Worst Ever Back Rim

tom-trials

Not entirely Matt, you won't get a good wheelbuild on a weak rim. My friend had his wheel (Echo 2006) done by a good bicycle shop and almost instantly after he got onto his bike the wheel was all over the place. I've got the same problem with my Echo CNC rim at the moment. It's not round any more although it was for a brief moment when I had it repaired and rebuilt by a LBS. It's probably had quite a few grinds and I cannot say what the previous owners did to it but knowing they were English it couldn't have been good for it. You probably remember Neil telling us that he has to replace his 2006 rims frequently whereas he rode the CNC ones for quite a while without any problems.

yep to be honest, ronnies are bumhole. in the forst 2weeks my join had split. as with the new massive echo rim, my mate totally killed his in around3/4weeks,cracks dings and flat spots everywhere (N) .

a good wheelbuild cant stop you putting a huge dent in your rim can it? and the dints then evovle into cracks. people havnt designed rims hard enough and light enough for what we do haha

DX32'z r sh1t

IPB Image

IPB Image

Not really, they rule.

I think the biggest anti-climax of a rim was the new echos, they're terrible, as are the ronnie's, which have both been mentioned.

forking ellllllll matt burrows on the right there... spitin image there:|

did you get a puncture?

Is mine the only ronnie which is actually holding up , ive been landing hard on it on dropgaps ect.

Its lasted just over 9 months now it`s dented about 20 times but its still perfectly round , only had 2 grinds but still not bad.

Worst rims ever have got to be Monty and the old echo.

Edited by Deonn h

Is mine the only ronnie which is actually holding up , ive been landing hard on it on dropgaps ect.

Its lasted just over 9 months now it`s dented about 20 times but its still perfectly round , only had 2 grinds but still not bad.

Its because your the man!

They crack when you land too many times on one dent, and you bend them back.

Tend to crack a lot on the holes as well. :shifty:

Btw, Deonn is the M-A-N. And you barely grind your rim.... it might as well be smooth

I dont realllly think its the rim itself, more the quality of the build. Rims aren't really varied that much and with trials its a weight/strength war. Fair enough, some rims might be completely wank and fold over quickly but a rim is just a mass producted peice of shite, its pot luck if you get one thats passed through 'quality control', and for the price of them, its not something I'd really consider gumbling about.

Look at stems, I bet most come from the same factory...Zoo, Try-all, Echo...whatever, its all made by the same guy for 20p an hour.

But other than that, Try-all for the win I suppose, never let me down yet.

This is very true. But that worker is extremely experienced in what he does. Yes he may get paid muck all but he can use those machines damn well.

'Made in Taiwan' isn't a bad thing. (Y)

'Made in the USA' doesn't really mean too much either. S&M bmx products aren't superb!

i have cracked and dented my echo cnc rim and my ronnie. About 13 dents( about 3 of these are folds which means my tyre always pops out) in the ronnie and a crack and about 8 dents (1 fold which also means my tyre comes out) and also a crack in the echo. My try all is stronger so far but is starting to dent, probably because i grind my rim to much. Onza hogs hold grinds really well and are strong so i would buy one of them.

6 month ago Try-all were shite and Ronnie was the rim to be riding. Now its the other way around.

When the Echo 06 first cam out, they were the rim to have, Until someone killed one.

Anyway when I get some money I'm getting myself a lovely black Echo 07. If they hold up. If they don't, erm I'll be a sheep and get a Try-all! >_<

Few less pies per inch may have helped.

I dont realllly think its the rim itself, more the quality of the build. Rims aren't really varied that much and with trials its a weight/strength war. Fair enough, some rims might be completely wank and fold over quickly but a rim is just a mass producted peice of shite, its pot luck if you get one thats passed through 'quality control', and for the price of them, its not something I'd really consider gumbling about.

Look at stems, I bet most come from the same factory...Zoo, Try-all, Echo...whatever, its all made by the same guy for 20p an hour.

But other than that, Try-all for the win I suppose, never let me down yet.

Highlighted bit = true many years ago, maybe...