Freshproducts Tensioner

James_Porter

righty ho, i have been using the freshproducts tensioner since the nbr comp, when ever that was, just over a month? so i think its time for a review

fresh gave me the tensioner to test and i wasnt to sure about how it would work it not being sprung blah blah but i gave it a go before i bitched, i got the one with the funbolt styleeeeeeeee hole to fit fun bolts... duhhhh.

anyways, i put it on my echo control 05 and i had some troubles what with the gay drop out shaped thing with it sticking out into the drop outs (control 05 owners will know what im on about) but its nothing that a good old angle grinder cant sort and it works fine now without any troubles.

i side hop to my mech side and so i have had troubles with snapping hangers. i have been through around 20 in the last 5 months, which is a forking load and selectbikes werent having it (N) . but the freshproducts bolts onto the funbolts or q/r which is the main fixing point and then with a small m4 bolt and cool crazy nut thing it bolts onto the normal hanger hole that you fix the mech to normally.

i run mine with the m4 bolt pretty much loose, and hardly holding it because i bent the "arm" of the tensioner through side hopping when i had it done up. this is cause it wasnt just "slidding up" when i landed on it with my 12 stone because it is such a tight hold and so it was bending. so i thought i would try it with it loose and it seems to have sorted the problem. even though i run it loose it doesnt move at all when riding and i havent had to mess about with it at all through a ride unless i actually really do land on it.

when i do miss a side hop i land on the tensioner everytime, now as you can guess with a normal mech hangers WILL snap, and i had this problem all the basterd time and it was really starting to peeeeee me off and i thought it was holding my sidehopping back as i was allways worried about landing on it. but since i have had the fresh tensioner i havent snapped a hanger, infact the hanger i have got on now i have had since i have been using the fresh tensioner and it is still perfectly straight.

all that happens when i land on it is it moves up and a quick adjustment with a 8mm allen key and its fine yet again.

all i can say is, i really dont think there is a tensioner that comes close to the fresh one, they all seem to break and are hastle and arent cheap. but for £28 you got a quality bit of kit, that really does work just as good as a standard mech but doesnt have a spring.

if you side hop to the mech side and have problems with snapping hangers, dont think twice about getting one, i COULDNT go back to a mech now, its just taken the hastle of breaking hangers away.

even if you dont and want a tensioner, dont think of anything else other than the fresh one, its made really well with quality material, weighs feck all, and if you do have troubles with it, then im sure fresh will be more than welcome to sort it our for you.

if the review doesnt make much sence sorry, im rather tired, i will sort it out tomorrow if its wank.

thanks james :$

oh visit, www.freshproducts.co.uk for ordering and to check out the other products they do.

i will have the lever on soon, when i get a 04 lever sorted and so will have something to say about that soon :lol:

gallery_6682_798_8623.jpg

Edited by James_Porter

Its a dam nice tensioner, but fat mike is the only owner of the most pimpin fresh products tensioner in the uk! (N) im very tempted myself as my hanger has been bent back straight so many times its probly going to snap soon, i did have a dmr tension seeker simple, but that was a pile o sh*te. Bolts kept on slipping and there was never any solid tension on the chain. fresh products tensioner :$ :lol:

Oh, ok then, since you all asked so nicely!

img6322small5yb.jpg

img6318small0sb.jpg

I was tempted to write a review for mine, but I didn't - as Arron didn't give me mine free! However, if I did, it really would've been the same as Porter's (except better written & punctuated (Y)). It really is an awesome tensioner. (N) (Y)

Mike.

yer these tensioners are awesome.

Ive had several prototypes of the lever now, improving the design on each one and getting rid of the flaws, they are really coming on now. Hopefully they will be ready around christmas time, there was a big delay due to finding the best way to manufacture them without them costing a fortune.

• 3 weeks later...