Loud Music?

Davetrials

Damage to your ears is cumulative. Every time you get ringing in your ears after listening to music, you've slightly lowered the range you can hear, as the sensitive 'hairs' in your ears get broken. They never grow back.

It's not exactly great for you, especially as with headphones the sound is delivered directly to your ear.

Why listen to it so loud anyway?

i heard of a girl who gradually went deaf as a result of listening to her cd player too loud (with ear phones).

It wasn't instant damage, is was gradual, and they put it down to playing really loud music for a long time using ear plug type ear phones.

If however you are just listening though speakers the worse you can get would be severe ringin in you ears (tinnitus)

Think of all the rock musicians who listened to super loud music for years, i'm sure most will suffer from tinnitus but they ain't deaf.

i heard of a girl who gradually went deaf as a result of listening to her cd player too loud (with ear phones).

It wasn't instant damage, is was gradual, and they put it down to playing really loud music for a long time using ear plug type ear phones.

If however you are just listening though speakers the worse you can get would be severe ringin in you ears (tinnitus)

Think of all the rock musicians who listened to super loud music for years, i'm sure most will suffer from tinnitus but they ain't deaf.

Speaking as someone who has tinnitus, it still sucks balls to have it, so it'd be 10x better not to have to hear "eeeeeeeeee" constantly since you were 2 or 3. It's not fun. Equally, you lose the range of hearing you "could" have had, and you also lose clarity of sound, so it's best not to get yourself into that situation anyway...

yeh i respect that, dunno if my post came across as "oh well its only tinnitus" didn't mean to.

I deffinatly have a mild case of it but it's not obtrusive or anything, i only notice it when i'm on my own.

I bet 90% of people have it in some form or the other.

My ears are shitty anyway, i can never hear what people are saying and constantly mistake words people say for completely different ones.

yeh i respect that, dunno if my post came across as "oh well its only tinnitus" didn't mean to.

I deffinatly have a mild case of it but it's not obtrusive or anything, i only notice it when i'm on my own.

I bet 90% of people have it in some form or the other.

My ears are shitty anyway, i can never hear what people are saying and constantly mistake words people say for completely different ones.

I went totally deaf in my right ear at one point, but it was just a build up of crap and wax and stuff in my ear. Had them 'syringed' (no syringe involved, but there used to be) and it made my hearing waaaaaaay good. It makes a huge difference, maybe worth thinking about having? Even though I nearly crapped my pants riding away from the doctors 'cos my CRM's on the front sounded a trillion times louder...

Does this also hapen with those ear phones that dont actually go into your ears?

If the music is loud, you're still screwed. Loud noise of any kind is bad, so if it's loud it'll damage it anyway. I prefer the larger ones just as a personal preference thing, but I'd imagine they're pretty much on a par with the in-ear ones.

The RNID regards 80 decibels as the level at which hearing is threatened - 20 less than a pneumatic drill

Some MP3 players can reach 105 decibels. EU iPods have a sound limiter to comply with noise safety levels, however sometimes users hack through this in order to listen to it louder.

Noise levels

A quiet room at night - 20 decibels

An ordinary spoken conversation - 60 decibels

A busy street - 70 decibels

A pneumatic drill - 100 decibels

Some personal music players (at high volume) - 105 decibels

Aircraft taking off - 110 decibels

Many people don't think twice about getting their eyes examined on a regular basis, readily purchasing glasses or contact lenses if necessary, and yet neglecting to take care of their ears. While hearing loss might not be as noticeable as sight degeneration in the earliest stages, the long-term damage can be more severe if left unchecked. What's more, many people don't realize that their increasing communication problems are caused by their own inability to clearly understand others, leading to misdirected irritability, anger and frustration.

Who gets tinnitus?

Experiences of tinnitus are very common in all age groups, especially following exposure to loud noise, however, it is unusual for it to be a major problem. There is a widely held misconception that tinnitus is confined to the elderly, but various studies have shown that it can occur at any age, even quite young children. Mild tinnitus is common - about 10 per cent of the population have it all the time and, in up to one per cent of adults, this may affect the quality of their life.

Or you can take better appriciation of the music when its louder. Thats my reason for having it louder anyways

Is your appreciation worth damaged ears, and a battery that runs down faster? Besides if you feel the need to play it louder fiddle with the EQ instead, will probably have it sounding better.

Joe

Dunno if it's the same with headphones (mine are crap), but with a decent setup (ie separates) louder = better. More power = speakers move better and you can hear the nice little bits in music better. Either that or I'm slightly deaf :blink: But either way, with MP3 players, the quality is pretty shit anyway (although iPods aren't bad), so running it stupidly loud doesn't help anyone.

I do like to have music loud but not at the max, it just pisses me off cus its so loud and gets kinda distorted!

I see what you mean about appreciating it more when its louder, espically if you get a proper good song on and you feel like singing your ass off but then you'd sound like a twat :">

I disagree with the music quality comment, when listening to stuff on my ipod I find that you hear lil instruments and notes that you dont normally hear through speakers. I've got a stacked system, good amp speakers etc but I still dont really hear them as well, maybe it's cus with an mp3 player thats all your can hear so you take more notice of it maybe.

Rob :blink:

That's why I take frequency reducing ear plugs with me to gigs, you can still hear your mates talking, and the music, you just won't have ringing ears in the morning. All worth the £10 over a pair of crappy foam ones which cut all the highs.

I have the limiter on my iPod removed, but I also standardise my music, so it al plays at the same level, which is generally 20db lower than normal, so I dont blow my face off listening it to from my computer. Changing artist always meant I had to watch the speakers, so I could turn them down/up if a new artist came on. (Y)

Now I have a mighty fine set of Radar. (Y)

Edited by Haz