How To Make Pads?

JT!

Bought some Rimjam red rubber ages ago and want to stick some onto some old backings (the backings that maguras come with standard) but when I bolied them and ripped the old material off there's like two notches sticking up, and and big circle sicking up slightly.

What's the best way to stick the rubber to the backings? I'm starting to think i'm going to have to drill two small holes in the bit of rubber or something along those lines, but don't know what to do about the circle in the middle. :(

What type of glue would be suitable? I have some locktite, but something tells me that that isn't going to be as good as some other types of glue out there.

And what's the best thing to cut this rubber up, i'm thinking hacksaw, just seing if anyone has any better ideas / techniques.

Thanks :D (Y) (This should give me something to do untill it stops raining :) )

Edited by JT!

use arodhite adhsieve (i aint got a clue how to spell any of that!) and leave it clamped in a vice overnite.

and poss put two tiny countersunk screws through the backing into the back of the pad... for extra safety.

my mate managed to perminatly fix to pads togeather by doing this, so he could use his D521 in his levelboss.. he was too lazy to get a wide rim.

use arodhite adhsieve (i aint got a clue how to spell any of that!) and leave it clamped in a vice overnite.

and poss put two tiny countersunk screws through the backing into the back of the pad... for extra safety.

my mate managed to perminatly fix to pads togeather by doing this, so he could use his D521 in his levelboss.. he was too lazy to get a wide rim.

Ah that's it. Araldite adhesive (gotta love google for spellings :( ) Cheers for that.

Any idea on making the rubber the right shape to fit them?

Quick question... how long do u boil it for and dose it come off like gum on shoes or like really easily?

Oh... and can u pressurize your breaks by your self? or do u need a pro to do that from a  bike shop?

I boiled mine for like 3 mins and just pulled it off with two pairs of plyers.

What do you mean by pressurise? :(

Just bang them 2 plastic bits outa the old backings and cut the pad to shape n fire it in wid sum bonding glue :(

Well, i was thinking of drilling two holes for those 2 bits sticking up as it would help the stuff stay on. Its the big circle sticking up in the middle thats the problem. Supose i could drill that out if i hd a big enough drill bit.

Erm, thats the clip, you'll be needing that!

Clues on how to do it are here: http://www.heatsinkbikes.com/?p=hs33

Oh no, i came across wrong, i meant drill a circle out of the rubber, not drill the clip out. :(

I see how the heatsink ones are done, but the hard part will be cutting the 'dent' out of the rubber.

You could also drill out the end square posts in the backing, to say 6mm, this will then get rid of that square block at each end, which will then make it easier to cut a pad to fit.

P.S drilling that red rubber can be quite dangerous :D It seems to grip to the drill bit and not let go until you do. (Y)" So be careful. :(

And i might have some green and blue rubber for sale soon, which would be easier to cut, as it firmer. :)

You could also drill out the end square posts in the backing, to say 6mm, this will then get rid of that square block at each end, which will then make it easier to cut a pad to fit.

P.S drilling that red rubber can be quite dangerous  :angry: It seems to grip to the drill bit and not let go until you do.  :D" So be careful.  :)

And i might have some green and blue rubber for sale soon, which would be easier to cut, as it firmer.  (Y)

Like i said befor i think i'll keep the square sticky out bit, as i want to make sure the rubber's going to stay on the backing. :(

Dibbs on a bit of blue rubber you sell. :angry:"

Don't touch the drill - that's for sure! Be really careful with the stanley knife too, since the blades loose sharpness very quickly and so you'll find yourself pushing with some considerable force and when the blade slips, fingers are much easier to cut apart!

Always cut away from yourself and never be tempted to do one cut towards - every time I have done it towards, disaster!

You won't believe the amount of bleeding fingers I've had over the past year! The worry about doing it fades, but they tend to bleed for ages!!

To make 2 pads, you'll need to use several blades to keep it relatively easy (so you always have a sharpish blade)

Also, cut somewhere that you don't mind the surface being cut up - avoid the family dining table!

To make it easier to hand cut accurate pads repeatably (cuts in the right places, to the right depth etc), I developed some jigs, and Adam has too I believe. It's not worth putting the amount of time and effort into making up some jigs if you're only going to be making a couple of sets of pads, they only make sense in the long run. I found that it took me many days of making difference versions of the jigs before I finally had them working well, and their design will remain a trade secret!

Steve