Magura Brake Fluid

Trialsjunkie99

...or if you just mean a substitute oil, it's called summat like mineral oil I think, used for cars. You can get a massive bottle from Halfords (I used to get the stuff made by Citroen) for a fraction of t' price of official Maggy oil, and it's identical stuff.

Bear in mind that using owt else might knacker the seals in yer brake and/or void your warranty (sp?) if such a thing exists in Maggy-land.

It has, however, been some years since I last ventured into the territory of the hydraulic brake, so things may have changed...

(Get some decent v-brakes! Forget about oil/bleeding/hoses/general farting about forever!)

theres something better than water and as thin as it AND its oil BASED!!!!! B)

if anyone gets to feel my brake you can have a go and see what the lever feels like. have ad the same stuff in for like 4months and it feels like my disc brake lever.

Water sucks!!!! we went out in the snow and one of the lads had water in his brake and it just froze over, no matter what people say iv used water and it JUST doesnt have that feel of "oil" yes it returns fast, but the hold/lock is affected, as water contains "air" therefore the water compresses.

Waynio........................

Be safe and keep it simple. iv felt some brakes with magura fluid in and thought they have had some thing different in. cos it felt just as good as other things. light action and nice return.

wayne...dont want to sound like a smart arse...but water is a liquid..

there is no air in water- there may be some small amounts of dissolved carbon dioxide (for example), but that doesn't make it any more compressible...

personally..i like water (Y)

but i haven't tried what wayne's got...

adam

Water + anti-freeze is fine for me, pretty much. Super nice lever feel, works fine, doesn't freeze, etc. All good :) Been sitting in my brake since November or October now, and it's yet to leak or whatever.

Nobody has mentioned LHM brake oil. I use it in my brakes and is pretty much as good as Royal Blood - the standard Maggy oil you get now. Its luminous green and is used for Citreon (sp) cars brakes and its widely available in Halfords. As Waynio has said, dont use water, its not what the brakes were designed to use and it reduces the life of your brakes, so if you buy a new set and re-bleed with water you are effectively not getting your money's worth, as Maggy's last years if they are correctly looked after!

Hope this helps.

Jonny.

Nobody has mentioned LHM brake oil. I use it in my brakes and is pretty much as good as Royal Blood - the standard Maggy oil you get now. Its luminous green and is used for Citreon (sp) cars brakes and its widely available in Halfords. As Waynio has said, dont use water, its not what the brakes were designed to use and it reduces the life of your brakes, so if you buy a new set and re-bleed with water you are effectively not getting your money's worth, as Maggy's last years if they are correctly looked after!

Hope this helps.

Jonny.

THAT's the stuff I was on about :) Ah I remember now...

I use steel these days :P

Hope this helps.

Jonny.

Although, having said that, the seals are just for mineral fluids, and that means they can hold water in them, so it's not really a problem? I've had water in my rear Magura for about 3 years now, and it's still not leaked at all. It didn't leak for the 2 years before that it had oil in either, but water gives me a way nicer lever feel compared to oil, so the fact that Magura want me to use a hideously over-priced "Official" fluid in there isn't really going to change anything. A complete Magura in good condition can be had for like £20 off here, so it's all good even if it suddenly changed entirely overnight and pissed fluid or whatever :)