Rubber Suplies

Mr Motivator

You'll never get me lucky charms!

As everyone has said, industrial estates are a good bet but since you've tried looking maybe take the yellow pages out and have a gander? if not theres always call 118 500 and ask for rubber suppliers in your area.

its not rubber that is used for pads..... i will say no more.... as its took some comapnies a lot of research into materials.... and its just not fair on them if i tell every tom dick n harry what the materials called (Y)

hope you understand..

its not rubber that is used for pads.....  i will say no more.... as its took some comapnies a lot of research into materials.... and its just not fair on them if i tell every tom dick n harry what the materials called (Y)

hope you understand..

You know that about as useful as a chocolate tea pot. Like someone saying I've got a secret but I cant tell you.

TELL!!

it is useful... because ive told you its not rubber...

what a crock of shit. it's polyurethane and you can formulate it millions of different ways.

you give absolutely zero away when you tell someone that it's polyurethane. it's like saying your bike is made out of metal.

and companies don't deserve any protection. this isn't a trade secret. if they don't want people messing with their products then they shouldn't be releasing them.

I used to buy it in sheet form, made to a certain thickness for my white backings. You have to buy it in quite big quantities though, and is not easy to get hold of samples in the thickness you want.

I now buy it in granule form which is a little harder to get hold of. But i dont think granules would be a lot of use to you, without the tooling. B)

Get on google, and buy a big roll. :P But its not easy and it will cost money. In fact it is probably cheaper to buy pads in the long run, also it is alot kinder on your hands and a lot less stressful to just buy pads. :blink:

......In fact it is probably cheaper to buy pads in the long run, also it is alot kinder on your hands and a lot less stressful to just buy pads. :blink:

Tell me about it! It's all cost me alot more in terms of time, money and stress than I was ever expecting.

After starting to go down the road and becoming comitted to it I've forked out many thousands of pounds to get to this point with backing supply and quality moulded pads sorted. The final part of the jigsaw puzzle is very thorough and objective testing (not subjective!) For the testing, it really is a full time job and so easy to be affected by other perceptions such as colour and who the supplier is etc. I just don't have time to do this aswell, hence me pausing pad supply again and turning to Adam for his honest assessments.

If you're going to do some testing and eliminate a good deal of the subjective side, you could copy the model that we've currently got going. I send Adam pads which look identical to the previous ones (same colour and height) and only tell him about their source and the grade once he's come to his own conclusions based solely on how they ride. In the long run this approach will be worthwhile because the performance of the compound will be understood as clearly as possible so there will be no need for any embarassing pauses to do more testing! :">

Getting the right compound takes a long time - some grades that last really well don't grip, whilst the majority of commonly available grades grip great but don't last long. Then there's finding a decent supplier who can release the compound so it's consistantly to the same spec - for example the usual softness tolerances are really a bit wide for the ideal pad spec. Plus how to get the pads into the right shape to fit the backings presents problems - either spend ages (it took me 1 hour of concentrated work to make a pair of pads by hand) cutting your fingers to ribbons, or dig deep into your pocket to get a mould tool sorted out. All very time consuming, annoying, and often costly!

Looking at my finances, I won't be making any money on the pads for quite a while. But I could have easily blown the same amount of money on something like a fancy car I guess, and for me the pads have kept me busy and interested!

Good luck!

Steve