Hope Trials/mono M4?

tom tom

im looking at getting a disk i dont care what anyone says i like them and im going to get one in case anyone starts with 'tom you shouldnt get a disk your maggies are fine' ect

but i was looking at the hope mono m4 and then people started talking about the hope trials disk. What is the difference between them and isnt the trials disk only 2 pot (works fine wouldnt mind one) and the m4 four pot which i smore powerful or is it something to do with locking the wheel and the m4 stops a moving wheel rather than locking a stationry one?

any help would be much appreciated and i have done a search before anyone comes out with it, and i could not find anything that compared the two straight off.

cheers tom tom

the important thing to remember with disk brakes is you dont get that much power difference to the number of pots the disk has

the mono trials brake has a larger piston than the standard mono mini and is designed to lock the brake

the mono mini and mono m4 ARE NOT designed to lock the brake, they were designed for use on free ride XC and DH bikes,

consider going down-hill with a front brake which locks if you breath on it - not a good plan

obviously any brake will lock if you squeeze it enough so - there you have the most common misconception with disks, more pots dont = more power.

more pots = better modulation, heat dispersal and a slight increase in power

the mono trials brake is twice as light as the m4, has a bigger dedicated piston - designed with Koxx for trials use, it will stop you better than an M4 in trials applications such as endos and the like

trust :P

Tom, the trials disk will be excelent, just since youve got a stock, make sure you get a 180mm, otherwse you will be underpowered.

Ive got a mono M4 on the front of mine, and i love it, but i wouldnt reccomend it for the rear, not enough 'bite' to it. however, the old m4 does have the nessesary bite, but is heavier than the trials disk.

Is all swings and roundabouts.

Oli

wouldnt say a 160 rotor is under powered from my experience anyway.

go for the mono trial it has a braided hose as standard which not only looks cool inreases the lever feel of the brake and gives it more bite (dont ask how)

trial rotor has larger holes to reduce heat build up.

mono m4 has long thin pads which can be a bitch to set up right, if the set up is wrong brake feels poor.