Speeding Fines

zoo p

• 7 months later...

To be fair i always try to keep to the speed limit, but i know how easy it can be to loose concentration look down and go ohh im doing 40 in a 30 or summin.

ha ha laughing at what i said way back then..... what happened?

ive seen that book advertised too, looks good, might get one..

it says to ask the PM when theyve pulled you over, and say, like, could i see the calibration slip or somthing...

dunno though, dont think id have the balls to say something like that, if there being nice, be nice back, they might let you off... if there being a c**t then start being dificult.

to be honest, i dont think theyd bother checking your car for faults, unless there obvis ( bald tyres ect) then its not worth there hassel.

Dave

Stick to the speed limit?

Have none of you people ever driven a car?

Yes in an estate with big signs it's easy to do 30. On a wide open road that looks like a 40 you just creep up to 40... The people that do drive and always stick to the limits are kind of f**king idiots that do 40 in a 60 and make people do irratic (sp?) things like over take on bends. IMO these idiots are worse than people that speed.

It's not easy to stick to the limit.

The people that do drive and always stick to the limits are kind of f**king idiots that do 40 in a 60 and make people do irratic (sp?) things like over take on bends. IMO these idiots are worse than people that speed.

Very very true. They're also the sort of w@nkers who do 40 in a 60 but then continue doing 40 through a 30 limit... now that really pisses me off! It just proves that they have no idea what's going on around them and are the biggest danger on the roads. What I'd give to have a snowplow on the front of my car somedays to push the arseholes off the road...

Dave

edit: on another note there's just been a case heard at the European Court of Human Rights which tried to prove that it is against the law for the police to force someone to admit they were driving the offending car, thus incriminating them. If the case is successful there's talk that all speeding offences could only be dealt with by fines and the point system would have to be scrapped... fingers crossed!

Edited by monkeyseemonkeydo

stick to the speed limit?

set a sensible one and we might do......

ive got my audi now, and its SO easy to go over the speed limit..... double it if you want to.

ive got myself a road angel plus. which i think is AWESOME, its GPS based, with 360degree laser detection built in. best of both worlds!

i update it monthly with a usb cable through the website, and ive never failled to pick up a fixed camera of any sort, including the speed averaging units on the m4 corridor. its also picked up a few mobile laser guns that have been pointed my way, as well as picking up loads of other random laser frequencies, including a car locally that has a difuser to scramble all laser guns.

its awesome, and whilst its not a device that lets you drive fast and get away with it, it does give you peace of mind, and also alerts me to accident blackspots, congestion zones, schools,loads of stuff.

you can pick them up on ebay from £150ish, and theyre awesome!

I got caught doing 58 in a 30 on my motorbike and got a warning ;)

Lucky stuff

Lolll. I got caught about 30 minutes ago on the way home from work in my village on my motorbike. Was going through and its a bit rainy so was being a careful.

Noticed cars were going 30 in this really wide & good visibility road so thought do it, and went to overtake the 3 cars.

Overtook them all, going around 60 then slowing down to about 40 after I got infront of the leading car. Went down the road, turned off on to my street then heard sirens & blue lights in my mirror :

I got realllly scared. Got off, got in the back of their unmarked vectra and they showed me the video they had when they followed me. Said I had an average of 56 in a 30 zone. I said sorry, they said they'll just gimme a verbal warning.

f**king well good.

i think cops are more harsh to speeding cars because my brother was doin 34 mph in a 30 mph at 11.30 at night so no one was about and he got pulled and got a producal and a £30 fine whereas i was on my motorbike doin 50mph in a 30mph zone and got away with a producal and a warning

my brother was doin 34 mph in a 30 mph at 11.30 at night so no one was about and he got pulled and got a producal and a £30 fine.

That sounds seriously harsh... At a real speed of 30mph virtually every car in the UK will be reading at least 32mph I'd have thought. I think it's actually illegal for manufacturers to sell a car with a speedo that under-reads therefore they always play it safe and configure them to over read. The difference becomes more noticable up the speed range but I expect at 30 there'll still be a bit of play.

Are you sure he was only doing 34? :-

Dave

Lolll. I got caught about 30 minutes ago on the way home from work in my village on my motorbike. Was going through and its a bit rainy so was being a careful.

Noticed cars were going 30 in this really wide & good visibility road so thought do it, and went to overtake the 3 cars.

Overtook them all, going around 60 then slowing down to about 40 after I got infront of the leading car. Went down the road, turned off on to my street then heard sirens & blue lights in my mirror :

I got realllly scared. Got off, got in the back of their unmarked vectra and they showed me the video they had when they followed me. Said I had an average of 56 in a 30 zone. I said sorry, they said they'll just gimme a verbal warning.

f**king well good.

Sorry, but that annoys me. 60 in a 30 is just stupid, even if there is good visibility. People say about how hard bikes are to see on the road, "think twice, think bike" and you hurtle down the road at 60??

Think there was an argument on here about who was more irrisposible, bikes or cars. You think, yeah plenty of time to stop if i need to, well not really.

I think the police need to come down harder on people like yourself (sorry to use you as an example here), especially when you come out with comments like "f**king well good". Sounds like you'd go out and do it again.

I think the police need to come down harder on people like yourself (sorry to use you as an example here)

I agree, there's a big difference between 37 in a 30 zone and 60 in a 30 zone. You just got lucky.

As for the whole speeding thing - it's not fair to say nobody sticks to the speed limit. I generally do, especially through towns and villages because it's not like you'll actually get anywhere any faster. On the motorway is a different matter though - if you're on a long journey you can save a good amount of time by taking 80 as the speed limit :rolleyes:

If its a residential area, I will always do my utmost to stick to the limit. Even if the road is wide and clear theres useually a good reason for it being 30.

Now all I'm going to say is have a look at the other post in Chit Chat. Enough said.

Edited by Trials Punk

That sounds seriously harsh... At a real speed of 30mph virtually every car in the UK will be reading at least 32mph I'd have thought. I think it's actually illegal for manufacturers to sell a car with a speedo that under-reads therefore they always play it safe and configure them to over read. The difference becomes more noticable up the speed range but I expect at 30 there'll still be a bit of play.

Are you sure he was only doing 34? :-

Dave

you only get 10% either way so the police can do you at 34 but not at 33

well.......

its as accurate as any other gps based speedo......

it gives exactly the same reading as the satnav on my laptop, and the same as nmt_olis Tom Tom, and seems to generally be perfect.

there is an arguement that says gps speedos cant be trusted due to themt racking your pace across the earths surface, and not accounting for gradients. but this is VERY minimal.

ive compared mine to my speedo on a perfectly flat straight road, and then compared it going up a very steel hill, and the difference is not noticable at all.

i now go entirely by the speed on my road angel, and due to the error in cars speedos, i always find myself going slightly faster past speed cameras than the cars around me, who will all be doing a speedo reading of 30 so as not go get caught, whereas the road angel gives a true reading, and 33 on my speedo is infact 30.

having the road angel does make you think a bit too..... when it flashes up for a blackspot, i do find myself looking around to see where the danger could be, and many times it makes you slow down just contemplating how a serious crash could occur in such places.

i wouldnt want to drive without it these days.....

you only get 10% either way so the police can do you at 34 but not at 33

It used to be 10% + 5mph so in a 30 they tended not to do you for less than 38 but I guess it's always going to be down to the individual's discretion (sp?).

Speeding fines are all just revenue makers anyway... an article in MCN stated new research showed that only 4% of accidents are due to excessive speed yet the police continue to make millions out of drivers in the interest of 'safety'...

It used to be 10% + 5mph so in a 30 they tended not to do you for less than 38 but I guess it's always going to be down to the individual's discretion (sp?).

last i heard the current rough guideline was 10% + 3, giving you 80 on the motorway and 36 around town.....

sounds about right. mu mums had a ticket at 37 before, although that must have been about 42 on her speedo so its her own fault!

well.......

its as accurate as any other gps based speedo......

it gives exactly the same reading as the satnav on my laptop, and the same as nmt_olis Tom Tom, and seems to generally be perfect.

there is an arguement that says gps speedos cant be trusted due to themt racking your pace across the earths surface, and not accounting for gradients. but this is VERY minimal.

ive compared mine to my speedo on a perfectly flat straight road, and then compared it going up a very steel hill, and the difference is not noticable at all.

i now go entirely by the speed on my road angel, and due to the error in cars speedos, i always find myself going slightly faster past speed cameras than the cars around me, who will all be doing a speedo reading of 30 so as not go get caught, whereas the road angel gives a true reading, and 33 on my speedo is infact 30.

having the road angel does make you think a bit too..... when it flashes up for a blackspot, i do find myself looking around to see where the danger could be, and many times it makes you slow down just contemplating how a serious crash could occur in such places.

i wouldnt want to drive without it these days.....

I gotta say i use a snooper and tom tom go 700 with safety cameras bit installed and it really does make you aware of your speed. I bought one due to the crap load of motorway driving i do ( over 8000 miles in a couple of months this summer just on motorway and duals) and when theres roadworks about you can never be sure if you have missed a speed limit change etc. So as far as making you aware they are definitely useful, it does have benefits of telling you where speed cameras are and the snooper tells you whether they are on. But even if they arent i always stick to the limit when going through them as a matter of principal.

However when you have a 4 hour drive ahead with a car ferry leaving in 3 hours ( the next one being 4 hours later) then to be honest, all i use them for is to keep my license as does my dad.

Edited by Spacemunkee