Grips - For Those Who Like The Thin Grips....

ben_travis

basically.......

USE A SQUASH/TENNIS/BADMINTON GRIP.

buy a grip from your local sports shop, cut in half, and wrap around the bar. (it has double sided sticky tape on the underside) then tape up the ends of the grip to reduce the chance of water seeping in and making them move.

Now go RIDE.

Seriously took me and Towler 5 mins to do two handlebars and go riding. From the minute you wrap it on its tough, and stays tough. I rode like normal, sidehops, gaps, and ups and it never moved once, its not a big fat horrid grip and it doesnt give me arm pump like fat man grips. They are seriously some awesome grip, also once you sweat it doesnt get slippy :o.

I wont be buying another set of grips, these are that good :). Longevity is to be seen but i will let you know in due course how they last.

Ill also get pics tommorrow :)

cheers

Ben

Did someone say thin? I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Brahma grips yet, probably 'cos I'm the only one who uses them :P £5 for 4 individual grips. You get 2 pairs, one slightly thinner than the other. The uber thin half is basically a rubber Monty foam grip, and the thicker is...well...slightly thicker? Great feeling though. I usually get about 2 weeks out of the ultra thin part if I ride every day, and I've had 3-4 weeks out of the thicker side now without too much wear. I'm lovin' it though...

Does that grip wrap into a neat finish Ben? The thing I hated about roadie tape - other than it being too thick, hating wet weather, and unravelling like a b*****d - was that it was ultra bumpy and a whore to get flat 'n' neat.

Woot, I did thid last summer, with badminton grips. The stuff which is like a towel (you know with tiny loops) it worked great, lasted a reasonable amount of time (less than rubber ones obiously). The only thing is I didn't really like the feel of them so I only use this when it's really hot and I get uber sweaty.

Does that grip wrap into a neat finish Ben? The thing I hated about roadie tape - other than it being too thick, hating wet weather, and unravelling like a b*****d - was that it was ultra bumpy and a whore to get flat 'n' neat.

well we (me and towler) wrapped them quite tight and it doesnt seem to be as bump as roadie tape (which you get alot more of and dont wrap it as tight, also you shouldnt overlap the tape very much and it seems fine. there are some slight bumps but nothing noticable from what i have just done from riding.

Also the point about un-wrapping is that I have taped electrical tape around the bar and grip about eight times so it doesnt look likely to come un-done.

Finally its NOT foam - its a more leathery texture so it is yet to be tested in uber warm summery weather, but i have faith in the buggers :).

Like i say ill let you know. but i dont think illl be going back to anything else like :)

Sounds like a mint idea to me, my richey wcs grips are serving me well for the time being but when they go i'll look in to this idea.

Just out of curiosity what are the monty/tryall foam grips like.

Ben (Y)

Rip like f**k, soak to much water/sweat and then start to move about :( which is not good.

Echo grips rock! cut the end off with a hot knife you can get your bar ends on. Push them down so they are so tight and you cant get any water in and put a zip tie on the end. They last ages, i have had mine on for about 2-3 months now. They are really gripy and nice and thin as well. I think the worst and best grips i have had are the monty foams they feel so nice and are so gripy, but riding without gloves rips them to shreds in about a day :S

It was weird... I bought a pair of Monty foam grips and X-Hydras at the same time, and they both lasted for about a year and a bit. They both wore out, and at a later date I repeated that order and got some Hydras and grips again. Both wore out in less than 4 hours. Weeeeeeeeeeeeird. Maybe Monty are screwing everyone now or something :P

Nah Cleanbikes were sound about it all. Barbara rules :)

There are grips very similar to SOYOs, but a tiny bit thicker with even rougher surface. Called Evertop. I think they are meant for road bikes, not sure where to get them from except to order them from Japan.

Last ages, if you ride with gloves you dont mess your hands up too bad. Still, like Dave said, its like holding onto a knife if you ride for a long time.