2p and torrent transfers that they dont allow!

If the uni are that much of a bunch of ****'s that they wont unblock the ports then there aint much u can do, apart from find the local geeky computer guys who'll know a way round it, like already been mentioned!

Good Luck with it

M@

Mine lets me use IE but not Firefox, keeps saying their server timed out, but it's fine on IE.

To use firefox you just need to go into tools > options > general > connection settings > auto detect proxy settings for this connection. No reason firefox shouldnt work.

As for other stuff, I've no idea how you'd go about turning the university firewall off, its just not possible. So thats that out of the question..

Only other way is to get an HTTP tunneler (HTTPtunnel) but it costs money.. $5 a month or something.

Most uni's block these things.

Look in to setting up Stunnel on port 443 (which won't be blocked) on a PC outside your network - perhaps at home. Then you can just tunnel all the ports you need through this, or use it as a SOCKS server.

I'm not going to tell you how - that's all the info you need.

To use firefox you just need to go into tools > options > general > connection settings > auto detect proxy settings for this connection. No reason firefox shouldnt work.

Cheers for the help, but i tried it and still comes up with the same error message :S

BTW, i sent you a PM yesterday about the Lanscan thing :)