Footwear

Luke Drewery

Shoes for riding in  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Trials boots

• Skate shoes

Thats what Im worried about, I wont grow out of them as although I am 15 I hope I dont go past size 13! So it depends on their durability really. What interests me the most is that skate shoes are heavy and bulky whilst trials boots are nice and light and flexible.

only some skate shoes are bulky and heavy (DC's) a lot of skateshoes now are quite light and un-bulky (???) - look at BMX shoes instead of skateshoes, because most skateshoes have a stiff sole. Etnies, Vans, Little Devil and Emerica do good shoes for riding in.

I am currently wearing some £16 skate style shoes i got from target in america and they are awesome.

oh and YIK shoes are grippy, but shite

i've always used skate shoes for riding because they are so comfortable and they give you a suprising amount of ankle support to due to all the padding

i like the look of the new nike riding shoes, kinda like dunks but with better soles and they look a little tougher, in need of some new riding shoes so i reckon it'll be the nikes

teem05-navywhite-lg.jpg

Had these Orchid Teems before, but I wore them out :$ In fairness, I wore them for:

Playing in gigs

Going to school

At work

Riding BMX

Riding trials

Going plces

Doing anything

All for £50-55, I think. Unlike pixie boots, which you can only use for riding? And the Teems still lasted ages...

lurker05-black-white-lg.jpg

Got these now though :ermm: So amazingly grippy it's unreal. 'cos they're BMX-designed shoes, the soles stick super well to flat pedals, and they've just got a great sole on them basically. Plus, they look the shit (Y)

If you're going for skate-shoes, definitely check out the Orchid range...

Dont get bloody trials shoes, there a waste of money!

Just wear trainers and be done with it, stop fannying about and ride >_<

I ride every day unless its raining! Thats why Im looking into trials shoes because although they are expensive I am on my bike a lot and so they will get a lot of use. I figure I may as well invest in some shoes designed FOR trials, not skateborading or BMXing. (Y)

I'm in some £25 suede Vans at the moment, seem to work well.

The sole has the same herringbone effect the Try-All's have, but with a slightly thicker/more durable outsole.

Never tried Pixie Boots, seem alright but can't bring myself to spend £80 on something that has the same effect as £25.

riding in some 30 quid duffs i bought in january, that i wear for all the scrubby jobs around the house, and then for riding there super comfy, really well mounlded to your feet Also got another pair of duffs(that i rode in once, but i didnt want to but they where still very nice for riding) in general you cant got wrong with going to your local freespirit/ckate shop, and seeing whats on offer, the chaeper the better, the'll just wear out.

Or a pair of plympsole based shoes (such as the dunlop shoes, converse etc) are ace for riding in, i wear them acosionally, really nice sole, fit well, and are very thin on the sides. and you dont look a full on gemp.

Cheers

Tom

I figure I may as well invest in some shoes designed FOR trials, not skateborading or BMXing. (Y)

I can understand the skateboarding thing, 'cos the soles are designed differently, but BMXing? WTF is wrong with BMX shoes? They're even designed to grip pedals, provide good support for your sole, etc.

Oh wait, they don't look completely f**king stupid. My mistake >_<

I bought some Etnies for riding in, but the soles are noticeably more slippery than all my other shoes >_< They are durable though, but I'm currently riding in a pair of Next shoes I bought in a sale intended as shoes for work. The soles on them are much softer and so the grip is top notch. Plus they're slimline and lighter compared to my Etines.

nextshoes.jpg

I'm at the age where I don't have to worry about wearing the wrong llooking shoes out riding, which is fortunate!

Steve

You're also at the age though where you don't have to worry about splashing out £50+ on a pair of shoes though? Whereas, say, for me, that's quite a lot of money. Therefore, I want shoes I can wear for anything. I wouldn't have a huge grudge against riding in the "trials" shoes, but I wouldn't want to, say, wear them down the pub, to work, or basically anywhere off-bike. Therefore, for me, it does come down to looks.

I'd steer clear of Etnies, personally. In that the sole of my shoes came off within 3 weeks of buying it ^_^

I'd steer clear of Etnies, personally. In that the sole of my shoes came off within 3 weeks of buying it ^_^

Riding a bike? Or doing nothing? Because I've had mine for about a year now, skating in them etc, and they are still fine, bar the fact I took the laces out so I could use them as slippers :)

Riding a bike? Or doing nothing? Because I've had mine for about a year now, skating in them etc, and they are still fine, bar the fact I took the laces out so I could use them as slippers ^_^

yeah what did you do to them mark? i had my callicuts for around 9/10 months and wore them for riding/work/going out/pretty much everything

My best shoes for riding are some Puma trainers that I bought for £20 from TK Maxx. Nice and grippy, pretty thin sole and they don't look completely stupid. What more could you want?

Converse are pretty good too (gripwise), but there's a complete lack of padding on the inside of your ankle, so

a) They hurt when you catch your ankle (I seem to do it all the time)

b) They rip on the sides really easily sad.gif