When Doing A Static Hop....

nafan

I have recently been attempting static hopping to back wheel with my front wheel on the obstacle itself...

Do you pedal kick when doing it as I cannot do it without...

By the way I cannot do it with either but I was wondering whether you are meant to...

Thanks lads... :( :) Great help... :ermm:

Edited by nafan

Oh dear.... lol

It's just learning it would really improve my riding, because then I would be able to get onto rails etc. easier... and make bigger runs on some local walls.... :( :)

If anyone else could help, please feel free to... :ermm: :) :D

i am shitty at these too, sometimes i nail it, most times i don't.

i think it's about the same level of difficulty either way you do it, so just pick which one suite your style.

if you hold the brake on, then the action is more of a jump+scoop, so more of a brute force effort.

if you let the brake off, it lets your bike flex a little more, so it's more of a bounce+placement, so more elegant and technical (imo).

so if you like power moves, leave the brake on, but if you are more of a 'hoppy hoppy' rider, it might be easier with it off.

if you choose to leave the brake off, don't physically try and kick the pedal, just concentrate on jumping and the kick will happen naturally. if you try to hard on getting a kick in your just gonna keep going into the wall, rather than up alongside it. :(

I did have a look before I posted this thread, but nothing unfortunately...

I may have to start a new topic up soon about what level people are at, and what tricks they can do, records and stuff.... un less someone else wants to 'cos I can't really be bothered...

oh and just remembered,

like my mate carl is always reminding me, get the bike as parallel to the wall as possible, that way the rear wheel has to travel less distance. and also just before you jump, lean towards the wall, that way the bike will natually pop up and over the wall, meaning you don't have to physically shove it over. :(

ok, everyone MUST learn this move its my favorite,, I absolutly LOVE it!!!

its real handy on natural and comp stuff to.. and it can go pretty big on rails, ect.. on street..

ok so get your front wheel up there however you like.. get sorted,, then with out any pedaling just jump your body up and pull your bike up,, its just brite force,, there is no pedaling technique at all.. instead the technique is all in the body preloading and trying to get balanced with your front wheel so high,,make sure you twist you biek so your back pedal side is to the obsticle..

GO FOR IT !!!

the move can be done sideways,, and landed like a tucked up sidehop as well.

setting up

gallery_614_1110_56059.jpg

go go go !

gallery_614_1110_41966.jpg

i used to pedal back in the day,, but it really is impossible on higher things. you may find that some objects are too small to do without pedaling, and you nose dive on landing, just go bigger !

hope this helps..

iolo .

I find it depends on the surface as to weather i kick or not. If it is nice and smooth, then i will put a little kick in, if however it is bumpy, or there is an edge which the back wheel will go onto i'll place the back wheel on the point of it to give some extra spring rather than using a kick.

There is no "proper" way to do it, its just whatever works for you.

Lean over the front of the bike, and push down on the bars before you hop up the wall, this will flex your forks/ front tire, giving you abit more bounce, and just as you do so, let the bike lean towards the wall slightly, it just makes it easier to land on top. Also, if you angle the bike so that you have your front foot on the side of the bike away from the wall, you can get closer... hard to explain but it helps...

just practice :(

for high things where your more vertical you need to just use strength but when you like more horizontal so your backwheel is far away from the object use a pedal kick but make sure u lean right over the front and then push your bike infront of you, dont just lean back and pedal kick or it wont work

After IOLO Post pictures of this move your on about i know what you're on about now lol. I use use force as i cant kick at all. I just get close to the wall as my weaker foot can go to then preload and lift bike just as IOLO says.

After IOLO Post pictures of this move your on about i know what you're on about now lol

yeah most people call them wheelswaps,, and a few including me call them pigions..

either will do.. JUST gotta love this trick !!

iolo

Hi there,

Re "I did have a look before I posted this thread, but nothing unfortunately..."

I found it under "climbing" -> from a "static" balanced position...

http://www.trashzen.com/climbing4.html

Trashzen instructions suggest it's a brakes locked throughout kind of move.

Yeah,

Was about to indicate that page.

I found out that you really don't pedal at all, especially in natural trials, where kicking the pedals will only throw you over the bars :'( (if the rear whee is stuck in an angle or a hole).

Then in urban settings, if the obstacle is low and the ground all flat, you can boost it with a kick in the pedals, but that would be more like a pedal hop then. :D

Then, there are all the combinations between static hop and pedal hop for all sorts of situations.

hope it's not confusing... ;)