Problem With Acs Freewheel

An_toin3

So here's the deal, Last night I tried a front gap, and my freewheel skipped pretty harsh, resulting me going head first on a wall, luckyli I managed to put my hand and get out of this safely ! After that, my freewheel hasn't been the same, it's skipping very often and doing some very wierd noise.

My first thoughts were that it's dead, but it's still engaging and everything, it's only skipping :S

Here's the sound in question that I Recorded !

Freewheel Broke

I'm pretty sure someone on here knows what it is. I just need to know if I keep my freewheel or I simply put it in the garbage :ermm:

Thanks

Edited by An_toin3

The best thing to do would just be to take your crank off, strip it down, and just see what's going on. You may have sheared off part of the pawl which could now be floating around. There'll still be 1 pair of pawls working and then a single pawl (Which would explain some of the skipping), as well as the bits of metal stopping the others from worknig sometimes giving you more skips - just strip it and see (Y)

Forgot to say, it's a freewheel on the rear, but that doesn't change anything to what you said OBM !

I don't have the tool to take if off ?, LBS is at like 40min from here :- Is there another way to remove it ?

Thanks for the fast reply :)

ooh right :rolleyes:

Now, sorry to sound like a perfect noob.., but I have never serviced my freewheel, I had 2, the other one died because of the threads.. ! So How do I open it up ? :-

Edited by An_toin3

Take your wheel out and lay it so you've got the face of the freewheel pointing up.

Take a hammer and a screwdriver (or allen key, or centre punch, or whatever - as long as it fits into one of the two holes on the lockring/faceplate), and hammer the lockring around CLOCKWISE - it's got opposite thread :)

Once you've taken this off, you'll have the top layer of bearings in view, with the driveshell still held in place loosely. If you get a small flat-head screwdriver or a little allen key, try and scoop the top layer of bearings out. After you've moved them out the way, there'll be a little thin spacer that helps keep the lockring in the right place. Slip them off. From this point, you should be able to see the pawls and springs, and just have a look to see if there is any obvious damage to either the ratchet (pointy bits on the drive shell) or the pawls or springs themselves. It'll probably be fairly obvious, but be thorough :) If you want to be doubly sure, take the driveshells off and inspect them by hand. Just remember there's a second set of bearings near the back of the freewheel, so if you don't have to disrupt them - don't :P

After that, just throw it all back as you found it and you should be fine (Y)

Just remember there's a second set of bearings near the back of the freewheel, so if you don't have to disrupt them - don't :P

After that, just throw it all back as you found it and you should be fine (Y)

Yeeah because all the little f**king bearings goes on the floor and you lose the big majority of them ! (N) What a great experience :closedeyes: Think I have everyone of them ! :turned:

Oh and when I opened it up, I noticed some bearings missing ? or maybe it was normal, but there a 1cm space between the bearings.., I don't think that it is normal ?

Yeeah because all the little f**king bearings goes on the floor and you lose the big majority of them ! (N) What a great experience :closedeyes: Think I have everyone of them ! :turned:

Oh and when I opened it up, I noticed some bearings missing ? or maybe it was normal, but there a 1cm space between the bearings.., I don't think that it is normal ?

nar it int ... just get a new one.