Need Your Knowledge On

Synergy

ok well my mum has low iron meaning she runs out of energy quickly IF she has energy that its, and she is wanting a bike to get her from work and back in the summer and autumn etc.

so i thought a racing bike would be easiest? if you disagree please let me know?

but was wondering if anyone had a clue on which company to go for eg trek gt kona etc, if they do womens bikes? and just any type of make that is easy to go on like freewheeling and easy to pedal?

Best thing to do is have a wonder around halfords if nobody suggests anything on here. They're all pretty damn cheap in there and (assuming you have a decent store) they will have a large range.

Might sound stupid, but has your mum tried Iron suppliment pills?

Best thing to do is have a wonder around halfords if nobody suggests anything on here. They're all pretty damn cheap in there and (assuming you have a decent store) they will have a large range.

Might sound stupid, but has your mum tried Iron suppliment pills?

Yeah, if she's low on iron, take more iron!

But yeah, road bikes are easily the best (fastest) thing for the road, although be aware that they're not as easy to ride as mountain bikes. My girlfriend hates my road bike 'cos she can hardly ride it. So try before you buy I guess. Also if you ever want to ride off road, you're better off getting a mountain bike. They're far more versatile and only slightly slower on road if set up right.

Halfords only do a few road bikes, although they are supposed to be pretty decent for the money. I've got a carrera *something* from there, cost about £280 if I remember rightly. Anyway, it seems good, and it's coping well. It's currently done almost 1000 miles without a service, anyway (I should get around to it, really).

racing bikes are good for those who like them, cannondale do womens specific racing bikes. The other option might be to go for a hybrid. easier to ride on the road than a mtb but it doesn't have the extreme position of a road bike.

Giant FCR's are the most racey hybrid style bikes i know of. Or a cannondale bad boy or bad boy ultra (i think they market that as an URBAN ASSAULT MACHINE or something along them lines)

Good luck in your hunt.

Yeah, if she's low on iron, take more iron!

Or drink more guiness!!! ;)

no seriously im sorry about your mum and considered her condition or w.e. a road bike is definatly best.... for any road use road bikes are the best - they dont require much enegry are quick an simple to use there super!!! just a carrera or something are super -- a £200 will last a lifetime if looked after well

I'm guessing your Mum's not currently well into riding or anything, so something like a hybrid would be a lot better. Road bikes tend to take quite a while to get used to, and unless you're serious about it it won't really be that nice. Hybrids are made to be comfy and fast though, so it'd probably be a better option? You can pick them up pretty cheaply if they're rigid, and maybe a bit more if they've got a short travel sus fork on there. Either way, comfier to ride, still got slicks on so you can get places OK, and you're not hunched over the front so in a city, you'll have more visibility (I'd have thought...). All good, really.

also forgot to mention its the highland concil paying for it its to do with getting teachers to cycle to school to encourage the kids so the council are paying £1000 fer bikes hence why my mum wants a racing bike so she has about a thousand.

also forgot to mention its the highland concil paying for it its to do with getting teachers to cycle to school to encourage the kids so the council are paying £1000 fer bikes hence why my mum wants a racing bike so she has about a thousand.

That is an awesome perk. Tell her to get an XC bike in your size, and then stick her on an Argos full-susser for £80.

That is an awesome perk.

I beg to differ. Whats the freaking point? Fair enough getting kids to ride to school...those who want to do it will do, those who dont, wont.

£1000 is VERY over the top if you ask me, even taking into consideration helmets and gloves if they wear them. Why don't they just invest the money in PE equipment such as bikes FOR pe? Its a lot more effective as Little Timmy will have a go on a bike in PE, go home and nag his parents for a bike.

Little Timmy won't go home and say 'Miss Smith has a bike...can I have one?'.

I beg to differ. Whats the freaking point?

I agree it doesn't really make sense from a money point of view, but from the point of view of someone who's getting a £1000 bike for free, I'd say it's great.

if she has a grand take a look at bianchi and scott and stay away from halfords go to a little independent shop where in general they will help you MUCH more and fit the bike exactly to her and probably have good after service. Thats what i would do.

Just ridden a road bike for the first time today, it definately isn't as easy as you might wish to think, however is undoubably faster than an xc bike and more comfortablle to ride whilst actually going for it (if that makes sence).

Very different to the feel of other bikes, but should be easy enough to get used to.

If its a bike for riding on the road a road bike really would make sence imo. Can't comment on what to buy though, other than the fact I was riding a carrera Valour (bough 2nd hand from georgy boy) and it seemed pretty decent for a person starting out, with decent set up for its £350 rrp.

Go cannondale for the win with £1K though shurely?

For a grand your mum could buy a specialized roubaix or a top spec specialized allez from www.mcconveycycles.com who support cycle scheme over here in NI but I believe they do it for the mainland too.

Those two bikes are absolute crackers and Mc Conveys has a 20% sale on road bikes for the duration of the Tour De France.

Nooo, I need it. And disturbingly I've started to enjoy just going on road rides for miles :ermm:

That's 'cos road's awesome.

Oh, and judging from the amount of shit my Mum carries to school with her daily, your Mum will probably be carrying stuff with her, in which case a road bike may not be ideal... Just go with her to a shop, sit her on a variety of bikes and see what feels most comfortable, really.

Can she get two bikes? If that was my money, I'd get a £500 XC bike and a £500 road bike. But I'm guessing she probably can't do that.

P.S. Mudguards = cool, OK? Definitely worth spending money on if it's gonna be used for commuting.. They'll probably throw them in for free anyway if you're spending £1000.

If its a bike for riding on the road a road bike really would make sence imo. Can't comment on what to buy though, other than the fact I was riding a carrera Valour (bough 2nd hand from georgy boy) and it seemed pretty decent for a person starting out, with decent set up for its £350 rrp.

I think that's what mine is.

How much did you pay for it?