Engineering?

Caleb

Right,

After leaving it a bit late for what i want to do next year i'm kinda left in the shit i really aiain'ture what i want to do when i'm older, in secondary school i studied engineering and business as my non ccompulsorysubjects.

I did really enjoy engineering and have looked through many of the sectors of it and at their job descriptions and employee needs etc and ddon'tknow if i would be clever enough.

II'vebeen working at halfords tthroughoutthe hholidaysbut now there giving me pointless shifts and i cant stay on there for ever anyway.

i would love to travel around a bit if possible in engineering if i could get a place just not for stupid amounts of time, any rreccomendations

The one that mainly interested me was craft engineer/cnc machinist.

Many of the others seemed too high responsibility really but could be ppossiblygood at them with training.

BBasicallywhat i'm asking is

: For all you engineers what do you do what training did you need and how you finding it?

Would you reccomend anything to me?

and any other people with satisfactory jobs bit of info please?

Just to clear up i enjoyed engineering and following instructions practically and on the design programmes to consruct images/products/sketches.

i got 2Bs 6 C's and a d for my gcse's if that helps.

Please help me lol, I've been to a career advisor and they reccomended college which i might study craft engineering full time and then have like another year or two to get an apprenticeship and will have a skill behind me.

I was also looking at construction and other things but they seem much to popular to get into, e.g police, plumbing and electrician etc.

So just any suggestions or reccomendations would be nice, will be much appreciated (Y)

have you thought about going to college andd doing some kind of manufacturing /engineering degree?

it would give you time to think about what you want to do and will give you extra qualifications (Y)

Yeah i liked that idea and should be able to get in ive be told so will probably end up going for that

Become an Engineer.

Oh really never thought of that !!

what type? and didnt you have an interviewfor engineering or somethingt a while back?

is that what youre studying at college for now?

A-ha, didn't realise you'd only just done GCSEs. In that case, I'd recommend doing A-levels. They're pretty straightforward, there's a huge variety of subjects, it's fun to do, and they're useful for getting into uni/other qualifications/general jobs (A's > O's), and it's some good thinking time whilst still getting shit done and moving forwards. I held down two jobs, a hectic riding schedule and having fun whilst still going to school and came away with ABCD, so it can't be that hard (Y)

what type? and didnt you have an interviewfor engineering or somethingt a while back?

is that what youre studying at college for now?

Nah, I was going to become an engineer, but when I went for the interview it turned out I was going to be a Mechanic but at a factory instead of working on cars (Y) So I thought fob that off, and I'm doing a Forensic Science course now. I'd say the complete opposite of Mark, and try and do a course at college in Engineering. But if you do some Unis may think that as a qualification that the course would be better to get on an Engineering degree but worse for everything else. Whereas if you did A Levels and you changed your mind you'd have a much easier time getting on a different course.

My dads an engineer to get to his postion he had to get a 2.1 degree in it, however the ford at dunton offers many job opportunitys, one of his freinds got transfered to auz for 3yrs so he can surf mounation board, he get free accomation e.t.c. so might be worth looking into GOOD LUCK! (they may take apretiships i dont know)

It depends if you want to be a Mechanic or an engineer....

These days 'engineers' are infact as MrMonkey said actually machine mechanics.

If you want to do engineering.. ie the design and manufacturing side of things, not hitting them with a hammer etc. you will most likely need to do A-levels and Degree etc.

If you want to be able to weld, weald a spanner properly and actually become a pretty useful person and I guess potentially earn lots of money (plumbers, mechanics and electrictians etc.) I would go to collage and do a relevant HNC or GNVQ type thingy....

CCaleb IIs YYour KKey BBoard PPissed OOr SSommet.

Youve had at least 2 engineering jobs come in the mail and you ignored them.

One at the pleasure beach as well which wuold be ace.

Id say go for that and try despritley to get into college.

Oh and before you sack halfords in nick me some dvd's (Y)

I think it's important to make a distinction between an 'Engineer' and an 'engineer'. These days, the bloke that fixes your washing maching calls himself an 'engineer', but to be a proper 'Engineer' takes 3-4 years of university degree then possibly 3 years of studying/working at a company to become a 'Chartered Engineer'. Basically, at the top level you have to study for as long to become an engineer as a doctor. In france, you even get a title after your name in the same way as a doctor does here.

Basically, all I'm saying is be careful when you're applying for jobs described as 'engineering' - you could end up fixing washing machine for the rest of your life :(

I reckon your best bet is to take yourself to college and do maths, physics, dt or GNVQs (can you still do them??) in engineering-related subjects. From there, see how it goes and look into applying to do a BEng at uni - it'll be well worth the extra few years as a poor student!

^^^^ thats a very good point that i think some TF users dont really grasp or so it seems

engineering is really just problem solving in the end... if you make thins and work in someoned factory/workshop ypu'll most likely be working for an engineer but not be one yourself.... and therefore most likely lose a good cut of the money.

If you feel you can do it, go to university for the particular profession because its an incredibly competitive business... 5 people have been told to leave my course and were told that they just dont have what it takes.... and these were very intelligent people! :(

oli

by the way i scrapped A levels and did an AVCE in engineering.. managed to get into a 320 ucas point requirement university degree with 120 ucas point purely because I had a specific knowledge of engineering.

If you're not sure, then this might help: The two best engineers on our course at uni left school at sixteen and did a modern apprenticeship which got them a HND or HNC (or both, can't remember exactly) but they decided after four years or so that the job wasn't taking them where they wanted to be in life. They applied to Loughborough and got in on the back of their practical qualifications. They're both currently on a first average, and despite being a couple of years older than most of us, fit in really well, though their capacity for booze probably helps in this. So the basic message is don't worry - you can change tracks if you feel that you've picked the wrong one, and if you go the way they did then you'll have a much better grounding in the subject than I do after doing Maths, Physics and DT at 6th form.

Andy

P.S. Best of luck with making your choice - either will get you into a nice, lucrative and well respected job eventually. Or you could even train up to be an engineer, and use that qualification as a proof of your intelligence to get pretty much any job that a media studies student hasn't a hope of getting (so you're probably going to be unable to get a career at McD's cos they'll all have gone).

I think it's important to make a distinction between an 'Engineer' and an 'engineer'. These days, the bloke that fixes your washing maching calls himself an 'engineer', but to be a proper 'Engineer' takes 3-4 years of university degree then possibly 3 years of studying/working at a company to become a 'Chartered Engineer'. Basically, at the top level you have to study for as long to become an engineer as a doctor. In france, you even get a title after your name in the same way as a doctor does here.

Basically, all I'm saying is be careful when you're applying for jobs described as 'engineering' - you could end up fixing washing machine for the rest of your life  :(

I reckon your best bet is to take yourself to college and do maths, physics, dt or GNVQs  (can you still do them??) in engineering-related subjects. From there, see how it goes and look into applying to do a BEng at uni - it'll be well worth the extra few years as a poor student!

You do here too don't you?, My dad has Ceng on his business cards

You do here too don't you?, My dad has Ceng on his business cards

You do indeed get that here, but you get letters after your name for any degree or professional qualification. This is an actual title i.e. Dr Drew Berridge. So if I was a chartered engineer in france everyone would have to call me "Drew Berridge Ingénieur" - cool huh?

Edited by Drew

You do indeed get that here, but you get letters after your name for any degree or professional qualification. This is an actual title i.e. Dr Drew Berridge. So if I was a chartered engineer in france everyone would have to call me "Drew Berridge Ingénieur" - cool huh?

oooo very cool, I'm going to be merely Peter Shaw BA/h :P Might have to collect a few more :( Oh and its defo chartered engineer not civil not sure which one that is though.

Pete

There are a number of different things you can have after your name if you are an engineer. The following are the ones i can think of off the top of my head so there may be some others...

B.Eng = Batchelor of engineering (i.e you have a batchelor's degree in an engineering subject)

M.Eng = Master of engineering (i.e you have a master's degree in an engineering subject)

C.Eng = Chartered engineer (requires an "appropriate" degree and around four years of industrial training, and is generally regarded as the top level for engineers)

I.Eng = Incorporated engineer (similar to chartered in that it requires a degree and a certain amount of training but doesn't have the same standards and as such is seen to not be as good)

The practical side of engineering, like machining and fixing cars etc is much more obtainable through college, a degree won't really teach you this. If however, you want to be the guy that designs all these bits (bit of a limited view I know...) then a degree is really what you need to be aiming for.