Help, My Wheel Rubs When I Pedal!

Lee Cable

tighten up your spokes a bit, I had that problem when i first built up the mavics but after they got tightened the wheels were solid, other than that check that your axles aren't snapped

Ok mate, ill have a tighten at break time:) im at school, so whatever i have first (free period/break) ill go and check!

thanks for your help!!

From Lee

Are you using one of those stupid wide rims with the holes in? Such as the Echo or Koxx rims? I suggest running a mavic 721. They just dont break. Tighten spokes is a good idea. A guy I ride with is constantly having this problem with those wide rims. They appear to be made from fudge.

Check your chain, wheel and sprockets.

Its oviously a force things thats making it happen if it only rubs when you pedal, this could be a slighty warped sprocket or bad chain alignment...so when you pedal It could be that your wheel is being forced into the pad.

As said previously, check your spokes and wheel. Disconnect your brake and spin the back wheel, see if it is out of line, squeeze the spokes, there should be a bit of play for check for any that are really solid or really loose...losen and tighten them as needed, but be careful, wheels are dodgy things to piss about with if your inexperienced...on wrong spoke and the whole wheel can screw up, so get a cycle shop to have a look if it needs truing.

If it does need truing, you may aswell get a new rim for the sake of it.

ok thanks guys, I shall have a look in a few minutes and see what is the problem, I have also been having the problem of my chain coming off so it could be that my chain tensionair is out of line. So i shall try and replace it. And see what happens.

I really do love you guys :P , all my bike problems fixed instantly!

From Lee

Edited by radical rider

Are you using one of those stupid wide rims with the holes in? Such as the Echo or Koxx rims? I suggest running a mavic 721. They just dont break. Tighten spokes is a good idea. A guy I ride with is constantly having this problem with those wide rims. They appear to be made from fudge.

And yet the majority of people are fine with such rims. I personally think the mavic rims are highly over-rated and although they are relatively strong there's nothing that exceptional about them, plus they're thin and don't allow maggie pads to fit in a lot of the frames that they are used with and i don't like the look of them, i've never been a fan of pyramid shaped rims. If you'd been using your noggin then you should have been able to easily find out what rim he's using. Chris king hub on mavic rim. (Little hint, its in the rider profile thing)

I think anzo has said the lot really, if you check your wheel chain and sprockets you should be able to find the cause of it. You might also want to try tightening your rear skewer should you use one, this could let your wheel slip forwards slightly each time you pedal.

Edited by Krisboats

He's on a stock, but even on a mod it wouldn't only affect it when pedalling, 'cos it'd just force the wheel into a new place?

You may wanna take the wheel out and see if your axle's still in one piece ('specially if it's a King :P). If the wheel's done up in the frame it won't feel loose, unless you apply some pressure through the pedals, so whip the bitch out and cop a feel...

Alternatively, check thoroughly around the stays and welds for any cracks. Fingers crossed it's just the spokes though!

I always have this problem, no matter how much i do my spokes up, what hub i run etc, i just set my pads a little futher away, but that isnt really the soloution, might have a look at my chainline tomoz, see how that affects it.

Bet my boots that it's rubbing against the left brake pad? This is due to the chain pulling the right part of the hub, the hub pivoting on the left dropout and causing the wheel to bend to the left. IMO the hub is moving very slightly in the dropouts and spoke pressure is not an issue here.

Bet my boots that it's rubbing against the left brake pad? This is due to the chain pulling the right part of the hub, the hub pivoting on the left dropout and causing the wheel to bend to the left. IMO the hub is moving very slightly in the dropouts and spoke pressure is not an issue here.

you owe me some boots :P . Its on the right side. But i think that i have fixed it now:) thanks for your help guys

From Lee

Alternatively it could be a cracked frame, my PX zebber was badly cracked and made the brake rub when i pedalled, was fine when not pedalling.......

Don't tell me, ermmmm bottom bracket shell crack. Phew.

Check for the obvious cracks mate and look had. Its worth knowing its there. Bloody frames.

You tried checking the tension of all the spokes? See if they're loose they may flex easy.

What did you do then?

Well, I took out my rear hub to see if i had snapped it. And it looks all good to me. Silly KC hubs.....soooo annoying. Next i checked the spoke tension. and i found that a couple had come loose. So i tightned them. And this was easily fixed. it had pushed my wheel slightly out of line. I also found that my hanger bolt was loose. which was probably causing the wheel moving when i pedaled. I tightened this. and i put it all back together and it is fine now.

Hope this helps anyoen else that has had this problem.

From Lee