George Best Just Died

Dr. Nick Riviera

Phil, you obviously don't like the idea of and so don't wish for the types of behaviour which are damaging to the rest of us. But at the same time you seem to argue against my idea with out any reason as to why it won't work. You seem more concerned with what to do after a crime has been commited. I find this irrational. Punishment, evidently, is far from being a preventative measure. It does not fully deter. I think it's time to look for better preventative measures. Everyone does something for a reason. When we understand the reason, we can develop a solution.

i'm sorry but to suggest that someone with a mental illness who wants to have sex with kids is going to walk into a doctors office and confess there feelings because society no longer hates them but understands them is far more irrational.

murderers have been studied for years and there is no way to stop the majority of them doing what they do. its an urge! the majority kill because they are mentally ill and in most cases have no grip on reality, how do you propose we prevent a person in this state from commiting the crime?

to suggest that you could put in place a preventitive measure to stop peadophelia(sp) is frankly laughable to be honest, after all the human brain can not be red nor controlled. if they want to do it they will. its just a matter of when!

in a perfect world your point would be a great idea but this is the real world so we shouldn't live under a rock now should we?

Edited by phil white

I think George Bests donated liver would have benefited someone who would actually be grateful for the gift and the second chance they ahd received, not set about like a maniac trying to kill that one off as well. The fact that he was also a wife beater, in my opinion, detracts greatly from the skill he had as a footballer. Not that it would have interested me in the first place.

Tell me what the real world is? Your perception of it? Do I need to share your perception of reality to truely experience "the real world"? I think that everyone perceives the world in a very different way based on the environment they've been exposed to. This includes their genetics. Accepting this idea, you can look for the elements in an environment that shape certain perceptions, like peadophillia and wife beating. I don't think you can assume that because we don't understand something yet we never will. That doesn't make sense to me. Because we haven't been able to cured aids yet means we never will? Because racism still exists after all this time means it always will? I don't agree to that line of thought.

The point is, if your attitude is just, "lock 'em up and throw away the key. I hate them" then nothing changes. As soon as punishment has to be used, it's already failed. We should be trying new approaches, without assumming they won't work without even trying. I'm not saying get rid of punishment, I'm just saying we need to look for something better and the potential for change only exists when you try something new.