50cc Bikes... What Do You Have?

JoNnY__Mc

yeah i know it sounds abit chavvy, and i know theres already a motorbike thread, but im looking at bikes for when i turn 16... so i was wondering if anyone has had a 50cc bike/moped? what would you advise? im looking either a pegeuot speedfight, yahama aerox or an mbk nitro. i know it sounds lame/childish/immature but i want something quicker than any other 50cc and something that has upgrades available, iv heard the speedfights are quick but i havent had any experience with them... so post away, lets see what you've got/had (Y)

cheers Jonny

Dont go near the aerox, theyre a nightmare. Speedfights are ok if you deristrict them but they need a lot of setting up. Best bet would be an nrg or sr50. Do not go anywhere near a dia-tech (fuel injected) bike. Theyre f**kin awful. If it has a kick start it isnt fuel injected (Y)

thats quite good! my brother has a kymco zx50, crap name and not very well know, but without any upgrades and only a derestriction + with a 14stone heavy lad, its quicker off the line than both a gilera ice and also a geared sr50 :- now thats shocking... i have to get something quicker though... we are brothers... we have to compete

Edited by JoNnY__Mc

i know what you meen mate, is it wise to buy one with everything already fitted? or something without it as less damage has been done to the engine and theres less chance of it being ragged? i dont know? does it do too much damage to the engine... im adding you... this is a 2 man thread :-

edit: nrgs are quite beasty :-

stealthy black

Edited by JoNnY__Mc

you would be best off getting a aprillia sonic GP or a aprillia SR, they are top quality really. My mate's 06 SR just felt really heavy but powerful when i had a go on it, but the GP just felt awesome, really nippy and light

I'm getting this little badass in a few weeks :P . Peds suck until you derestrict them though (and i think its illegal when you still have your provisional). I should be getting mine de restricted the same time as i buy it though.

How sad am I :P

Edited by Jaffacakes

a little thing worth thinking about......any mods made to a moped, like derestricting and big bore kits, means if you crash badly-say hit somebody and hospitalise them, and they find out-the insurance company wont cover you-its you call

my cousin has some stupidly expensive peugeot superbike style thing, cost him 2500 new, its f**k fast and handles real well for a moped-but alas you dont look cool on them

get a proper moped like a crunch 50-look stylish and have fun :P

But that's it though isn't it? If you're going to have a 50cc bike for a year or so, it's not really worth spending loads on it. What about an old Honda CG or something (did they do a 50?). Chances are you'll want something bigger in a year, or maybe even a car, so you probably won't want to be spending £1000+ on this one...

What you should get as paul oliver suggested is one of these badboys. Here. I had a 90cc version and it would easily hit 70mph, without any mods. So im sure the 50cc version will easily hit 50 mph. But anyway, i reccommend the SR50. There VERY quick when modded. Friend had one and it was easily the quickest moped that i have ever been on. Twas uber quick, Ive been riding motorbikes since i was 12. But i have never been on a 50cc moped that scared me. It would do about 65mph, and would stick on the road. So after getting used to it, you wouldnt have to brake round the corners, you could power round them.

Hope this helps you from Lee

What you should get as paul oliver suggested is one of these badboys. Here. I had a 90cc version and it would easily hit 70mph, without any mods. But i have never been on a 50cc moped that scared me. It would do about 65mph, and would stick on the road. So after getting used to it, you wouldnt have to brake round the corners, you could power round them.

Hope this helps you from Lee

yeah lee thats the ped (Y) my mates got 1 and i took it for a spin, and it really does go feckin nicely :) he claimed it could do 50mph, i thought it was more like 45 though which was still impressive

the thing is they arent desinged to go that fast, they have no weight and so any high speeds will be pretty dangerous, ive found most peds to be really skippy and crap on corners, theres nothing to them :(

anyway as snappel said, its only gonna be a year? and you will get bored of it, the novelty soon wears off

another thing...do you really need 1? fair enough if you have it for getting to work, or live far from school, but i find most people really dont need them and waste a whole loada money and time on them, meaning they end up with a shitted fiesta when they turn 17 as its all they can afford, instead of something a little better

alternatively get a f**king great big superbike, and use it on the road without a license and tax, you probably wont get caught :ermm:

Ive got an 06 Sr50 Carb model.

Its really good actually, 62mph on flat :) and thats with it being deristricted and an exhaust.

And you cant say peds dont corner that well, my mate lee amazes me lol, hits corners so fast and just sticks. And there good for getting place-to-place quickly as you can weave in and out of the traffic.

I was thinking about getting a new variator and clutch and belt but couldnt be arsed in the end. Selling it soon and getting a car.

cheers

Peter.....

I've just read Snappel's post and he's right. I got given the same advice he gave me a year ago. Save your money. Save it until you've got over £2000 to spend and you'll get a half decent bike. Mine's cost me £2600 all together so far, just for bike, clothing and insurance. Maybe a little more.

Just save up and get something decent. Remember insurance on your Ped will be £400 and a bit, but on my bike it's £570. And it's 12 times the engine capacity. And being able to "do 70 with no mods" is a bit of a joke. I hit 70 in third quite comfortably, of 6 gears.

Just wait, and get a nice bike when you've passed your test. Trust me. It'll be worth the short wait of a year.

I got a total shitter for my ped its a Honda Sky at goes about 35mph but im not too bothered im 16 and have crashed it a "few" times (not involving cars) just on dirt tracks, wheelies, burnouts. e.t.c. but the funniest being inside a really small park right in between the swings with my mate on the back :-lol so funny - it cost like £180 so it mean i dont really have to care about it which is just as well seeing as someone kicked in my rear light :( but CCTV caught them an i get the footage when they get back :shifty: gonna be fun!!!

anway for more your alley - my friend has something more like this

IPB Image

its got off road tires and "slight" mods think it runs up good 60mph flat i beat him to 5 though :Plol

Theres varios things you can do my friend spent £900 on a speedfighter is goes EXACTLY the same speed as mine - its as wide as a f**king tank so in races i always win anyway - (that and there chavs and bottle it :Plol) other people do different things and cane my ass but im not bothered getting a 125 in 6 months! so the bike he brought for £900 goes same speed as mine and since he crashed it is worth about £300?

theres different things you can do but fact is if your on a moped your not going to look cool and wont go OVERLY fast on the other hand another mate has a bent dad whos put a 100cc modifyed engine in his speedfighter 2 which he can pop an easy wheelie from my top speed which pisses me off lol