Tft Monitor

haydon_peter

I currently have a 17" CTX cheap and cheerful monitor and I want to upgrade to a 17" (or 19" if possible with the budget) TFT monitor for this PC.

I think a £200ish budget is realistic but im sure that could be stretched higher if need be.

I bought Custom PC magazine yesterday (Geek haha) and this month it had a load of nice free stuff on a CD which made it more worth while, well er... anyway, they had a review of 15 different TFT's and suggested the best in test 17" monitor was this at about £220.

Anyone else got any other recomendations? The only place I REFUSE to buy from is scan[scam] 'cos they are wankers. I do not require speakers in the monitor as they would be useless and unused due to my already nice sound system.

What is all this 4ms/8ms/16ms ect... responce time? I am guessing the lower the ms is, the better the monitor is. I also dont want a dim display. Some TFT's I have seen appear to be dim/dark when looking at them, although I dont know how I will find this out till I have bought the monitor.

Once this is sorted all I will need to do is replace my 9600 graphics card with something a bit newer but I think I will leave that for the time being...

Help away people :(

Thanks in advance,

Tic

For £200 checkout the 17" 8ms Iiyama screens.

Im currently waiting for the £250 19" 4ms Samsung 930BF to become in stock at savastore.

Checkout the 17" version of the above.

Also make sure you get one with DVI.

Edit: There isnt much advantage of a 19" over a 17" afterall they still both only do 1280xXXX

Got me self a 17" LG Flatron L1715S

had it for well over a year and it's been sweet. No dead pixels, nice, bright, crystal clear display even got permanant silver marker on it, rubbed it off quite harshly and you can't even tell it happened.

Cost me about £200 so should be able to get one uber cheap nowadays. :(

Just an idea. (hope i haven't missed the point completely with my skim reading)

LOOK I FOUND A LINK FOR YOU :(

Edited by RicH_87

2/8/16ms is the time it takes 1 pixel to go from black to white to black again. I know this because I'm looking at 17" TFT monitors aswell, and read Custom PC magazine also. :">

Anybody got any recomendations for a DVI TFT monitor, sub £200?

For £200 checkout the 17" 8ms Iiyama screens.

Im currently waiting for the £250 19" 4ms Samsung 930BF to become in stock at savastore. 

Checkout the 17" version of the above.

Also make sure you get one with DVI.

Edit: There isnt much advantage of a 19" over a 17" afterall they still both only do 1280xXXX

CRT for the win. Sorry I don't know much about TFT, but I've heard they're bad for gaming and have an optimum resolution, so I'll stick with the big burly CRTs. :o  :blink:

Thanks for the opinion Monkey, but its a fact that the new ranges of tfts are good for gaming. Most people who game can push out 1280x1024 anyway from their hardware with ease... get a 19" monitor with 16ms or less response. That way when you play games the image will be bigger, but you wont need crazy hardware to power a super high res (ie 20" at 1600x1200) You dont need the crazy viewsonic 4ms monitors so dont pay over the odds for one - the average 16/8ms ones are fine.

i personally prefer crt's for gaming and hense why i use a 17" Dell CRT for my work/gaming PC.

For a tft, i'd always go with Iiyama, our uni has a whole bunch of them in the computer labs and they are seriously nice. One of my mates also bought one and the picture quality is excellent, its about the closest ive seen out of any tft to being the same as a crt.

i personally prefer crt's for gaming and hense why i use a 17" Dell CRT for my work/gaming PC.

For a tft, i'd always go with Iiyama, our uni has a whole bunch of them in the computer labs and they are seriously nice.  One of my mates also bought one and the picture quality is excellent, its about the closest ive seen out of any tft to being the same as a crt.

I have to ditch this CRT!

It is massive and takes up all my desk space.

And to top things of the stupid thing has started whining like a whore (a high pitched squeal untill I play with the power connector on the back).

When I get round to purchasing I will go with either Iiyama or Samsung...

A screens a screen.

Only rubbish ones will show any noticable diffenece to the CRT for gaming etc.

DVI ability would be preferable however, as it is marginally noticable that the picture is crisper.... of course some people don't like over crispness.

the fast the response the better... but don't worry about it too much, viewing angles are a noncence too, my Sammy 172V can be viewed almost parralel to the screen (horizontally), the viewing angle was not quoted as 180° or whatever though, and at the end of the day why would you look at it from obscure angles? it a pc monitor not a livingrooom TV.

My monitor is the Iiyama E431S. Spent ages looking for it at Easter as they'd gone out of production. according to the website, they've brought them back due to popular demand. The E431s and E481s look the nicest of any TFT monitors on the market in my opinion, especially in black or beige. I'm not so keen on the silver one as it looks a tad plasticky (as in much like all the other monitors on the market). Anyway, they have a dvi in and a vga in. The vga in works perfectly well for me, and i've not yet had chance to test the dvi in.

I highly recommend it, or it's little brother the E430s if it's still about.

Andy

Got me self a 17" LG Flatron L1715S

Got that one too. No dead pixels, 250 odd 5* reviews on ebuyer, cant be bad! Also has a 3 year collect and return warrenty (not to be overlooked..)

Parents got the model up, think its the same panel with a fancier chrome surround and a blue on button. Id reccomend either.