Computer Crashing...

Brian Bleech

basically my cpu gets to 60 degree and then crashes. I have a heatsink and an exhaust fitting, should I..

a ) f**ked, new cpu (and motherboard maybe) time

b ) worth fitting a new bigger heatsink and exhaust

c ) something else

d ) sod it and put up with it

Edited by leedstrials

er

check your BIOS - there'll be a setting in there somewhere to set the shutdown temperature, If that says 60 then you've identified the problem. I've got an athlon 64 3200 and mine's set at 80 degrees but i'd ask the internet before changing the setting from the system default

I'd be more concerned about why it gets that hot. Mine starts at about 25 degrees and never, ever goes above 30-35 degrees (including games and rendering out of Max) with a standard OEM heatsink and fan

Make sure all the cooling stuff is attached properly, it doesn't sound like it's working all that well to me.

and....

Are you absolutely sure it's heat? I recently had power supply problems that looked like heat. If you've stuck a badass graphics card in the machine you could be sucking an extra 50 or 100 watts out of the power supply which is exactly the sort of thing that makes your machine turn itself off with no warning. It won't necessarily happen all at once - my last PSU took months to give up.

I will check the bios out tonight dude, thanks. Also, I will make sure everything is attached properly, I am pretty sure it is.

I don't have a mega powerful pc and have a fairly basic graphics card, nothing special. I don't play games, but do a bit of video editing. Will get the spec tonight...

Hmmm.. dusty fans? build up of dust anywhere causes the buggers to heat up like crazy. I took apart the whole of my dell laptop to clean out one of the fans which blows agains tthe cpu. You couldnt even see through the headsinks from all the dust clogged up in there. Required a lot of time and effort to take apart a laptop and i have 5 screws left over lol.. but it works a f**king treat now :)

get some mroe of that silver grease stuff and wack is between the heatsink and the chip.

mine was crashing like this when i first built it and i had just forgot the silver grease, soon as i put some on it was fine.

maybe yours just needs a top up.

I had this problem when I bought a 2nd hard drive.

to solve I bought:

New case - The old one was too small. I had to make my own frame for the new drive to sit in, and it overheated like a bitch.

2x Hard drive coolers

2x front fans

1x side fan

1 CPU fan

Power pack with large fan in it (already had that)

1x rear fan

Also have a fan on graphics card.

If anything my computer runs too cold, but I was told thats a good thing, so I dont care.

Now I just have to put up with a computer that sounds like a transit van

60 degrees really isn't that hot, and certainly not hot enough to cause any damage. If your computer is set to turn off at 60 degrees, then that setting is wrong. You won't cause any damage until 90+ degrees. The air that's coming out of the back of the PC, how hot is it?

If anything my computer runs too cold, but I was told thats a good thing

There's no such thing as too cold really (Y)

60 degrees really isn't that hot, and certainly not hot enough to cause any damage. If your computer is set to turn off at 60 degrees, then that setting is wrong. You won't cause any damage until 90+ degrees. The air that's coming out of the back of the PC, how hot is it?

its not that hot! i checked the bios and found that it was set to 'unlimited' so :S dunno.

but i did notice the system fan speed was a highly fast 0 rpm, is that the one on the power supply?

its not that hot! i checked the bios and found that it was set to 'unlimited' so :S dunno.

but i did notice the system fan speed was a highly fast 0 rpm, is that the one on the power supply?

nope, that'll be the cpu fan (or possibly an extra case fan depending on your mobo). if you don't have one then it speaks the truth, if you do have one then it's probably not spinning round - which is bad. They aren't compulsory but theres a plug on the motherboard that the bios monitors to make sure that if you have got one it works.

I don't know about that. Older AMD chips can be shagged at 70deg's Cel.... like mine.

Could be any number of things. If you have a spare PSU that you know is working try changing it. Try unplugging any cards installed and starting up. If it works, plug them in and power up one at a time until you find the fault. Check you have the coolant lube crap between the chip and heatsink. If it's an older AMD chip go with Intel or new AMD chips. (Y)

tried a few things, but none of them seem to be working! I think its just f**ked.

so buying a new bundle ...

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MBB-C26256

but quite honestly my current 1.6gig is more than enough. so if anyone can point me in the direction of cheaper stuff than would awesome. any good ebay bargain shops maybe!!!