For The Drummers...

Dan6061

I'm after some new cymbals for my drum kit (CB) as the ones on my one are really thin and flexy, and just sound shite.

Looking about on eBay, I found thes

Do any of you know if they're any good?

Should I buy them at that price?

(Y)

Edited by Dan6061

Yeh those solar ones are OK, thats about it, not crap, not great.

I've also got a CB kit (which im selling if anybodys intrested) and I bought some Paiste 101 cymbals off ebay for £115, including crash, ride and hi hats. Then just bought a premier boom stand that also converts to a straight stand second hand (for the ride) and then just used the straight that came with the kit for the crash and just bought a new premier hi hat stand.

Some one please buy it, many upgrades CHEAP.

But yeh anyway, thats not much cheaper than what you would pay in the shops anyway.

Rob (Y)

No, that isnt a good deal. Solars, I unfortunately have the hihats and ride on my kit, sound absolutely wank, they really are the epitomy of crap cymbals. Especially the crash.

I have seen brand new sets of solars, with hihats ride and crash for £55 on ebay, and the crap quality stands that come with them will only be £20 each ones at best anyway, so they arent worth the money.

Cymbals and cheap dont go together that well though... hmm... talk to drummers in your area and try and get second hand stuff from them as drummers are often lovely people! And im now running a few fairly nice cymbals (Slightly cracked Zildjian A Custom for example) which I was given free... Try and get stuff that like as a top notch cymbal that is slightly buggered often sounds better than a cheap cymbal ever can.

Save for cymbals like mad as they are the bit that makes the differnence and are very expensive. Maybe a Sabian XS20 pack would be nice... around £180, and that includes hihats, 14" crash, 16"crash, 10" splash, 20" ride - a nice setup for the money.

You chose drumming, its an expensive hobby (Y)

By the way, just because a cymbal is from a good brand doesnt make it good - ie Sabian Solars are nothing like the rest of the range, hehe! Also some of the cheapy own brand pearl cymbals arent as bad as youd think, so its hard to tell! Zildjian ZBT an ZXT titaniums are also expensive and crap! So dont go brand, go by model.

Hope i've helped.

Ben

A nice set of Zildjian or Sabians and Yamaha stands and your kitted (no pun intened).

I'm using some Sabian Solars at the mo, they are ok but I may put the Zildjians back on.

While your at it, get some Vic Firth 'rock' sticks. I'm loving mine at the moment! You can get so much power behind them, its amazing. Fatter than B2s (Y)