New Echo Prices

Towler

whats the deal with the new frames? say i bought the GU mod, can i wack any old BB in it or do you have to get a fancy echo one?

same for the BB's if i got a fancy new BB would i need echo cranks/bolts or not?

just out of interest really.

I am pretty certain all the new frames will take any standard size BB, so yes your old one would fit aslong the axle is the correct length. The new Echo ISIS BB is still the same thread size as any other "normal BB" only the bearings are on the outside rather than internal.

Also the Echo BB is ISIS which is an international standard size of splines, so any ISIS cranks should fit, although you cant use a front freewheel with the new Echo BB.

Stan.

Edited by cultiv8ed stan

Rear hubs 120 for 20" & 26" seem like good prices.

Do they? For what?

Not having a dig, but have you or anyone you know tried one of these hubs? A sketchy part in your drivetrain is *never* a good thing, so laying down £120 for a new hub is a bit dodgy if they're completely unproven. Yeah yeah yeah, I'm sure they've been Deng-ified and tested by the finest monks in all the world and yak yak yak, but what does that mean? Not much... I'm still not entirely sure about them, especially judging from some of the cassette hubs in the BMX world at the moment...

bb shells and bb's are in standardised sizes. ie, you can get any bb for any frame as long as you can get the correct shell and axle widths. same goes for ISIS system. any cranks fit any bb axle. the only problem with echo bb's and they're outboard bearing cups is that you can't run a front freewheel, due to the cups stickin out from the frame too far. this seems a bit strange to me, as a lot of echo's prospective customers run front freewheels. odd to say the least (Y)

also, out of interest, could anyone shed any light on the exact benefits of outboard bearings in bbs?

just checked tarty bikes, n all the benefits are there. lookin swish.

smithy

Edited by guineasmithpig

yeh ok cheers guys, I knew all current BB's were a standard size, only varying in length, i was just concerned that mr.deng would try and completley own the market by making his frames only able to accept his 'bispoke' BB's and crank sets. Only because the prices were so cheap i thought there must be a catch.

But thinking about it, making an odd sized BB would be stupid cos it would only be useable in echo/zoo/gu etc frames.

and as far as i know the only major benefit of outboard bearings is that a larger bearing can be used meaning less pressure as it's spread over a large area?

anyway, i won't be buying a fancy bb, or coloured cranks, or anything else really, cos i ain't had any issues with my 'living on a shoestring' shimano. Just wanted to check.

bb shells and bb's are in standardised sizes. ie, you can get any bb for any frame as long as you can get the correct shell and axle widths. same goes for ISIS system. any cranks fit any bb axle. the only problem with echo bb's and they're outboard bearing cups is that you can't run a front freewheel, due to the cups stickin out from the frame too far. this seems a bit strange to me, as a lot of echo's prospective customers run front freewheels. odd to say the least (Y)

also, out of interest, could anyone shed any light on the exact benefits of outboard bearings in bbs?

just checked tarty bikes, n all the benefits are there. lookin swish.

smithy

Well about having it so there bbs cant take freewheels, is gonna make people either buy there echo hubs, a profile or a chris king hub and what seems to be cheapest, yep the echo one so people may buy the echo hub. Wired way of doing it but its asif there trying to make people buy it lol.

Whoa.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

116mm hub spacing? 6mm more than everyone else? Montys used to die from using 110mm hubs instead of 106mm hubs, so splaying the dropouts by 3mm each side to accomodate an Echo hub seems pretty mental?

Not to mention the 15mm wide axle? 5mm wider than most people's dropouts? Or is that the actual width of the "cap" of the allen bolt?

Hmm. I think I'd rather have 2 sets of 3 pawls, as opposed to 3 of 2, but there we go...

Not sold on this Echo hub what-so-ever, 'specially with it only being 32H (Y)

Oh, and £120...

Great that these prices have been reduced , and it was already well established that Tartybikes offer great service , so I was dissapionted not to see the chain tensioner that adorns this beauty :

gallery_3439_966_44915.jpg

I'm presuming that given that the rest of the componentry is Echo stuff , this tensioner would be among the new goodies stocked by Tartybikes . IS the tensioner Echo ? Do Tartybikes intend to stock this ?

i guess profile is on my list then, But its wired that they only have echo rims in 32h, oversiouly they are loosing alot of money only haveing them out in 32 because alot of people run 36h rear.

Saving money though too from only having to have them made in one way, I guess.

Either way, 116mm spacing? 15mm axles? (Y)

Yeah, that'd be fine. It'd fit perfectly, really.

Another few Echo hub questions:

How much are replacement drivers?

How long do the drivers last?

What about 18:13 using mod riders (Seem to be a lot of 'em using Pythons?)?

How long do the bearings last?

Many, many, many questions, yet everyone's gone from "WE ALL HATE DENG" to "We love Deng, he's f**king amazing, I want his kiddies", and assumes it'll all work out in the end or whatever.

Let's just remember it wouldn't be the first time a shit product had been launched (Y)

As people may say, why make a product if its not gonna work ? someone must know how good they are or what ever, why would tarty order a load in if they are crap and its gonna cause hassle ? who knows, I was thinking i could buy a echo hub then i could get a echo rim, but when i hear all this stuff about them i think na y bother, getting a hub just to get a certain rim, ill give that one a miss.

Mark I think you also need to remember that everything was once untested. The profile has only recently been regarded as 'tried and tested', the first person with one was taking a chance with this 'untested for trials' hub.

I'd say give it time, it may well be a profile killer at just over half the price with almost double the engagments it may even phase the king out... who knows...

ADAM: I wouldn't mind seeing inside of one of these. Any chance of some pictures of the pawl and ratchet mechanism Adam if you have one to hand?

I think the Tartybikes team using these, especially that power house DW... if it lasted with them HUGE gaps I think even Mark would be a believer in these.

I know everything was untested at one stage, but people seem to be all jumping for joy about these hubs whilst not really knowing anything about them at all. It just seems a bit sketchy to me, pretty much.

Oh, and they're only £35 cheaper than Profiles, so I guess they're not *that* much cheaper, plus there's a greater amount of Profile dealers you can get spares from, you can alter the gearing to suit, Profile's customer service in the UK is excellent, etc.

Saving money though too from only having to have them made in one way, I guess.

Either way, 116mm spacing? 15mm axles? :lol:

Only the internal part of the axle is 15mm, like the G-sport 20mm axle. (Y)

But the spacing seems a bit stupid. :D (I'm waiting for Adam to come along and show us why it's good. :lol:

Only the internal part of the axle is 15mm, like the G-sport 20mm axle. :lol:

But the spacing seems a bit stupid. :D (I'm waiting for Adam to come along and show us why it's good. :lol:

That makes more sense. I don't think that deng would create an entirely new size for his range. Im guessing he was expecting to annoy people if he did, so obviously he stuck to the norm. That still doesn't explain the 116 spacing... (N)

tell you what...

everyone send me 3quid , ill buy one, test it and let you all know my findings - ill even pay for my own wheelbuild..

lol :P if I was a fool I'd do that

Whats your address (Y) (N)

ADAM: I wouldn't mind seeing inside of one of these. Any chance of some pictures of the pawl and ratchet mechanism Adam if you have one to hand?

I totaly agree Adam get some pictures of ths insides of the rear hub's sure lot's of people would be very intrested to see what it look's like. As on a hope bulb they died so easy due to the teeth not being very deep so 72egp's what is that going to look like? Same with profiles there only 48egp on a 4 pawl system so wack one open Adam or Dave let's have a gander (Y)

Is the new 10% discount off those prices given for the parts or are the prices on tarty already including the discount :lol: think i might try the new zoo instead of zona :lol:

Im guessing the prices on the site are the standard ones without discount (Y)

I totaly agree Adam get some pictures of ths insides of the rear hub's sure lot's of people would be very intrested to see what it look's like. As on a hope bulb they died so easy due to the teeth not being very deep so 72egp's what is that going to look like? Same with profiles there only 48egp on a 4 pawl system so wack one open Adam or Dave let's have a gander :blink:

The pawls are 12mm wide and deeper wide, where are many hubs are only 4mm wide, this is spreading the load out a lot more, due to the ratchet being larger than many other 36 ratchet hubs this allows the ratchet to be deeper giving a much better fit.

Echo have messed about with materials and are using a material Hitatchi have developed, tests have been made on all the hubs on the market for the pawls and ratchet for their strength and duability and tests show the material echo are using is a lot better.

On paper it sounds very promising, many riders in china are using them now without problems, CLS is using his one.

Phil.