Figure This Out

tipsy Jock

Yeah, the question is written wrong. If the ground simply moves in reverse relative to the plane, it's a no-brainer. The plane goes forwards at 200mph, the treadmill spinning backwards at 200mph, the wheels are spinning at 400mph. No probs, there's not even anything to think about.

But a much better question (which is actually a theoretical conundrum which imo doesn't really have an answer) is the same thing, but the speed of the conveyor belt matches the wheels. But there's too much crap in this thread to start that discussion now.

It's so simple! Despite the answer being explained countless times, and despite two (aptly named) idiots guides, some of you still don't get it!

The conveyor belt does NOT cancel out the speed of the plane, because the plane is not using it's wheels to propell itself.

If a car was on the conveyor belt, with it's speed matched by the conveyor belt, it would not move because they would cancel out. The plane, however, pushes against the surrounding air, which is not connected to the conveyor belt. The wheels roll along the conveyor belt just like they roll along a runway.

SIMPLE. THINK ABOUT IT.

So, the plane can take off, because it IS moving. It makes me wonder, it really does, that it's taken 7 pages of replies and some of you still don't understand. It's really seriously worrying.

But the conveyer belt moves at the speed of the plane, not the wheels. The first post says nothing about the wheels, it says the speed of the plane. Therefor it won't take off, becuase it won't be moving forward.

Stupidest riddle ever.

Edited by JT!

It'd just make them spin faster though, but either way, it doesn't mean shit. I thought people had already got the answer, 'specially after looking at that link above? The wheels are inconsequential, basically. 'cept they stop you scraping the plane up I suppose :rolleyes:

It'd just make them spin faster though, but either way, it doesn't mean shit. I thought people had already got the answer, 'specially after looking at that link above? The wheels are inconsequential, basically. 'cept they stop you scraping the plane up I suppose :rolleyes:

Yeah i already read the answer and everything......but just thought it wouldnt actually be doing any resistance, so if thats the case its a total no brainer, the conveyor belt helps it move...

Yeah i get it.....doesnt matter at all about the speed or direction of the conveyor belt, doesnt effect it in any way

Heres another riddle

There’s a two-story barn that is facing east to west. If the wind is blowing at 25 mph from the north, and a rooster lays an egg on the very peak of the roof of the barn… Which side of the barn will the egg roll down and fall off of? The left side, or the right side?

But the conveyer belt moves at the speed of the plane, not the wheels. The first post says nothing about the wheels, it says the speed of the plane. Therefor it won't take off, becuase it won't be moving forward.

Stupidest answer ever.

:sleeping:

Stupidest riddle ever.

My golly gosh, when have you ever seen a plane TAKE OFF without using wheels?? (dont say harrier jump jet, because it still takes off from on its wheels) You are incorrect, deal with it.

Ian

just think of it like this,

you are wearing a jet pack, and some rollerblades, and are stood on a conveyor-belt that is moving in the opposite direction.

If you turn you jetpack on, (and move horizontaly) you will still be moving, your rollerblades will just be rolling extra fast as you skim over the conveyor-belt.

Or, if you were fly along already and you touched down on a conveyor-belt, you wouldn;t just suddenly stop, your wheels would just spin up extra fast, you would still be moving forward.

Plane takes off anyway.

There’s a two-story barn that is facing east to west. If the wind is blowing at 25 mph from the north, and a rooster lays an egg on the very peak of the roof of the barn… Which side of the barn will the egg roll down and fall off of? The left side, or the right side?

Well even if it was capable of laying an egg, if the barn is facing east-west, it'll have a north-facing bit of roof and a south-facing bit of roof. So the answer is obvious anyway :P

I have another one:

You have a 5-sided pencil with a logo on one side. You throw it up and see where it lands. What is the chance that the logo faces up?