The Top Gear Thread

Smo™

Of course its a bloody hoax. Schumacher does not have enough time to be doing that all the time. Clearly the situation was:

Top Gear: "Hi Ferrari, We'd like that FXX to come round our track... can we borrow it"

Ferrari: "Nah, we've only got 30 and only the owners and one other guy are allowed to drive them"

TG: "Who might that be?"

F: "Some bloke from germany who won the F1 championship x times"

TG: "I think we might have a plan........"

Why can the people not store their car at their house?

How often do you think the people who own them would want them there? The people who can afford to spend a million quid on a supercar are people who are probably going to be fairly busy most of the time, and so to be able to arrange to have their own private car appear at a track-day they want to go to would probably be a pretty good selling point for them, rather than having to hire a lorry to take it themselves...

How often do you think the people who own them would want them there? The people who can afford to spend a million quid on a supercar are people who are probably going to be fairly busy most of the time, and so to be able to arrange to have their own private car appear at a track-day they want to go to would probably be a pretty good selling point for them, rather than having to hire a lorry to take it themselves...

If you had the money to buy it, I'd say drive it every day! Look at people to buy/maintain Veyrons..

If you had the money to buy it, I'd say drive it every day! Look at people to buy/maintain Veyrons..

Did you see the car skittering around on the track? Imagine how f**king savage it'd be driving it around on a normal road, not to mention how expensive it'd be to replace bodywork/stuff if you crashed it. But yeah, main thing would be the time you'd have spare, and how shit it'd be having to drive one on the road. No fun at all compared to ragging it round a track...

at first i wasn't so sure about stig being schumacher, but after reading the last few pages im very certain he isn't the stig.

cheers guys :) because that would have completely ruined the show for me..

plus thinking more... he's got a VERY distinctive accent which all the guests for the reasonably priced car will be able to tell when they have track lessons with the stig.

top gear, do us a f**king favour and keep him as a secret.

steve

The FXX are a gentleman racers car.

They can only take one day of twatting then there all serviced ready for the next blast.

so if you took it home, forgetting about the fact you need a f**king good circuit to even drive it on with out having your spince snapped.

youd have a pretty useless car after 6months.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that was, on thw whole, a 'meh' episode.

The challenge was dull, the Evora review was short and un-informative, the stig thing was amusing, but I knew Schumacher was involed because that is his FXX.

And I've forgotten what else happened because it was so mundane.

I'll keep watching, because it's Top Gear and I've watched through it's various formats since I was about 7.

But for now 5th Gear gets the nod in terms of actual car stuff.

plus thinking more... he's got a VERY distinctive accent which all the guests for the reasonably priced car will be able to tell when they have track lessons with the stig.

Do you actually think that when they're being taught the racing line on the track, they'd be taught by the Stig in character?

5th Gear is incredibly dull and far less informative than a decent magazine. Drivers Republic is the driver's choice.

The thought was in the back of my mind, but not certain for sure. Plus Ferrari have half a dozen drivers they could send, usually Dario Benuzzi. Ferrari do not insist on keeping hold of FXX cars at the factory, and several owners do keep them - such as the collectors who have never run their cars. Edo have converted one car for road use (somehow) too. However, for those who run the cars at the Ferrari events then it's just easier to let Ferrari handle all the transport and maintenance.

Do you actually think that when they're being taught the racing line on the track, they'd be taught by the Stig in character?

Yup. Don't know it for certain but it really wouldn't surprise me if Ben tells them how it should be done. Whether he's suited up with the helmet on or whether they just sign a confidentiality agreement or whatever is another matter.

5th Gear is incredibly dull and far less informative than a decent magazine. Drivers Republic is the driver's choice.

Of minor note is that on this weeks 5th gear one of the presenters gets taught to ride some mototrials by Dougie Lampkin. Not exactly ground breaking considering VBH did it last year but could be amusing nonetheless.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that was, on thw whole, a 'meh' episode.

The challenge was dull, the Evora review was short and un-informative, the stig thing was amusing, but I knew Schumacher was involed because that is his FXX.

And I've forgotten what else happened because it was so mundane.

I'll keep watching, because it's Top Gear and I've watched through it's various formats since I was about 7.

Have to agree I'm afraid. :(

I felt they could have made some of it more entertaining fairly easily. The whole stig thing was dragged out too much if you ask me, and it took me a while to remember that the evora was that Lotus...

Also, taken from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...Schumacher.html

His identity is a closely guarded secret - although many people have speculated about who inhabits the famous white overalls and helmet.

Some reports insist he is a Norwegian racing car driver, others a Frenchman.

In January it was revealed that the BBC employs no fewer than eight drivers to don his pristine racing whites.

The most high-profile is Heikki Kovalainen, the 27-year-old Finnish Formula One McLaren driver who is Lewis Hamilton's partner.

Forty-one-year-old former GT world championship racing driver Chris Goodwin, from London, has also starred as the Stig.

As has fellow Londoner Julian Bailey, a 47-year-old former Formula One racing driver who raced for the Tyrell and Lotus teams.

Stunt driver Terry Grant from Bushey in Hertfordshire has also slipped into the white racing leathers to become the Stig.

Stunt driver Russ Swift is another who has become the Stig.

Finally, Dan Lang, a Swedish snow mobile racing champion played the Stig in a Top Gear stunt where he jumped a snow mobile off a ski jump.

A source on the show added: 'Look at the pictures of the Stigs from show to show. If you look at the height of Stig in different pictures, that tells its own story.'

However, with the unveiling of Michael Schumacher, perhaps the mystery has finally been soved.

If you ask me they should have never revealed his identity, the whole idea of the stig was that he was an independant judge with no preferences of cars and that he was more of a computer than a bloke, now they're saying it's a guy thats been in Ferraris back pocket since the 90s, great....

Ah well, lets just wait for the new Veyron, no doubt they'll find some insane new way to test it and Jeremy will drive it somewhere and say it's in a whole new league to the old veyron, despite being mostly the same apart from the power figure.

If you ask me they should have never revealed his identity, the whole idea of the stig was that he was an independant judge with no preferences of cars and that he was more of a computer than a bloke, now they're saying it's a guy thats been in Ferraris back pocket since the 90s, great....

I think it's been established that he's not the Stig. Schumacher would have just came along with the FXX and Top Gear decided to 'unveil' him as the stig to get everyone watching the series again. They even said at the end it was a joke.

They're just going to start alienating their audience if they're not careful, there was no point in saying it was Schumacher, he might have been for that lap or even a couple before, but it's not him most of the time.

Mind you it is a scripted entertainment show, if they made everthing truthful I dont think it would be anything like as fun.

Therefore I'm going to watch the rest blindly believing it all, Schumacher is the stig and none of the races are fixed. (Y)

Like a religion, but fun.

The races aren't fixed - not the Jeramey vs Hammond and May anyway. However they do fix it pre-race so that they should arrive at their destination at exactly the same time.

My mate from over the hill knows a guy who films for Top Gear occasionally, and he said they're mostly completely made up.

Think about it, yesterday May and Clarkson were dry all day, yet Hammond was riding through driving rain pretty much all the time.

And how often have you seen a race where they didn't all end within 30 seconds of each other?

I find that very, very, very unlikely... Kind of like religion too, I guess.

I remember watching something when the producers were talking about it - they said basically all you need to do is look at public transport times, which are all pretty fixed and accurate, and then take average time for a car to travel over that distance and that's basically it. Factor in a few things like the fact that he's never in an ordinary car etc and you've got yourself a fair race.

And just by watching the shows you can see they obviously edit it to make it look like they get there at exactly the same time, but on one of the races they were honest about the fact that Jeramey won by hours "I'll be honest with you guys, i'm here and have been for some time".

I can't really see why it would need to be 'faked', they're always going to get there within an hour or so at the same time.

And how often have you seen a race where they didn't all end within 30 seconds of each other?

All but 1.

Edited by JT!