Standard Onza Forks - To - Smart Guys

The Duck

I've just bought some smart guy forks and I went to fit them. But when I had my old standard onza forks off, I saw that the hole where the star nut sits (down tube ??) is waaaaaaaaay too small for an average sized star nut. What do I do?

Cheers

I've just bought some smart guy forks and I went to fit them. But when I had my old standard onza forks off, I saw that the hole where the star nut sits (down tube ??) is waaaaaaaaay too small for an average sized star nut. What do I do?

Cheers

The smart guy forks should have a threaded inside which is designed to be used in conjunction with the top cap bolt supplied with the forks. It removes the need for a star nut altogether and is a lot more secure. Just screw the top cap in to tighten them up.... you'll need a 6mm allen key to do it. Nothing to it at all.

Edited by Krisboats

the star nut is ment to be bigger then the fork tube. You need to hammer it in, its the friction that holds it in place. Or better yet get one of them ahead sets, that holds the fork from the bottom of the tube.If you no what i mean.

The smart guy forks should have a threaded inside which is designed to be used in conjunction with the top cap bolt supplied with the forks. It removes the need for a star nut altogether and is a lot more secure. Just screw the top cap in to tighten them up.... you'll need a 6mm allen key to do it. Nothing to it at all.

Your an expert! haha

I thaught that the threaded top cap sort of thing was just to protect the forks when they were off or something :blink:

I had no idea i was that thick.

Cheers

Your an expert! haha

I thaught that the threaded top cap sort of thing was just to protect the forks when they were off or something :blink:

I had no idea i was that thick.

Cheers

Ha ha, no worries dude... i've done plenty of things like that in the past.

Just goes to show how you people on a forum will tell you to bash a new starnut in anyway or angle grind it so its smaller, despite the fact the solution is completely different and that their methods most likely wouldn't work as securely.