Bt Broadband? Wtf!

BONGO

i just dialled up to my 512kb/s broadband BT connection, and it said, as normal, "you are now connected to BT broadband at .....kb/s"

BUT, it wasn't 512kb/s as normal, it was 2.2MB/s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the fooooook!!!!!!

john

that happend to my mate, and BT tryed charging him extra, saying his computer has been alterd to pull a higher bandwidth.

he had so much trouble with bt broadband, it kept disconnecting its self, and got so clogged up with spyware (even though he took the proper precautions) , everytime he logged on, stuff was automatically being downloaded and exceeding his download limit, before he had a chance to use it himself!

He told them to stick it in the end!

Telewest is the way. my 1mb b/band averages at 1.5mb and has topped at 2.4mb! and i get no problems!

Mint, you have either been upgraded for free or it has been given to you by mistake like my mate had.

Wish telewest did free upgrades  :-

Telewest do loads of free upgrades!

I'm on a connection that was 1mb when we initially bought it, and is now at 2mb for the same price, via free upgrades (N)

I've had download speeds of about 80000kb/s before, for about 1/20th of a second, which managed to download most of a trials video in that time B)

I've also had downloads going constantly at 500kb/s before, which is bloody mental :D

I'm on a connection that was 1mb when we initially bought it, and is now at 2mb for the same price, via free upgrades (N)

I've had download speeds of about 80000kb/s before, for about 1/20th of a second, which managed to download most of a trials video in that time B)

I've also had downloads going constantly at 500kb/s before, which is bloody mental :-

I didn't think that 500kb/second was possible on a 2.2mb line. I'm nearly sure it's not.

You can test your speed for free at http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/. I'm on 2.2mb with Bt, and I get 250kb/sec usually, sometimes 125kb/sec if it's a slow server.

Nick

Mint, you have either been upgraded for free or it has been given to you by mistake like my mate had.

Wish telewest did free upgrades  (N)

They have done twice. My 512k went upto 750k and now its 1mb

I didn't think that 500kb/second was possible on a 2.2mb line. I'm nearly sure it's not.

2048kbps / 8 = 256Kbps

No its not possible. The high speeds you often see at the start of a download are because its not downloaded enough to develop a proper average.

Im still waiting for my 8mb B)

Mine was upgraded ages ago...

Anyway, it's nothing great. Most sites don't give you that much speed anyway. And your uplaod remains the same to all 'file sharing' programes don't speed up either.

You can test your speed for free at http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/. I'm on 2.2mb with Bt, and I get 250kb/sec usually, sometimes 125kb/sec if it's a slow server.

Nick

At college on the 30 computer network we can get 400kb/s at a constant rate so it can be done. Is 2.2Mb connection I think, might be more

At college on the 30 computer network we can get 400kb/s at a constant rate so it can be done. Is 2.2Mb connection I think, might be more

On a 2MB connection, the highest download rate you can get is 240 (ish).

(N)

I've also had downloads going constantly at 500kb/s before, which is bloody mental :-

Where do you clickeydeeclick for this free upgrade?? i am still using the same 1mb that i purchased with telewest 6 months ago... didnt realize there was free upg's?

linkey please?

Ry

im still waiting for the tits at ntl to upgrade me to the 1mb conection.

If you use your set-top box as the connection to NTL and you have the old box (dark gray) then you need to phone up and make an appointment for them to upgrade it to the silver box one.

If you use a Modem to upgrade, then go to the ntlhome.com site and find the upgrade page, you simple have to follow a few instructions, and it tells the modem to change speed. (N)