Computer Problem

Hobnobs

Righto, my brother bought some new ram to speed his pc up a bit. So in it goes happy happy. Boot it up, doesnt work. We discover he has a duff ram slot, not too bothered.

Put the ram in the 3rd slot and its all gravy, shows up at the beginning of the boot up as 768mb of ram.

We get to the log in screen, and choose his profile, it takes ageeeeees to do anything, and then comes up as some messages about activating windows (peice of shit).

We click ok, and it opens a box, which i presume would have something in, but as its a computer and nothing ever works, all that is in the box is two little icons which look like a file not found sort of thing.

Anyone got any idea at all why putting extra ram in will have done this? We tried without the new ram and it still does it.

Hmm, didnt have to do it on mine. But yeh, thats what i was guessing, problem is, the bit where you pu the code in doesnt appear:

We click ok, and it opens a box, which i presume would have something in, but as its a computer and nothing ever works, all that is in the box is two little icons which look like a file not found sort of thing.

I have a feeling that you have to put the serial code in. Everytime you change the hardware in your PC you have to put the XP serial number in.

I think that's right. :)

You don't have to do that for extra ram, it's just if you change CPU/Motherboard I think. So I don't know how you've managed to do that. Maybe you knocked something else when you were installing the ram?