Photo Tips

F-Stop Junkie

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few questions for anyone who uses manual modes. What is a good f-stop/aperture/shutter speed for:

1) Riding in dim light, preferably without using a flash

2) Riding in normal light

3) Landscapes on a sunny day

Also, I want a digital camera. I think I want a Fuji s5600, but I've heard mixed reviews about it. The other options in the price range seem to be a Panasonic FZ5, Sony H1, and the Canon S2. I think the Canon is a bit too expensive, although perhaps it will come down in price after Christmas. I had a play with the Panasonic and that seemed a little bit small and fragile, the Fuji was more comfortable. I have not seen a Sony, any opinions on that? Any other suggestions? Mainly gonna be used for taking pics of riding (good quality low-light pictures important), and hopefully snowboarding if I ever manage to get away this year (Snowboarding pictures are hard - they alway look far too white and washed out when I take them).

1) Riding in dim light, preferably without using a flash

2) Riding in normal light

3) Landscapes on a sunny day

1) In dim light you want to be using flash ideally but if it's a serious no no then you want the apature right open, at around f3.2 so you get the most amount of light in while the shutters open. Dont forget the ISO number, normally ranges from about 6-3200 but on most digi cams it'll more likely be 64-400. The lower the light the higher number you want to be using, but the higher the number, the more noise.

Shutter speed, well as you want to be getting as much light in as poss the slowest you can get away with without blurryness from handshake/rider movement is between 1/80th and 1/125.

Ideally though in low light you want to be using flash, although on some cams you can dampen the power of the flash down, if not though a peice of masking tape does fine.

2) Normal daylight you want a low iso number (about 100), shutter speed quite fast...about 1/320, around that sorta mark and apature about f5 or so. The best way to learn is to experiment and also most cameras have an in-built light metre, a hand held one is better because the cameras one mixes it up measuring from midtones giving an average rather than something more accurate but unless you wanna be all fancie then the inbuilt one is fine. Normally found in the viewfinder.

3) Landscapes, well it depends I suppose on what you want to create. If you want a sunny landscape with movement in the trees then you'll need a tripod, a slow shutter speed, low iso and a high apature, like F8 +

Because theres alot of light available and you want to create movement then you need to make the hole in the lens(apature) as small as poss so the light dosent overpower and causing the photo to overexpose.

If you dont want movement then still you'll need something like F8, it really depends on how it looks too you.

If your including the sun in this photo, then you want to be able too see the land instead of just the sun. You can expose 2 photos, one for the sky and one for the ground and merge together in photoshop but if you cant be assed with that then just have quite a slow shutter and a high apature.

Sorry if some of thats not completly correct, im tired. lol

Anyway hope thats helped, the best way to learn is to experiment.

Cheers

Rob (Y):)

Yeah. The price is the only sorta problem, I guess. Second hand would be nice.

Turns out my Mum's sorta got the non-D version of the EOS350, I think... Well, it's a Canon EOS but I'm not 100% sure which one it is, but it seems to be mid-range, almost. Pretty rinky-dink anyway :)

I got shouted at and bashed for saying im getting of those. :(

If your talking about me saying that then bloody right you shouldnt of got one, and you were a good soilder for listening. Good camera dosent mean good photos unless you know what your doing. Which at the time, you didn't. :P

It's like trials, build up from the bottom. If someone that hasnt had a proper camera before, not a digital compact, and then go buy a dslr is wasting money and time. Hand it to them and their not gonna have a fecking clue what there doing. Anyway thats my advice.

Arn't you happy now with your lovely Fuji?? Saved a bit of cash too ;)

Rob (Y)