Freewheels Explanation

trials_noob

Hi there,

I have been reading a few topics about freewheels and being new to trials I have no idea what they do or how they help your riding. So can someone please explain to me what they do,how they help and what differences are noticed with them?

I have tried searching and went through 6 pages of results but couldn't find anything that said what they did and how they helped.

Thanks (Y)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

thats the terms of taking to pieces WI Eno Trials freewheel 18t

there are 6 pawls(3 short and 3 long) on the main screw body, ratchet 18t steel cog and sealed bearing

if smth isnt clear up there just ask me

^_^

in short:

you need freewheel when you are using fixed rear hub

they differ by their free run

most popular: acs, eno, tensile and try all

Edited by jacks

Basically, it's what makes the 'click' sound when you roll along without pedalling. On mods, the freewheeling part of the bike is on the crank arm, and it just screws on.

You have a set of pawls and springs mounted into the freewheel's body. The springs push the pawls (little metal arms) up, and away from the body. This makes the pawls pivot up so they mesh into a ratchet (like little triangles cut out of the metal, basically) which is on the shiny silver driveshell. The driveshell spins around the freewheel body one way, the clicking sound are the pawls being forced back up into the ratchet bits by the springs. When you pedal, the pawls are pushed into the flat faces of the ratchet points, and this engages the chain.

There's also a thread in the FAQ section of Trials Chat which has some pretty detailed pics of a White Industries Eno freewheel being stripped 'n' cleaned which may help you out too :)