50cc Bikes... What Do You Have?

JoNnY__Mc

Oh , where to begin. I have a Yamaha Jog-R, Which i would recommend if you could pick one up second hand, As you don't really want to be buying from new, Because you lose so much money. they are great handling bikes and i have recently added a Leo Vince 'TT' sports exhaust,Rollers and Clutch Springs.This enables lyla to keep up with every other moped up to the range of about 45ish where she dosent quite have the top end.

However i Would also recommend an Nrg , my friend has one and if you looking for speed its definitely worth considering as they can become very quick with a small amount of effort, although on the other hand they can be quite unreliable.

You should stay away from the aerox's though, they are over priced and hyped up, they are not faster than other bikes, but are heavier and bigger. I can not enthisise enough how much you shouldn't buy from new unless you are minted, as you might aswell go second hand and save a grand, Also your quite likely to fall off in your first year, no matter how much you think you wont come off, you will its just a matter of time!

Rick

Haha, coming from the kid who was always telling me that buying new was great because he can sell it for the same he paid. :P

I'm going to kill you. Where did you get that from phillip, Probably in my learning days, my advice is the finest, most valuable and modern on the streets :P

How old do you have to be in england to get a proper bike?

Just wondering because over here it goes.

Age 16 --- 125cc or less (CBT must be passed)

Age 17 --- Any size bike goes (as long as test is passed otherwise its still 125 or less)

Si you beat me to it :P

Bought it off my mate for £130...

Got about 45 out of it I think..on flat..had a proper jacket, helmet, super padded gloves etc, so I was all safe.

Haven't been on it in aaaages...

IPB Image

How old do you have to be in england to get a proper bike?

Just wondering because over here it goes.

Age 16 --- 125cc or less (CBT must be passed)

Age 17 --- Any size bike goes (as long as test is passed otherwise its still 125 or less)

here its

16 - 50cc

17 - 125

18 - you can take your full licence or 17 i dont know

I've just read Snappel's post and he's right. I got given the same advice he gave me a year ago. Save your money. Save it until you've got over £2000 to spend and you'll get a half decent bike. Mine's cost me £2600 all together so far, just for bike, clothing and insurance. Maybe a little more.

Just save up and get something decent. Remember insurance on your Ped will be £400 and a bit, but on my bike it's £570. And it's 12 times the engine capacity. And being able to "do 70 with no mods" is a bit of a joke. I hit 70 in third quite comfortably, of 6 gears.

Just wait, and get a nice bike when you've passed your test. Trust me. It'll be worth the short wait of a year.

I swear, it went 70 without mods. It was previously owned by a old person, so i wasnt ragged. There damn quick!

I take it your going to be riding on the road. Which means tax, about £15, next, to insure a 16 year old its about £300-600, then you need to take your CBT test, which means another £70-100, then another 200 to 800 for the moped itself, have you thought this through??

I swear, it went 70 without mods. It was previously owned by a old person, so i wasnt ragged. There damn quick!

I'm not saying your scooter can't do 70. I'm just saying you won't even need to go 70 'cos you can't go on motorways so you'll be doing it illegally, and raping your scooter. Plus they've got so little power you can't even accelerate to get out of the way of stuff if need be.

Differences between bigger bikes is obviously top end, but that doesn't really matter after 115mph or so, cos if you're doing that on a motorbike, good f**king luck getting out of hospital.

It's the changing speeds aspect :)

Just wait. I'm soooo glad I did.

here its

16 - 50cc

17 - 125

18 - you can take your full licence or 17 i dont know

Kind of.

If you're 16 you can only ride a 50cc bike with a 12.5 hp output I think.

At 17 you can do many things. You are entitled to ride up to a 125cc after you've taken a CBT. If you have a full car license you're entitled to a 125cc provisional straight away, on L plates.

You can either ride around on your 125 (funfunfun - not) or take two motorbike tests. Cat A1 which is on the route for a full motorcycle license, or an A2 which is just meaning you can ride a 125cc without L plates.

I took my Cat A license test and passed a few weeks ago. That means I can ride anything which has an output up to 33bhp (so even a Yamaha R1 restricted to 33bhp) without L plates. I've got a Suzuki Bandit 600 :)

This is for a two year period. After 2 years I can ride whatever I want. At the moment I have a "restricted" licesne. Insurance for my 600 is £570 TPFT. Rob's is similiar I think.

:)

Edited by Nick Carter

That means I can ride anything which has an output up to 33bhp (so even a Yamaha R1 restricted to 33bhp) without L plates.

Not that you would EVER restrict or insure an R1 or anything over a 600 really to 33bhp :P

I know it was only an example but they did a test and restricted a hyabusa (1300cc) to 33bhp and it was pretty much un-useable.

(Y)