Laptop

SamHolmes

try www.digiuk.com too

Thats where I got my £999 beast!:

3ghz processor

512 ram

80gb HD

128mb dedicated graphics

etc. etc. They're pretty good and I think they're quie cheap. Also use www.pricerunner.com to check for the cheapest prices once you've found the one you want (Y)

Dell. Good, despite what some cynics think.

Dell are bloody good value but the build quality on this years laptops (the ones that are all white and mac-like) seems to really suck - that's the expensive ones as well so I dread to think what the cheap ones are like.

Acer do some good ones, not sure they'll go as low as £400 but it's worth a look.

Apart from that, maybe think about getting an older one off ebay - my mum got a 1.4 pentiumM with a half gig of ram and basic graphics for about £300-400 a year ago and it's going strong - good and fast apart from the graphics card.

Sam i got a brand new mac ibook off ebay for £400. Have a look on there but be careful on what you bid on, theres a lot of crap on there too. I picked my laptop up so i could have a look at it first (Y)

I know of someone that just sold a 1GHz, 1024Mb Powerbook 15" for £400, I tink that would be a much better idea than an off-the-peg but cheap laptop, which will be huge, noisy and built badly. Or just a year-old Thinkpad or similar, if you don't buy the Mac fanboyism. Quality of laptops is much more important than it is with desktops, and I'd certainly not look at the spec alone.

what ive heard about dell are that the cheaper ones are bad machines but the more expensive are real good!

i have a dell inspiron top end one from a year or two back its a real good machine (Y)

The machines are fine component wise, good spec for a good price, it's just the build quality of the case etc, on this years batch that leaves a bit to be desired.